Khayr

Gangs of New York Film

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Anyone seen the Martin Scorsese film

starring 'pretty boy' DiCaprio?

Well, I saw it this past weekend

and Allahu Akbir, the movie was very VIVID. Filled

with imagery that still got me thinking today.

The openning battle scene was the WICKEDEST that I ever seen on screen.

If it doesn't scare or makes you eyes 'wider' then, you probably are a very Cold hearted person.

Anyways, has anyone else seen it in here?

Please share your thoughts.

I posting it on here b/c in the general forum, I never get decent responses.

lol@kheyr...i'm amazed to hear you say you enjoyed it. cause i did not.

first i watched this movie months ago and if i'm not mistaking its about the fight between the so called native new yorkers[native indians are the reall native new yorkers] and the new immigrants i beleave most of them were irish.

The openning battle scene was the WICKEDEST that I ever seen on screen.

If it doesn't scare or makes you eyes 'wider' then, you probably are a very Cold hearted person.

well i found the last battle with mortars and heavy machin guns raining down on the town was little bit scary atleast the sound of the mortar was scarry. it reminds me the nightmares i had with that sound when i was in somalia.

Khayr   

The things that I saw on that movie can be related by some of the people that were in Somalia during the war.

I agree.

I can relate to how Somlis behave today to this movie, soooo much!

Jahil/Ignorance is UNIVERSAL!

Khayr,

I thought I was the only one who thought the opening fight was the best fight I've seen thus far!!!

I loved that movie...especially when I saw a black man doing the irish riverdance!!! lol

Leonardo DiCaprio was not a "pretty boy" in that movie and I have a new found appreciation for his acting skills!!

:cool:

Yah definetly...at first before i saw the movie..i made a false judgment on the previews and how did it turn around...but come to my liking i did like it alot. Somthing bout tha Irish accent...it was adorable..i felt like sayin.. "where are my lukcy charms" lool

wun

Warning: If you haven't seen it..u might not want to read my review.

My thoughts:

It was a typical macho-flick.

I can understand why it was nominated for best picture, boy haven't they depicted the city so realistically or what. The movie was too violent for me, and the story dragged for what seemed like 6 hours. Mr.Daylewis made me nervous through out the whole movie, never knowing what body part he might next chop off.

Opening scene, wicked..though I was grossed out! Last battle...I was disappointed! They've managed to get in some historical facts to make it up..but overall I was expecting another equally good fight scene. I wasn't pleased!

One more thing, it reminded me of Far and Away.....with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.

Tamina,

But Mr.Daylewis showed us alot of tips on certain effective spots to aim for in the body to ensure instant death! never know when you'll need to use it ;)

Miriam1   

I saw it when it came out in the movies, a long time ago i think it was christmas..not sure though

I loved the acting, the set, the fight scenes and how freaking graphic, it was so fantastically real

BUT ! lol here comes the "but" the story was not so orignal...a kid seeks the revenge for his father's death, falls in love with the adpoted daughter of the villian, ends up killing the villian and leaves town..with the girl. Where is the twist, if there was a twist anything, unexpected that would have made the movie unforegtable.

Remember the titanic, the twist in that movie for me was leo dying..in a cliche movie he should have lived happily ever after with Rose.

But at the end of the day its not a bad movie to watch at all.

I give 3 1/2 stars

Khayr   

But Mr.Daylewis showed us alot of tips on certain effective spots to aim for in the body to ensure instant death! never know when you'll need to use it

BY OPINIONATED

OPINIONATED, you are one UNIQUE women.

YES, you scare me!!!

Inshallah, your hubby sleeps with 'ONE EYE OPEN'. :rolleyes:

Anyways,

the film was very graphic and this is what made it so 'real' to me.

You felt like you where in that time and that those characters where real.

The 'Butcher' definitely should have won something for his acting.

That guy usually plays some sappy guy in his other movies i.e. The last of the Mohicans

Changed   

i loved the opening fight .......that was the best...it felt so real the blood and stabbing .oooh.....and it was great movie .and leonardo looked hot in the movie i loved his ruggidy look and i expected more out of camerom diaz she was fine but that was not her best ! redface.gif ....

p.s> ama have to agree with tahmina the movie was long and it felt like i was sitting in my butt for hours ......my roomate and everyone around me fall a sleep on me :(

They showed the *REAL GANGS of NEW-YORK* on the History channel (History vs. Hollywood) a month ago. And with it, they interviewed some of the people on the movie. They said, this is not really what happened in NY, and the movie is way off mark in showing what really went in NY at the time.

I dont understand, why every movie about SOMETHING TRUE turns out to be the furthest thing from the truth?

Gangs of New York aka Irish Negroes vs "Native" New Yorkers.....This was lame attempt to tell story about the Irish experience. The movie sucked except for fight scenes and da intimate scenes... ;) ...lol....Just kidding.

Later