Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Somali national dress

NGONGE   

I’m allergic to “diricss” and “macawis” and I know that most other traditional forms of clothing are not really practical for the times & places we live in. What do you think will make a great Somali national dress? The thuggish hip-hop attire? The Italian style fashion?

Or, as I believe, the good old Safari suit for men and Asian sarwal qamees (The two-part costume consisting of a long shirt and baggy trousers for women)?

I originally thought of T-shirts and shorts for men and black diving suits for women. But somehow, I don’t think the women will approve of the men’s shorts. ;)

It beggars believe that a man could possibly be have more appeal when out of macawiis and gran. Or a beautifull women be more captivating when not involved in untangling her dirah. How you could possibly utter such profanity is beyond my comprehension!

^^ I completely agree Caano Geel. It's beyond believe!

NGONGE,

I'll have you know there's nothing sexier than a freshly washed, freshly ironed faarax in a macwiis and tight a little t-shirt!

<<<----**Stares off into the distance as her eyes glaze over**

Originally posted by Barwaaqo:

I'll have you know there's nothing sexier than a freshly washed, freshly ironed faarax in a macwiis and tight a little t-shirt!

Tight? :eek: ..there is nothing more off-putting than a man in a tight t-shirt! redface.gif

Barwaaqo, sister, wha-cha-ya mean by this:

freshly washed, freshly ironed

Surely the appeal is in the superior level of comfort and ease a farax displays as he launches back sipping his tea and admiring you -

AND may i add that this level of comfort is only achieved through the *practical* use of a garment. Further that the creases and stains only add to the level of familiarity associated with them, thereby inceasing their fit and his comfort and your affection for him

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

I dont think any form of clothing will replace the macawiis and diraac .I mean if its easy to wear other forms of clothing why not incorporate diraac into your everyday life special in summer? I did that once , I wore a diraac with a blouse so it wouldnt be transparent , it was cute it looked like a colorful skirt. Girls ,instead of buying skirts use what you got home , :D .

As for the guys ,why not wear macawiis , a simple t-shirt and your usual baseball/basketball hat? Unless you are scared of being called ladies? :D

Jaabir   

i dont know about you guys... but i would put in my nikaax contract that my deeqo wears Dirc every single night :D:D

Baashi   

Diric YES but macawis BIG NO. I have yet to understand its use :D not withstanding that incident in Minneapolis, Uptown to be specific...when the poor nomad made heads turn in admiration :D ...

How about, bud ama bakooro, saandalis, two pieces of white garments, afro, and big bad belt with tooreey (so intimidating and menacing :D )...for men.

For qallanjooyinka...gareys the melindi style ( dib, dhex, kub ;) ...just asking for one prolonged, sustained stare :D ), sandles, timahoo tidcan...with their usual innocent inviting smile!

Aah! I can smell the uunsi..

me like to wear dirac on summer time mmmh and i hate guyz who wear macawis during the daytime uuf they discusting my thing but they go out with the macawis men aint ya suppose to wear that duirng at night time. anywayz beace

^^^ Dirac in da summer time....how revealing is that.

Caano geel- odiyaasheena waxaa lagu yagaanaa fatasheeri iyo shaal (remeber that) odinimada ey muujineysaa

Baashi oo inleen naagaha gareeska xirto waad ka heshaa....meel aad dhaaftay oo fiiris u baahan maba jirtee. waraa dambiga iska kala yaree :D

MD   

I dont like dirac, first of all it's too revealing, secondly i'm just not use to it whenever i'm wearing it the only thing on my mind is not to fall, it's soo damn long..

Rahima   

Dirac- my favourite type of clothing smile.gif . I wear it all the time (of course not outside ;) ) and at every chance.

It is so comfortable walaahi, one of the things i love about our culture.

NGONGE   

I despise Diracs. I just can’t stand seeing a Somali woman wearing one. The nice looking ones look good in them of course. But, that’s not why I dislike that revealing garment. I dislike it because it leaves nothing for the imagination. Everything is there for you to see! Even when women cover themselves up, it’s still too revealing. It’s the way it rests on a woman’s figure showing it in all its glory. In fact, I find a Dirac more revealing than a mini skirt and a see-through white blouse. In addition, a mini skirt (or any other sort of revealing garment) is hardly ever worn by “older” women. Everyone, even seventy-year-old women, wears a Dirac!

My opposition to the Macawis is different; it’s more to do with shoes here. No type of footwear goes well with a Macawis. Trust me, nothing beat a safari suit, guys.

Today, I'm wearing my shades, my old creased Macawis and because it's cold, I'm wearing my red football socks. :cool: