Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Somali Americans combine Somali poetic wisdom with pop melodies

NASSIR   

Somali Americans combine Somali poetic wisdom with pop melodies:

Abbas Abdalla Hirad gets the chorus of praise

By Mohamed Elmi

December 20, 2009

Mr. Abbas Hirad is a new artist whose life blooms with eclectic background. He was born in Jessop Hospital in Sheffield, England in 1984, and was raised in the city of Burao, Togdheer. He is currenly living in the city of New York, NY. At the age of 15 while studying in Khartoum, he participated in an international cultural event with prominent singers from various countries where he performed along with the Sudanese National Orchestra. The Khartoum event became his chief drive and motivation to explore his singing talent further, and seems to have gradually achieved it with tangible success. When he came to NYC, it was his late father Abdalla Hirad who taught him how to play the acoustic/electric guitar.

Abbas_Hirad.jpg

Though locked in a challenging career path as a current student of Civil Engineering at CCNY College in New York, he surprised everyone with his now available online music catalog which register him as a singer with all the qualifying features of a universal talent. His official debut video song "Dardaaran" has attracted loads of listeners from diverse localities. With a supporting cast and a gorgeous young Somali actress Lulu Abdi, "Dardaaran" begins with an introductory lute that clones in perfection its chorus.

Dardaaran rings a call of a passionate wisdom and cautions against those who outwardly manifest as true friends but behave with ulterior malevolent design. It appears to be a conventional Somali wisdom that there exists an illusive adversary against a blissful outlook of matrimony. This theme of literary warning repeats in many lyrical Somali songs. "Dardaaran" moreover brings its listeners to bear a direct experience of Tube'e, the voice king of Somalia in his prime time, and Shay Mire Da'ar, both of whom are now very well-liked and popular among the masses.

Mr Hirad's talent like other flourishing stars-cum expats of Somalia has been held back by the daily tragic stories of back home. Yet he remains very resilient, confident, and with the help of a young and talented song-writer, tries his best to demonstrate a vibrant energy and spirit to keep the Somali musical art alive and in line with the quality of a world-class orchestra aided by modern technology and a collaborative teamwork.

Mr Hirad and other rising stars indeed collaborate with a young and talented producer, Mr Salah Nur Salah "Donyaale", who still finds ample time to promote talented underground singers despite multiple demands of family obligation, auditing professional job, and a just finished MBA program.

Mr Hirad also joined forces with Barkhad Abdi, another young film director and an artful producer of the contents of video songs. Barkhad composes with facility captivating video scenes that instill its viewers with a sense of dignity, hope and independence for his beloved country and its national character.

I first came across the

as the Youtube version of it was released and published via a number of websites. In the video, there's a time the lead character is at a cafe, studying his lecture notes. He finishes up his reading and departs, but he leaves behind his cell at the desk, so he comes back to recover it. Meanwhile, his sweetheart repeatedly calls only to be ignored by the circumstance. And she becomes sick with desire, which slightly feeds into a petty argument that unfortunately gives those who surround her the opportune time to corrupt their relationship.

http://wardheernews.com/Images_09/Som_Am/Abbas_H.jpg]/img]

The Telephone Trauma is a relevant case as sociologist, John Adams Lee, coined it in his empirical research on the structure of a relationship. Some of us are stable, reserved and storgy, others follow their taste so much that they settle for less and disregard apparent personal flaws whereas others are manipulative, social and flexible. Abbas comes across not only as a national singer but conveyer of great wisdom. His very first album will be available in the stores early next year.

The girl is hot. Her lack of patience is not nice. The guy lost the mobile phone for goodness sakes. uff!

speaking of more hot somali chicks, this UK chick is too busy getting comfortable with a black man.

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

speaking of more hot somali chicks, this UK chick is too busy getting comfortable with a black man.

I couldn't help but think the depth of field is way too shallow throughout the video. And also that I really need to upgrade my DSLR. Anybody got spare 2k lying around the house? :D

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Haala:

Nassir Thanks walaalo. I hope the best for Abbas.His songs are amazing.

salaam

You wlc Ina'adeer.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

Hi,

Great post. Is he the son of late Abdalla Hirad, the author.

Yes he is. Abdalla Hirad(AUN). We missed him dearly.

Nassir: thanks for posting. I am good friend of young Abbas. His next song/video is called "Bur'o". He mentioned to me that he will shoot the video both Burco and New York. He told me that this song is personal to him as he grew up in Bur'o.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Koora-Tuunshe:

Nassir: thanks for posting. I am good friend of young Abbas. His next song/video is called "Bur'o". He mentioned to me that he will shoot the video both Burco and New York. He told me that this song is personal to him as he grew up in Bur'o.

How will Bur'o be depicted then as "Somaliland" or in its realistic geography: Somalia, in the video? :D

Looking forward to it.