Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Saudi Judge says it Ok to slap wives

(May 10) -- Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.

Arab News, a Saudi English-language daily newspaper based in Riyadh, reported that Judge Hamad Al-Razine said that "if a person gives SR 1,200 [$320] to his wife and she spends 900 riyals [$240] to purchase an abaya [the black cover that women in Saudi Arabia must wear] from a brand shop and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment."

Women in the audience immediately and loudly protested Al-Razine's statement, and were shocked to learn the remarks came from a judge, the newspaper reported.

Arab News reported that Al-Razine made his remark as he was attempting to explain why incidents of domestic violence had increased in Saudi Arabia. He said that women and men shared responsibility, but added that "nobody puts even a fraction of blame" on women, the newspaper said.

Al-Razine "also pointed out that women's indecent behavior and use of offensive words against their husbands were some of the reasons for domestic violence in the country," it added.

Domestic violence, which used to be a taboo subject in the conservative kingdom, has become a hot topic in recent years. Groups like the National Family Safety Program have campaigned to educate the public about the problem and help prevent domestic abuse.

Saudi women's rights activist Wajeha Al-Huwaider told CNN that Saudi women routinely face such attitudes. "This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women," she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It's not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They've been raised to see women this way, that they're less than a person."

Al-Huwaider added that "I'm not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they've been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it's ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works."

Another Saudi judge, in the city of Onaiza, was the source of a separate recent controversy: he twice denied a request from the mother of an 8-year-old girl that the girl be granted a divorce from her 47-year-old husband.

Last month, after human-groups condemned the union, the girl was granted the divorce.

Source

Slap on the face? Didn't the prophet say that even slaves should not be hit on the face? I will never be surprised by anything that comes from either Saudi Arabia or India.

Salma   

First of all, every muslim should ask him/herself before believing or accepting any fatwa: Who is the person who declared it? Is he to be trusted? Is he a well-known Mufti who can say fatwas?

Obviously & painfully, now any and everyone from the street has the guts to say a fatwa without realizing the danger behind saying fatwas and without knowledge or understanding.

Second, I strongly believe that all the muslims should learn their religion and read from the trusted books. I just don't understand, we are not in the middle ages where the Popes used to control the holy books and never allow anyone to understand. We don't have popes in Islam, and no intermediaries between us and Allah, Islam is not like the other religions that limited its rights to one person.

Islam has given us the right to look, read, learn and explore till we reach the truth about everything. No sit down and relax and let someone else to fill our brains with wrong interpretation and information.

To the topic:

I wonder, why the Shaikh couldn't provide better solutions and other alternatives like "If the wife is found to be Money-water or spend money on extravaganza items, then simply reduce the amount of money given to her or cut it completely from her NOT SLAP her".

Any man should NOT slap a kid, a woman or even an animal... This is weakness and not a solution nor a manhod. Raising a hand is is not a solution,, it only suits those pyscho and unstable sadist...

There was this story from the Prophet's time (PBUH). A youn man came to the prophet and asked him to allow him to commit fornication. Guess what, he asked him this infront of all the sahabah (The prophet's compaions). However, the prophet did not slap him at his face, nor asked the sahabah to kill him. Rather, he discussed with him logically while caring about his psychology : Would you accept it for your mom, the young man replied: No. Then the prophet (BPUH) asked him again: Would you accept it for your sister, and again the young man replied: no.

Then the prophet put his noble hand on his chest and prayed for him and asked Allah to guide him to the right path.

I wonder why the Fatwa announcer didn't consider such wisdom, mercy and logic in dealing with someone who wasted money on Abaya.

FF: This has nothing to do with India or Saudi Arabia, Russia or even New York. Muslims are everywhere and you will find someone who is ready to give strange fatwas... Unfortunately, some muslim males don't know about islam anything but:

1. Islam gave me the right to marry four

2. Islam gave me the right to beat my women

2. And when they can't solve a problem with a woman the only verse they will say is "Surely it is a guile of you women; surely your guile is great"

Let's work our brains before accepting and believing any fatwa by learning more about Islam, and for women I say: Know better about your rights and obligations... read well and open your mind very well and keep discussing. And if he slaps you (god forbidden)........Go d gave u a fist to defend yourself, do some punching (Under the belt is the best) :D

Ismahaan   

Wha a mentally Retarded judge. :mad:

According to the Qur'an the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on mutual love and kindness ((Ar-Rum: 21 or An-Nisa’: 19).Thus Islam does not permit beating or abusing women. According to Aisha (RC) prophet Mohamed peace be upon HIM has never beaten any of his wives or servants and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. The matter of beating a woman is mentioned in the Noble Qur'an (chapter 38 - verse 44) ("And take in your hand a bundle of thin grass and strike therewith (your wife), and break not your oath. Truly! Allah (God) has found him patient. How excellent (a) slave! Verily, he was ever oft-returning in repentance (to Us)!).

The word "beating" is used in the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse”. This verse has been greatly misconceived by many people who focus merely on its surface meaning, taking it to allow wife beating. The Prophet (SCW) explained it "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark" (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43). Thus the beating mentioned in the Noble Qur'an means touching the person to draw his or her attention and not the beating that people are accustomed to.

Our prophet (SCW) further said that face must be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak, or toothbrush. Another hadith: the prophet (SCW) said, “Do not beat the female servants of Allah".Thus the true following of the Sunnah is to follow the example of the Prophet (SCW.) who never resorted to that measure, regardless of the circumstances.

Allahu ya3lam

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala guide us all, ameen.

The truth about wife beating and Islam

Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.

He had the guts to utter such nonesense at a domestic violence seminar? :mad: . The S.t.u.p.i.d.i.t.y and ignorance of these so called "sheikhs" sickens me.

ps. How come the majority of Muslim females be they Arabs or Africans dont know their rights under the sharia law?I hate it when in the mosque, Somali women(learned women mind you) who can have a sister to answer their questions gather arround and ask the most ridiclous questions like "Oh if my husband has sex with me while I'm "sleep", do I have to shower in order to fast?" WTF? :mad:

What is with Muslim shaikhs and women affairs? Every sermon you listen, be it from Somali Shaikh or Arab would circle around woman's issues. Can women do this and that? what to wear and who to talk, can Husband have this and that(sex.) Is Islam reduced to only these?

NGONGE   

^^ Just followed the thought patterns of the Nomads above. Very easy to conclude that women are the root of all evil. Google. Voila! :D