Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Traditional Vs Host nation's influences....

Xalimopatra, it's traditional for me all the way! Luxurious hotel, sumptuous Gown, gorgeous flower arrangements and beautiful tiered cakes (see below)- the whole enchilada, so to speak. Mmmm....*Disappears into Ahura's Fantasy World* --->

24207_B.jpg

almeriamainstage.jpg

25295Back.jpg

img0large.jpg

58.jpg

Selina.jpg

14.jpg

Lol Aeronwen.I'm assuming the cake will be timir and malab flavoured&icing albeit with a touch of caano geel flavour eh?You know to go along with the traditional theme? icon_razz.gif I'm in love with that cake lakiin,the pure white one.I like your dresses too.Im a lace and satin girl myself(Or I was).....

Naa I always assumed that I would wear a white gown until I had a dream a lil while ago where I got married.It touched me so much because my aunt (Allahu uu naxaristo)was in it and everyone was wearing Somali attire.So I've kind of scrapped my mental bridal mood boards.All of which contained these beauties below and started afresh.Drastic,maybe but it feels right smile.gif

Guudbeey my baaybis!!!!

8250f.jpg

8217a.jpg

8244f.jpg

BTW Does anyone ever have good dreams??Like happy prosperous ones and much loved family member/s who died appear in them?My favourite aunt who passed away 3 years ago Allahu uu naxaristo always seems to be in them smiling.....Ok I'll shut up now before the tears start to well up but I was just curious does anyone have those type and what do they usually signal/indicate...If anything?

Salaan...

I had a sister who had a very traditional wedding back in the day when it was rarest of the rare to have a traditional, Soomaali-style dress wedding. I always admired that wedding. It was in 1988. What the heck, since I've a picture on the PC, let me share it with you.

aroos4qp.jpg

My sister's aroos, in 1988. It was held at Hotel Jubba [not the scene in this picture]. [Enjoy before it is removed. And noo, the boy isn't me. :D ]

Nephissa   

War hooy, you couldn't be that young in 88, the boy is not you! You'r the one grinning ear to ear next to him. Man you haven't changed a bit. I once saw you @ the Eaton center in TO. :D

STOIC   

If the ball will be on my court when I am marrying, she who must be “obeyed†must do away with the 20 inch dress that is cleaning the pavement. I will prefer a marriage whereby my wife will be donning on her latest “diiraac and gabsaarâ€. All I will need to do is come in the middle of the night and take my wife with me. There will be no late night hostage of my wifey by her friends or family members! Of course all this is just a dream at the moment since there is no marriage in my family that ended without any complications coming up after everything has been planned. This is one reason I dislike intensely big weddings. I am praying to god that she who must be “obeyed†will be an understanding one when the wedding stress will build up on her!

EDITED: MMA, the dress that your sister got on is so natural and authentic.I will prefer my wifey to put on that dress on the Xeeratha night

^ :D

XaliimoPatra,

A dream, you say? How strange. No, I can't say I have ever had such a dream. My dreams usually contain the opposite of yours, i.e. living members of my family dying horrible deaths. I know, I know...I have been meaning to see a shrink and figure out what it all means, but I haven't had the time.

Pretty dresses, those. Especially love the ruffled and embroidered middle one. You can see the pattern, can't you? Fitted, off-the-shoulder bodice with a voluptuous, trailing skirt...that's the style I like.

And..urm..yeah...of course it will all be very traditional. The cake, although resembling the one above, will be made of timir and camel milk (Eurgh)! :D

MMA,

LoL @ 'the boy isn't me'. 'Course it isnt! ;)

aahhh...ummmmmmmm..those wedding cakes yummmyy!

Those wedding gowns(salivatingly)Scrumptious!

darn it, this means I have to atleast consider one of those marriage offers dont I? just to wear one of those :D

---------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometime

Aeronwen

I get those kind of dreams too.I swear nothing is worse then waking up with that pain&emptyness that trailed on from the dream in the pit of your calool.When you think the person is dead and then realise it was a dream.The relief is immense too but then I remember how death is inevitable and how much of a fuuley I am. redface.gif

Chocolato iyo malab

I know someplace where you can get a good deal on a inflatable Farax.Lol.....Damn if only life were that easy eh?

M-M-Aqiyaar

The boy is not me ku lahaa Lol.You just shot yourself in the foot there mate.Lol you look like the kind of boy in the suuq isn't afraid to tell folk if their hair looked funny or if they looked fat in those chinis or accidently had their nigis sticking out of their goono albeit shouting in front of everyone Lol(Painful memories) :(

Anywho thanks for sharing that pic walaal.Your sis aka qalanjo qoor dheer is my H.E.R.O gacan iyo luug baan uu taagey :D

Salaan...

Barwaaqo/Aerowen/Ahura, can you baliis tell these ladies that the boy isn't really me. Nothing with him; he is an older brother. The fact is, he isn't me. Kuli fidna Adena ayaa keentay.

The only person that is right is Bishaaro, though where we've met wasn't at Eaton. I am the grinning gentleman standing at the back with the black shirt. :D

Stoic, haa brother. It is a simplistic dress that doesn't cost much, and on the top of that has a relevant cultural history to us. I don't understand why maryooleey spend too much on a one-time-use "taash" and suits. It just doesn't add up. I always admired this aroos, but sad thing was that night I and other kids weren't allowed to attend it. I was so maaaaaaaaaaaaad, wailing and shrieking the whole night, finally when my mother gave me a hundred shilin. I was still crying when I slept and woke up finding myself sleeping at outside.

Quruxleey, I hope your aroos will be like that.