Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Malaysia

N.O.R.F   

Keeping in true SOL tradition,,,,,,,,

Yaabka Yaabkis iyo Sheh (and any one else who has been)

Bal meesha ka warama.

Can KL and Penang be done in 1 week?

Weather in mid April?

Yaabka, I'm assuming you're in KL?

Appreciated.

I have been there[KL and Langkawi]...to trully appreciate KL you will need about a week (depending on what you want to see/ or do) ---

I have been there few times and loved it. waxaad ka dhergeysaa EPL for sure!

I'll come back later with more info.

Cheers

N.O.R.F   

^Look forward to hearing it. EPL waan ka nasanayaa saxib. Looking forward to lazying on a beach for a few days.

-Lily-   

North, I'm envious. Malaysia is high on my list of to visit. I read somewhere that May to September was best time to visit for perfect beach weather but I guess depends on which area.

I would suggest getting a good guide book as well as what personal info you get from here.

p.s. I thought Langkawi was a honeymoon destination icon_razz.gif

Go early in April. The Malaysian Grand prix!: http://malaysiangp.com.my/eticket/f1/

I think you can do both Penang and KL in a week; depends what pace you enjoy. You should be outside the rainiest parts of the year. Georgetown is quirky. Stayed in a couple of shady places but you should be OK. Look for holes in walls where an eyeball may lurk if u go cheap. The Chinese-run establishments gave us the most unexpected(peep holes & such) and sometimes unpleasant(open sewers) experiences.

Got too much pervy attention, I'm afraid. Weird at first but became normally eventually(you can get used to anything!). Everything runs somoothly and we didn't have any problems. Eat everything LoL(no, don't, some places are not halal if Chinese-run particularly). Mainstream venues should be; if in doubt ask and a thumb will point at a halal certificate on a wall. LoL. There's a dessert made of ice, beans etc that was disgusting. Try it, you might like it. Caramel pop corn- you'll smell it. Buy it(for the kids. Not). Murtabak, umm, got a food fixation today. The Indian Malay food is delicious- nice combo.

Point with your thumb- that's what they'll do when you ask for directions. You can't NOT shop. More malls than you know what to do with.. Hang out in the Golden Triangle for this. China Town worth a visit; I think there was a Lil India area too. Bollywood songs blaring at you from every shop.

I went up a tower with a glass floor, OOuuccc, that I walked on to get over my height fear(didn't work). Don't remember if it was the KL Tower or the Petronas Towers.

TripAdvisor is a good site and should know:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298570-Act ivities-Kuala_Lumpur_Wilayah_Persekutuan.html

I have been in Malaysia last August and I really really enjoyed my stay there. One thing I noticed was that things were little bit expensive in some places and when I asked ppl why that expensiv I was told that back in the days things used to be so cheap but not any more especially after the arrivals of these wealthy arab families coming to Malaysia as their holiday destination. They have spoiled the whole city with their stupidh cash and make life miserable for rest of non-malay communities likes Somalis. Note most of Somalis there are students who relay on whatever small remittance they get from their relatives.

The malay people are generally well-disciplined and highly educated society with good manners. Unlike any other muslim countries most of malay women are highly-skilled professionals and have good jobs, proud of their Islamic identity you would hardly see a malay woman without Hijab. Those not wearing Hijab are of course the chinese eventho I later learned they don’t look the same. While you stay in kuala lumpur if you want cunto soomali the only place you can get it is of course the main canteen of the great Islamic University in KL at very low cost. There is only one so-called Somali “restaurant” never go there, you been warned!.

Upon meeting with local Somalis in KL, the first thing they will ask you is “which city in Australia do you come from?” of course it is the only place the ausie somalis ka qaraabtan I was told. ileen meelaha kale ma soo gaari karaane smile.gif

Another good place is to go deep south to Singapore. It is like Dubai very expansive but not too bad at all for a two or three days stay. Another option is to go up north all the way to Bangok.

Whatever the situation I am sure you will enjoy your stay in KL sxb. Bon voyage!

N.O.R.F   

Ibti, yes we are heading east.

Lily, something we wanted to do for ages. Hearing many good things about the place. Might as well do it before we get the summer visitors.

She, thanks! I hope the 4 and 5 star hotels don't have those holes in the wall. I'm certainly looking forward to the food delights.

Allamagan, thanks for the heads up on the Somali side of things. I hope Yaabkis shows me around 'Somali KL'.

Sxb KL is funny place...it a city for all kinds of People...

When it comes to food – I love their food and most decent hotels will have Bed & breakfast as part of the deal - - - do not take it if you can get that deal - - - -I loved their breakie (it is buffet – too much variety). They have the traditional Nasi Lemak, you should try it; it is really good – they have it as breakfast too – i know it is funny. Since the family are going with you i suggest that you do not eat from the Food Kiosks but they are quite cheap – we had a three meal course for three of us for just 32 ringit (3 pounds total). It included the rice budding Sheh mentioned which i thought it was decent.

There are many arab restaurants, as well as Indian, chinese and so on. So food is good. There is this restaurant that have left me with a huge impression – it is on Sunway Pyramid Shopping Centre – it is Balinese – their food is something else, you should pay them a visit and take a picture of the food. I have the pics somewhere I need to find them.

What to do – there is not much to do in KL except shopping, experiencing the city nightlife, KL Tower and Petronus Towers. NOTE: Arabs are everywhere, all tourists, they are overtaking the place.

If you are into Digital stuff go to Low Yan Mall (Can’t remember the spelling) it is next to Bukit Pintang Mall – they have good stuff – whatever you do – do not buy movies from the Chinese DVD pirates, you will get the copyright movies at the same price as they charge– the real ones are very cheap and most importantly the copyrighted ones do work.

I have not been to Penang – but If you can pay a visit to Langkawi do that there are so many adventurous things you can do – and the weather is sooo goood – i have never ever been a place with such a weather and fresh air – even Somalia bacaad baa looga tagayaa....

PS: Unless you are buying from one of the big Shopping Centres, prices are not fixed...haggle them as much as you can.

Anything else you can PM me – anytime.

Cheers

N.O.R.F   

Thanks saxib. Sounds like Langkaawi has more to offer.

So I can't get away from Arabs miya? That is one of the reasons aan aadaayo the far east.

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

..If you are into Digital stuff go to Low Yan Mall (Can’t remember the spelling) it is next to Bukit Pintang Mall – they have good stuff – whatever you do – do not buy movies from the Chinese DVD pirates, you will get the copyright movies at the same price as they charge– the real ones are very cheap and most importantly the copyrighted ones do work.

Meeshan waa meshan ku jabay Every shop in this mall selling copyrighted items at the front and pirates at the back almost everyshop do this and it is common so if you want pirates you nicely ask the guy and he will take you somewhere at back or basement. I foolishly spent £80 on expensive software and game pirate DVDs (worth of around £1300 in retail price) and when I returned home almost all of the DVDs turned out to be rubish and straight to the bin. ciil! never trust a chinese...