Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

The World Islands-Dubai

the_world_dubai.jpg

the_world.jpg

libp3987.jpg

The same company that brought us The Palm Islands, Al Nakheel Properties (Nakheel Corp), have done it again expanding their portfolio of man-made islands with this latest Dubai island project shaped like the continents of the world. The World will consist of between 250 to 300 smaller private artifical islands divided into four categories - private homes, estate homes, dream resorts, and community islands. Each island will range from 250,000 to 900,000 square feet in size, with 50 to 100 metres of water between each island. The development is to cover an area of 9 kilometers in length and 6 kilometers in width, surrounded by an oval shaped breakwater. The only means of transportation between the islands will be by marine transport.

Construction has begun on the $US 1.8 billion project which is set to be completed by the end of 2005. It will be located 4 kilometers off the shore of Jumeirah, close to the The Palm Jumeirah, between Burj Al Arab and Port Rashid of Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). Each island will be sold to selected private developers and are expected to have pricing beginning at Dhs. 25 million (US$ 6.85 million).

Source

P.S. Watch the Video! (Windows Media Player)

Video-Turn on Sound

----

This is so freakin' cool. Classic case of thinking out of the box! I wonder who would buy somalia?

The World: The Facts

*Located just off the coast of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, the World involves the creation of 300 man made islands built to represent the world map. The 300 islands will be offered for sale on a freehold basis to selected investors only.

*The World is located 4km off shore from a point halfway between Port Rashid and The Palm, Jumeirah.

*The development will measure approximately 9km in length and 7km in width. It will cover over 593 million square feet, including more than 200 kms of beach.

*The average distance between islands is 50-100 metres, with an average depth of water surrounding each island at 11 - 16 metres.

*All 300 islands will only be accessible by marine or air transport, with world-class marinas to berth boats, yachts and cruise liners. Nakheel will integrate a series of waterways, canals and lakes to enhance the overall design.

*The islands will be built in the shape of the world map and consist of two protective breakwaters on the outer perimeters to provide shelter from long and cross-shore waves. The outer breakwater will be a submerged reef and the inner breakwater will be above water

*Nakheel will hand over the islands to the investors once the land has been reclaimed. All infrastructure and construction will be up to the individual investors who will have the freedom to create their own personal vision on the islands for private or commercial use.

*All of the islands will range from 100,000 sq feet to 450,000 sq feet in size, with the average island measuring approximately 300,000 square feet with more than 350 million cubic metres of rock and sand.

*The islands range in price from AED 40 million (US$10.8m) to AED 135 million (US $36m)

Source

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Maybe I am overreacting here but

trying to shape and positions these 'MAN MADE' ISLANDS is kinda....well....trying to Poke Fun at GOD and say that MANKIND too can do it (if Allah created the world, well...man has found the write formula to parallel such a world. ) :eek: :eek: :eek:

The very concept of a 'MAN MADE' island is a defiance and a challenge to the AL-KHALIQ (The Creator)

Surely, this is a sign of JAHIL/IGNORANCE. :(

Fi Amanillah

juba   

^ yep u are definantly overreacting

i think it will be a large undertaking but worthwhile! just beautiful, Dubai has outdone itself!!!

Caveman   

An artifical islands consisting of continents of the world, costing $US 1.8 billion project. I ain’t surprised at all, and why would any one see this as a progress?

Only Carab dhulka Oil ka helay uunbaa waxaas samaynkaro, Through their distorted perceived progress, courting western appraisals and the title’s “Disneyland†of the Desert is consuming their resources, makes you wonder why the combined GDP of all 22 Arab Countries is less than that of Spain. Over 67 million adult Arabs who are illiterate, How tragic that many people in the Arab world can even read this article. These Arab business men have chosen to spend on $1.8 billion on a artifical islands rather than BOOKS. Instead of seeing progress, we should see this as the same light as the enormous palaces, planes, boats, and mansions in Europe and America owned by the likes of these people.

Pretty!

Kheyr, why are you always predicting doom?. Seems to me like you're against human progress. Its obvious that we cant parallel God in any way, shape or form, so to draw a comparison is in itself a sign of jahilnimo if you ask me.

This reminds me of how Copernicus was proclaimed a mad man when he said the earth was not the centre of the universe.

shyhem   

I wish i was the B-52 bomber pilot.I would have bombed the hell out of this useles islands.

I would have flattened the damn island so fast the Dubai sheikhs would have assumed they were hit by a Tsumani on its way to Banda Aceh.

Are this arabs really insane or they just don't get it!.........This are folks who don't even have the ability and the capability to make simple things like a car and yet they want us to believe they are advanced enough to build a las vegas look a like in the desert.

How on earth will the average dubai citizen relate to this islands?Maybe by bragging about the fact that their country doesn't have a hospital that comes anything close to Mayo clinic.By the way the University of Minnesota which provides research facilities for Mayo clinic has annual budget of $2billion.I guess this is where progressive minded pple spend their money and see results by counting the number of life saving procedures done by the institution.

bilan   

^^^ is this jelousy or what? you should be happy for them at least they are building not destroying, and where on earth did the idea of competing with Allah's creation come from, Allah gave us brain and imagination. what is wrong with using them. they are trying to attract tourists, and that is not haram. plus why some people have a problem with rich arab countries? no one has the right to complain how they spend their money unless you are citizen of that country. and how come we do not see people complaining how western countries spend their money, and how brunei spend its money. :confused: if somalia had the same wealth i bet we would have been doing exactly the same thing.

shyhem   

Bilan

is this jelousy or what? you should be happy for them at least they are building not destroying,

U just made Assumption #1....U talk about jelousy and may i ask, based on what.If i saw you driving a honda 89 with rims worth $10,000, and i criticised you,is that jelousy or is that common sense.How will u explain to me that a honda 89 is worth a 10,000 dollar rims.U got my drift ?

and where on earth did the idea of competing with Allah's creation come from,

Ooops I never said so.

Allah gave us brain and imagination. what is wrong with using them.

Nothing,hence the reason we think Dubai needs to know her priorities.Dubai is a f**king third world country and its time they invested in education and research.

By the way who do u think is using her brain,america or The whole Arabs combined.

they are trying to attract tourists, and that is not haram.

At what cost?Plus i never said anything about haram or halal unless you're talking about my last trip at the hilib halal.

plus why some people have a problem with rich arab countries? no one has the right to complain how they spend their money unless you are citizen of that country.

Again u just made assumption #2.I have no problem with rich pple, whether they are Arabs or not.However i got issues with what Dubai is trying to proof to me, while i know the reality of the situation.

and how come we do not see people complaining how western countries spend their money, and how brunei spend its money.

Just like some pple play the racecard when they are caught in the act,i think u are playing the Arabcard here.The topic is about Dubai and i don't know why u are pushing Brunei into the equation.

Finally,Just for the record show me how badly the west and Brunei spend their money and i will be the first to condemn it.

if somalia had the same wealth i bet we would have been doing exactly the same thing.

Assumption #3How do u know Somalia will do the same.

N.O.R.F   

We have lack of basic understand here regarding the term 'business'.

These island will be made to order, ie when u pay your 75% or whatever it is for your Island, then construction will start. Are you seriously thinking the developer will build all the islands before he even get any money back? Arabs are becoming shrewd business men, we should take notice rather than pour scorn on their attempts ate being world leaders/innovators. How do you know that the profit made will not go to good causes? No body is spending money here until there is a significant proportion/down payment by whoever wants to buy the islands. Its called business so stop hating.

The very concept of a 'MAN MADE' island is a defiance and a challenge to the AL-KHALIQ (The Creator)

I would call it a feat of engineering brilliance, thats exactly what it is 'man made'.

NGONGE   

Heh! They always said that, rich people, lived in a different world. Time to implant some golden spoons in a few wombs methinks. :D