Sign in to follow this  
Prometheus

Saudi Women Not to Watch World Cup

A leading Saudi scholar has issued a fatwa prohibiting Saudi women from watching the world cup. Saudi authorities have been mailing out a flier which summarizes this religious verdict. It reads:

Question: What is the islamic ruling of watching the games for women, if she wants to watch it for fun and entertainment?

Answer: " It is not permissible to watch the games because male players are usually semi-naked and show their thighs. Even some of their private parts may show through their tight clothing, which is very tempting to women. If women want to have fun and excitement, they can pray, read the Koran and all kinds of religious books."

Really?

Haatu   

If we look at it from a religious point of view, neither males no females should be watching it so I don't know why they are targeting women only.

Cawaale   

Originally posted by Haatu:

If we look at it from a religious point of view, neither males no females should be watching it so I don't know why they are targeting women only.

Really?

Haatu   

Well I'm not telling any1 to do anything. All I'm saying is I don't know why just the ladies are being picked on.

Most Saudi (and muslim) women obviously won't heed the passionate preachments of this senile sheikh; even if, as Haatu stipulates, the verdict accords with the teachings of religion.

chubacka   

This does indeed sound hypocritical, a religious argument could be made for all muslims (male or female) not watching football, e.g. awrah of players on show, wasting time, perhaps delaying salah etc n I am sure we all know practising ppl that don't watch football but it gets a bit silly when they say its fine for men but a no-no for women.

A bit like the no women driving policy, discriminative and not well thought out.

Originally posted by Haatu:

Well I'm not telling any1 to do anything. All I'm saying is I don't know why just the ladies are being picked on.

Do you think the disenfranchisment and marginalization of Saudi women is a mystery?

FatB   

no women driving policy - what is wrong with that policy anything to keep women of the roads :D

NinBrown   

why are people obsessed with Saudi women...like someone said 'who cares'.

If you want to watch football, watch it..otherwise move on. don't try and sensationalize a question that was about women into something else.

P.S calling sheikhs senile says a lot more about you than them.

too many fools about these days.

Maaddeey   

Cajiib!, Haddii la yiraahdo: 'Raggu naago qaa-qaawan iney daawadaan waa Xaaraam', ma waxaa la leeyahay: maxaa ragga loo discriminate-gareynaa?

Juxa   

hypothetically speaking men should not watch half naked men either. it may awaken any supressed laga-roonanimo tendencies!

i agree with others why do we care what saudis do inagaaba teena nahaysataaye :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised. How sinful was it watching the Argentinians? The chiseled features, the glossy bouncy hair, the tight toned physiques. Ilaahayow na cafi. redface.gif

I'm only watching unattractive teams from now on, I'A.