Sign in to follow this  
Gabar fiican

somali christians

Ms DD   

Being in Qurba, our faith is constantly challenged. One can not escape from these constant questioning and challenges in Islam. Which is why muslims need to educate themselves in their deen and strengthen their eemaan. It is very easy to be athiest or christian in these countries and people do become those. So as muslims we have to learn our deen in order to defend it from Islamaphobes and also the muslim extremists (those who blow up trains) in our midst.

Som@li   

THere are some somalis who are christians, some were born christians and some converted.

Fpr example,Micheal Maryama was somali christian and the same time somali hero.

So i don;t see what is the surprise.You don;t to be a Muslim to be a somali.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

Just this past friday an Indian made his shahada in the masjid i was at masha allah. Statistics revealed in a website (i will find it) revealed that most reverts here are of western (white) origin with Filipino and Chinese behind.

I like to see stats... very much doubt Westerners are reverting to Islam in droves, specially in post-9/11 climate. In the States, I think Budhism is fastest growing religion. And about people reverting to Islam, it means nothing. People convert/revert between religions all the time, nothing unique about few Western reverts.

But my central point still stands. Most people of faith, 85-95%, follow the same faith as their parents.

Indians are a stubborn bunch, you notice just from talking to them.

India has one of the largest muslim populations. There are more muslims in India than Pakistan and nearly as many as in Indonesia. Striking statistic.
Could you be any more obnoxious, tasteless and evidence-less for your assertions? :rolleyes:

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

THere are some somalis who are christians, some were born christians and some converted.

Fpr example,
Micheal Maryama was somali christian and the same time somali hero.

So i don;t see what is the surprise.You don;t to be a Muslim to be a somali.

How do you expect people to know who he was, saaxib? I mean there is no Wikipedia entry for him. :D

Originally posted by ThePoint:

Could you be any more obnoxious, tasteless

Sure I can.

and evidence-less for your assertions? :rolleyes:

The onus to present evidence is on the claimant. In this case, Northerner. Not moi.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

very much doubt Westerners are reverting to Islam in droves, specially in post-9/11 climate.

In the States, I think Budhism is fastest growing religion.

And about people reverting to Islam, it means nothing. People convert/revert between religions all the time, nothing unique about few Western reverts.

But my central point still stands. Most people of faith, 85-95%, follow the same faith as their parents.

These are all your assertions - and it is upto you to prove them. Unless of course this is the usual 'out of your *** ' nonsense.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

quote:Originally posted by Socod_badne:

very much doubt Westerners are reverting to Islam in droves, specially in post-9/11 climate.

This can't even be mistaken for an assertion. How you come to think I was making an assertion -- a positive statement -- fails me.

quote:

In the States, I think Budhism is fastest growing religion.

First, this is not an assertion per se. I didn't say Budhism is the fastest growing religion in the States, just that I think... based on something I read while back in a magazine about popularity of Budhism among Westerners. That said, here are some stats if you're interested.

ARIS data to 2001

More recent data

And about people reverting to Islam, it means nothing. People convert/revert between religions all the time, nothing unique about few Western reverts.

The above links discuss in detail how people switch religions. And the difficulty that poses in gathering data. This very thread's original purpose was about muslim Somalis who opted for Christianity.

The evidence for this is Somalis. But pick any other community and you'll find similar stats.

Originally posted by Northerner:

babble on,,,,,,,,,,

So your evidence for Westerners converting to Islam in droves include such anecdotes as Italian Ambassador and Jarmaine Jackson embrace of Islam. Is this a joke? And thousands converting in a land of nearly 300 million is a drop in the ocean. When you get millions of Americans converting to Islam do you have a case.

N.O.R.F   

SB, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the west. You know that. If its not true 'show me the money' so to speak,,

babble babble babble

N.O.R.F   

A few references to check up on, you some how didnt mention these as they are within the same link i provided.

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..." Hillary Rodman Clinton, Los Angeles Times, May 31, 1996, p.3

"Already more than a billion-people strong, Islam is the world's fastest-growing religion." ABCNEWS, Abcnews.com

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the country." NEWSDAY, March7,1989, p.4

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the United States..." NEW YORK TIMES, Feb 21, 1989, p.1

"Moslems are the world's fastest-growing group..." USA TODAY, The population referance bureau, Feb. 17, 1989, p.4A

"Muhummed is the most successful of all Prophets and religious personalities." Encyclopedia Britannica

"There are more Muslims in North America then Jews Now." Dan Rathers, CBSNEWS

"Islam is the fastest growing religion in North America." TIMES MAGAZINE

"Islam continues to grow in America, and no one can doubt that!" CNN, December 15, 1995

"The religion of Islam is growing faster than any other religion in the world." MIKE WALLACE, 60 MINUTES

"Five to 6 million strong, Muslims in America already outnumber Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and Mormons, and they are more numerous than Quakers, Unitarians, Seventh-day Adventists, Mennonites, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Christian Scientists, combined. Many demographers say Islam has overtaken Judaism as the country's second-most commonly practiced religion; others say it is in the passing lane." JOHAN BLANK, USNEWS (7/20/98)

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/980720/archive_004363.htm

"In fact, religion experts say Islam is the second-largest religion in the United States... Islam has 5 million to 6 million members, followed by Judaism, with approximately 4.5 million..... And Islam is believed to be fastest-growing religion in the country, with half its expansion coming from new immigrants and the other half from conversions." By ELSA C. ARNETT, Knight-Ridder News Service

ps you still believe buddism or was it hindusim? is the fastest growing religion in the US? :D

Originally posted by Northerner:

SB, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the west. You know that.

No, I don't know that. Last I checked, the US was part of the West. Islam is not the fastest growing religion in the States. But even if you're right, so what? What exactly do you hope to achieve with such stat?

Top Twenty Religions in the United States, 2001

(self-identification, ARIS)

Religion 1990 Est.

Adult Pop. 2001 Est.

ADULT Pop. 2004 Est.

Total Pop. % of U.S. Pop.,

2000 % Change

1990 - 2000

Christianity 151,225,000 159,030,000 224,437,959 76.5% +5%

Nonreligious/Secular 13,116,000 27,539,000 38,865,604 13.2% +110%

Judaism 3,137,000 2,831,000 3,995,371 1.3% -10%

Islam 527,000 1,104,000 1,558,068 0.5% +109%

Buddhism 401,000 1,082,000 1,527,019 0.5% +170%

Agnostic 1,186,000 991,000 1,398,592 0.5% -16%

Atheist 902,000 1,272,986 0.4%

Hinduism 227,000 766,000 1,081,051 0.4% +237%

Unitarian Universalist 502,000 629,000 887,703 0.3% +25%

Wiccan/Pagan/Druid 307,000 433,267 0.1%

Spiritualist 116,000 163,710 0.05%

Native American Religion 47,000 103,000 145,363 0.05% +119%

Baha'i 28,000 84,000 118,549 0.04% +200%

New Age 20,000 68,000 95,968 0.03% +240%

Sikhism 13,000 57,000 80,444 0.03% +338%

Scientology 45,000 55,000 77,621 0.02% +22%

Humanist 29,000 49,000 69,153 0.02% +69%

Deity (Deist) 6,000 49,000 69,153 0.02% +717%

Taoist 23,000 40,000 56,452 0.02% +74%

Eckankar 18,000 26,000 36,694 0.01% +44%

Islam's percent change from 1990 to 2000 was 109%. All the data points in bold indicate faster growth rate than Islam.

N.O.R.F   

But even if you're right, so what? What exactly do you hope to achieve with such stat?

To prove my earlier point which you contested?

ps those stats are bogus

Aaliyyah   

asalaamu alaikum,

I have heard before somali christians :mad: . However, i havent met one and i hope it stays like that ,i am not sure i can tolerate an individual who calls emself somali yet claims to be christian :confused: . insha-allah ilaahay ba so hadeen doona kuwii dariiq qalada raacay aamin.

wa salaamu alaikum