Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Obama defends right to build mosque near 9/11 site

US President Barack Obama has staunchly defended controversial plans to build a mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

Opponents have protested against the construction of an Islamic cultural centre and mosque several hundred feet away from the site of the Twin Towers.

Mr Obama acknowledged "sensitivities" surround the 9/11 site, but said Muslims have the same right to practice their religion "as anyone else".

"Our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable," Mr Obama said.

Since a New York developer announced plans to build a 13-storey Islamic community centre and mosque about two blocks from the former World Trade Center site, prominent Republican politicians and a host of conservative pundits have attacked the project.

Some relatives of people killed in the terror attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001 are also opposed to the plan.

'Stab in the heart'

In a speech at a White House dinner celebrating Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, Mr Obama waded into the row, saying:

"We must all recognise and respect the sensitivities surrounding the development of lower Manhattan, Ground Zero is, indeed, hallowed ground. But let me be clear, as a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country.

Source

NASSIR   

"Our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable," Mr Obama said.

Well said.. Another great point I have seen him make was that there are those who measure their own faith by the rejection of others.

NGONGE   

That mosque is not that important when one looks at the Guantanmo trials and how one can go to jail for fourteen years for simply having the misfortune of being the cook of Osama Bin Laden. The whole Mosque idea is pointless from start to finish really.

^Mosque projects in Tennessee, Nebraska, California and other locations are meeting with resistance. I think making stand here is worthy the effort, otherwise if we keep taking it on the chin, many mosques will be opposed and this becomes the norm. I'm glad Bloomberg (he went out of his way to support), Obama, and other sensible came out to defend this project.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

That mosque is not that important when one looks at the Guantanmo trials and how one can go to jail for fourteen years for simply having the misfortune of being the cook of Osama Bin Laden. The whole Mosque idea is pointless from start to finish really.

I see you have found an angle :D

Obama didn't send a drone over Afghanistan afterall. He sent one over Pakistan instead :(

I'm truly sorry for I do not mean to reign on your parade@che but Obama did not defend anything or anyone at the iftar meal. However, he did put on performance for his guests by casting a light on a local issue that found traction in the national if not international level and not 24 hours have passed since he backtracked his earlier statement about the ground zero masjid.

With that said, Obama did not come out in support of the masjid by declaring his unequivocal support for the site construction near ground zero and you know this because few hours later(or next day) when he was asked whether he felt the investors were right or wrong in picking their project so close to the ground zero site, he unequivocally denied in saying whether he felt it was "good idea" or "bad idea" to build a masjid near ground zero that would bring more harm than good.

As far as the iftar meal remarks are concerned, no one cares or wants to hear whether private citizens have a right to build on private sites and no President should weight in on local issues as its out of his jurisdiction but he felt it was necessary inject himself into this debacle of a controversy by making remarks to the handful of guests that gathered around the table to break the fast so he misspoke, he had a 'biden moment', he knows it and probably regrets saying anything about the masjid construction and thats that ya CHE.

As far as this subject is concerned, its difficult to pass judgement on something you know very little about.(you know who you are @NORTH AND COMPANY) This whole mob mentality of , us Vs them is getting tedious.

Lastly, I feel that until the financial record of this investment site is made public, and the real perpetrators are outted, there is no debate to be had and the whole argument, especially from the supporting cast of the masjid will not amount to nothing more than frivolous distraction.

PS: If North and Co can answer the following question correctly, then they have the right to protest and the question is ladies and gents, which state in the United States of America has the most masjids, and yes, its multiple choice:

A: TEXAS

B: CALIFORNIA

C: MICHIGAN

D: None of the Above

^D, none of the above. Some credible surveys conducted recently found that the die-hard NEW YORK STATE has the most masjids, 220 or so masjids across the state of New York.

New Yorkers are so tolerant that tolerance is coming out of their noses like a runny nose on a cold winter day. They beat michigan for heaven's sake and they have more bloody arabs than most would care to know.

Jacpher   

Ngonge: I fail to see how you linked a local issue to Gitmo.

That was a tough call for Obama but the right choice to make. As Fox News agrees, he had to stand up for the constitutions and articulate the commitment for religious freedom in this country to either worship or not worship, or build worship center, as an individual right guaranteed by the law of the land.

North, is it especially relevant to folks like yourself who see the world as black and white. You believe that this battle over the masjid is more than locale, you believe its a battle thats waged against Muslims and Islam, don't deny it. (If you right and this is more than a masjid its a war on Islam and muslims will not take it on the "chin" , what would you say to those that say "our opposition to the ground zero masjid is a moral opposition, its not one of political at all", they even go as far as advocating for the masjid to be build anywhere but park 51 )

Just because newt gingrich is grapping the headlines, it doesn't make his assertions any more factual than say the folks who drew the flag for the ground zero masjid. The undertone of your statements(che or anyone else) says everything I need to know, which is why you should never judge a book by its cover is an appropriate phrase to use here.

BOB   

Askax Madax Dhagax...Don't you know that it's Ramadan? Ilaahay ka cabso ee dhibka dhaaf inteesan il kugu dhicin. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.