Sign in to follow this  
Ismahaan

Can you answer a question that has been bugging me?

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

What is being a patriot in the Somali sense?

To most Somali people, being a patriot means standing up for what you believe in; whether wrong or right, and not thinking beyond the box. smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

^I just get the sense there is a lot of misplaced patriotism amongst Somalis. Here in Dubai a lot of the expats stick a small flag on the back of their cars. I always wonder what benefit or joy this brings them. I then recently saw a car with the blue Somali flag plastered all over it with the words 'I LOVE SOMALIA' inscribed on the back window (God knows how he could see through it). The chap was beaming from ear to ear. Very proud of his work and even more so when he saw me looking at it (in shock more than anything else).

Word of advice would be not to jump on the ‘I’m a patriot’ bandwagon. More often than not those who proclaim allegiance to the flag/country do so for geographical reasons (Somalia is one etc) whilst there is endemic inaction on their part when it comes to the need of the people there.

SOLers withstanding of course.

Is is any good being a Patriot anyway.

Who or what can be clasified as a Somali Patriot.

Are Somalinders patriots, Puntlanders.

What about ******ia are they Patriots at all.

What Djoubati, can they be classified as Patriots?

Being Patriotic in just an emotional act that has no bearing on reality and should not be encrouched in my opinion.

Ismahaan   

Let’s try together by Ismahaan@

Let’s try and learn from our past mistakes

Let's forgive, love and respect each other

Let’s support our country through thick and thin in every aspect of life,

even when we together fall short

Let’s believe in ourselves and be proud of our land

Let’s all work to change Somali’s future generation

Let’s take charge of our future

Let's all stand together and help each other

Because without each other we can’t stand

Let's support each other from greed to goodness

Let’s remember the supreme sacrifice that our fore-fathers made

Let’s show the world once more

That Somalia is blessed:

With good people who still uphold nationalism

With good people who want a united Somalia

With good people who are real heroes

With good people who love this country

With good people who want create peace and harmony

With good people who meet each and every test.

Through this land together we stand, divided we fall.

Salaams smile.gif

NASSIR   

What decides the fate of any given society is whether or not it feeds its population and whether or not it uses the surplus of its food production, above the level of equilbrium, to educate its children, build bridges, ports etc. A settled society will then have a big stake in Peace, Law and governance, and collectively preserve the general interest. In Somalia, the only source of income is the political begging bowl or the so called Maandeeq,(madaxtinimo) and every clan wants a big chunk of that pie. So how can we overcome this parochial conflict. It takes a major paradigm shift and a change of attitude towards the virtues of self-reliance and hardwork. We get the resources but we lack the drive and knowledge to extract it.

So it finally boils down to these questions. Do we have a unified leadership? Can we establish the rule of law and spread the arm of justice. Can we change our cultural excesses such as tribalism, indolence, and distaste for farming?

Paragon   

Only when you make a daring move in the name of Somali patrioticism are you patriotic. The rest is a play with theoretical concepts I am affraid.

Who here is willing to put his/her on the line for Somali patrioticism? Who? Hmmm?

I thought so. When you are surely willing, let me know.

Haatu   

Jamaal bring it on. My dream is to go swimming in Liido beach and watch the Kowda Luulyo military parade at Fagaaraha Tarabuunka. And I'm sick and tired of waiting!!!! Bring it on I tel ya!

Buuxo   

^Yes.but it won't all be fun.The results of your actions ,you would most likely not live to see.Will you then Sacrifice your life,and do want's necessary?

For more info of what's required,PM J11.