Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

Against the Saudization of Somaliland

this is a very interest writing about the changes these qasar full of xariim loving brothers done to our culture and religion!!

[One pertinent question that begs for an answer all the time is why is it that it is always those who fail in school or in life who turn to such religious extremism?]

a must read!! enjoy peace!!

http://www.addistribune.com/Archives/2003/11/21-11-03/Against.htm

That was a really great article Rudy about a worrying trend. The first anecdote about the midguided man in the beginning and the patience of the village really brought home to me how simple a solution tolerance is.

But it seemed that even he, succumbed to the western idea that any woman who covers up must have given up her individuality.

The two Somali girls, however, were fully shrouded with black from head to toe. One could barely see their eyes and they even wore black heavy socks on their feet.

While I'm not a big fan of the burqa, I do truly respect a woman's right to wear it. I just got the impression that the man gave no thought for individual choice here, as though such a thing couldn't possible be. He talks about the humiliation of women and how he says

It is this obsession with sex, this concept of viewing women only as an object of sex, created for man’s libido relief, that turned women’s body into a thing of shame.

While it's true, it seems that he seems just as interested in the female body. But instead of being perturbed by feelings of shame, he feels the Somali woman should be an advertising space.

Hence, we shall never have models and beauty queens to publicize the beauty of our women down the catwalks of Paris, New York and London.

Because models are free from the disturbing sexual fascination of men....right...give me a ******* break. I have nothing against models, freedom and all that, but don't tout them as the symbols of female liberation, because that seriously gets up my nose. If there ever was an example of objectification of women, the modelling business would be it many times over.

I know my post detracts from the intention of the article, and I do truly understand and even agree with his fears about the radicalisation of Somaliland. But his choice of examples just bugged me and it just reminds me of the intellectual fascists we get here in the West.

N.O.R.F   

I read this at the start of the Article

I can ignore, though grudgingly, when such clerics impose dress codes and other punctilious rituals on Somali men and women in the West because these are in the free world where they can express their opinion and seek legal protection against such abuse

then i didnt bother going any further

It's a revival of a long story, It was a struggle between Sufism and the newly more educated Salafi wadaado.

The battle ground was Somalia back in the eighties and nineties, Thanks to the wadaadada who defeated the ancient belief's, cultures and the qurafaad of the Sufis - They lost a long time ago, everywhere in Somalia you see sisters wearing Xijab, many young xafids and Amazingly old mothers reading the 40 hadith over the heart.

Good long exhausting article with no critical reasons to back the argument, wasted effort.

Somalia and the Somalis have come from a long way, Infact I could say they are one of the most educated nations even compared to Arabs interms of religion(Islam), Thanks for last 20 years effort.

No room for another qurafaad, the sitiuation in Somalia right now is only between a decent muslim Salafi wadaado and those of not very religious normal human beings but no time for the more corrupt, Shirk abiding, Awliyo beggers and graveyard attendees.

ADNAAN   

Salaam to all,

Goth's articles regarding Islam and woman to some extent are very controversial to say the least, and for that reason I tend to think of him as someone who is very alien to the cultures of S/land or Somalia for that matter.

Here is an excellent piece of writing in response to his “Sauditization†theory;

Top article. By Mumina-Shaqlan By Mumina-Shaqlan

Salaan...

The guy has some valid points. But even to see the good name of his spelled deliberately suggests the inclination of "Westernisation." It is Good, not Goth.

Anyway, as I wrote, he definitely has some good points. We can't simply abandon and disregard what our forefathers and mothers practiced for a millenia, who weren't, to the contrary, that ignorant and knew what Islaam required. But they also knew the value of some cultural aspects shouldn't be eradicated. We didn't discover Islaam today. Some people discovered a sect of it and want to nationalize that mabda. Walaal shouldn't be changed to foreign words of 'ukhtii' or 'akhii,' as some would perceive speaking in Carabi is part of Islaam, as it sometimes happens today to self-doubters. Those same people openly advocate we should get rid of af Soomaali and change to Carabi. I had met some, believe me.

I also believe there is no absolute difference between the garbasaaro our mothers wore and now the ubiquitous jilbaab some wadaado force girls as young as six that go to school. Max'ed Siyaad Barre righteously or not kept them at bay. Now they are out of the box, controlling most large companies, schools, universities, small businesses and even some of the media.

It pained me when I saw our youngsters learning the history of Emirates, not single Soomaali subject is addressed, in some schools at Xamar, based on too ridiculously some other Carab curriculum. Same with other English-influenced schools. They seemed to me as though competing who erases the last shred of our culture.

It also pains me today to see some famous schools named some of our national figures or national occasions changed to some obscure 'Abuu' and 'Bin' names. Same with those schools changed to "American" school or "International" this. Same with dukaamo and maqaayado and hoteelada. Unique restaurant-based names such as Maqaayada Lugabaxsi or Maqaayada Jilba Jabso would perhaps be today known as "Intertional House," if it had existed.

It also pains me to see myself writing in English.

Nur   

Salaams Nomads

The following is a rendition I posted on another thread, as a light hearted answer to Mrt. Bashir Goethe.

Bashir is not a bad guy, just religiously challenged who needs vision correction, so let ys show tolerance.

As promised, This thread provides a treatment clinic for Nomads who have lived in the west for too long, to the point of believing that western and pagan lifestyles to be closer to Somali culture than Islam is. A case in point is an article posted here on these pages by Tony Montana and written by Bashir Goethe ( Somali German Poet?)

Scenario:

Nurtel Opticians Examination Room.

Nur: Good morning Bashir

Goethe: Good Morning Nur

Nur: I understand that you are suffering from vision problems, that you can not reconcile the fact that Somalis are Muslims without having any need to pray, fast or go to Hajj, You also seem sympathetic to Sufis, you think that Sufi Music is great, specially if we mix a little bit of Jazz and bluies, from Lousiana. Look like black babtis church choir to me.

Bashir: That is right Nur, let me add to it that I am very furious about womens plight in Somaliland, that our women have to wear this medieval rags on their heads when they can wear the latest fashion from Paris and London, dresses designed by Christian Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, and diplayed by beautiful women like our great Somali Model iimaan ( you see Nur, she has iimaan without wearing anything at times). I also have problem accepting this brand of islam that I have never knbown that came from Saudi Arabia, because I feel our indiginous homegrown Islam to be far better than this cut throat vicious Islam that allows no fun at all, like dating girls, dancing and drinking foaming camel milk, I mean I am annoyed at these neo Muslms who have changed my religion that tolerated me even if I claim to be a God , as long as I do not preach it in public ( although that is also against freedom of expression), because, too much Camel Milk can make you feel like you are a God of sorts, you know caano ciir iyo qaad what they can do to a fun loving guy like me. Nur, I miss the good old days, before the Waxda guys came to our corner grocery shop near daanta Reer Qudhac of Kalabaydhka, and started their march to win over the hearts of our women, now, most beautiful women are all hijaabified, you cant't sit outside your balcony to enjoy looking at the body curves of our beatiful women, they wear Abaya from Saudi, it is too bad.

You see Nur, religion back then was great, we used to date girls and still had great faith in Allah, we never prayed , but we were ideal Muslims, because Islam, was ingrained in our blood, we had no need of showing it in public, so we only had fun in public, and once in a blue moon we prayed at funerals, because that was the only time we feared Allah.

Nur: OK Bashir Goethe, so do you think that Somali Islam was better than Wahaabi islam?

Bashir Goethe: You see NUR, " Depending on your view of history, since Somalis embraced Islam at the time of the Prophet or shortly after his death, it never clashed with the local culture in terms of clothing, eating and going about their ordinary life. Once it settled in the heart"

You see Bro, Arabs have threatened our culture, like the Dirac, and the three piece suits, so, women wear abaya, and some crazy wadaads wear saudi Thawb and Ghutrah and Cigaal. what a shame. why can't they wear Cerruti suits?

Nur:

So, you think that Somali culture is the epitome of Islam in its purest form, since our culture and Islam are the same thing?

Bashir Goethe: That is correct Bro, in our Somali culture, Islam is part of our culture, and the only measure of our faith is the QALB, the heart, so no action is needed to show our faith, just inside beleif, it is the wahhabis who added deeds to islam, Islam according to Somali culture needs no deeds. because like I say " The heart was clean and nothing else had mattered much " and in my opinion, mixing with girls is no orgy although we called it in Hargeisa "Geeresh" and fashion is good even if a girl has to wear a transparent dirac, showing her breast which she needs to show so her child can easily find ger breast, because these transparent Kaneebo Brand Dirac manufactured in Japan and imported in Jabouti to be sold in Hargeisa are 100 Islamic compliant, because Islam encourages beauty, am i correct bro?

To Be continued........

2003 e-Nuri Oprticians

Restoring Vision To The Mildly Miopic

Originally posted by ADNAAN:

Salaam to all,

Goth's articles regarding Islam and woman to some extent are very controversial to say the least, and for that reason I tend to think of him as someone who is very alien to the cultures of S/land or Somalia for that matter.

Here is an excellent piece of writing in response to his “Sauditization†theory;

By Mumina-Shaqlan

Thanks Adnaan,

That was a brilliant response to Mr.Gothe's article, I salute Mumina-Shaqalan for her enlighting and superb response.

For him maybe it was an attempt of out-reach or intensional fitting-in.

Hats off to the lady!

Leave our Holy prelates alone!!! :mad:

They are law onto themselves, for they are surely divinely guided. Above criticism, above earthly laws...the collective wisdom and knowledge of the entire world is the antechamber of what these prelates possess! Imagine what the world would be like without them :confused: I don't know but I wouldn't recommend taking chance.

Nur   

Socod Badane writes

"what the world would be like without them" ?

Answer:

No world I guess, the world as we know it would seize to exist, my understanding is that the world was created for the sole purpose of worship of Allah, its because of these people you redicule that you are safe from annihilation by Allah, they are busy seeking Allahs forgiveness everyday for everybody, while most are busy in disobedience to their creator, a wise person does not cut the cord that sustains his life.

Nur

Thank you Brother Nur,

Walaahi you uncovered the real intentions of the Marqaan-weyne , the loser, and the worst example of a fading out sufi.

Ilaahayoow waxaan marqaati ka ahay inaad naxariis badan tahay, oo naxariistaada ay ka qaalib noqotay carradaada. Kaas diinta ku aflagaadooday muxuu dhaamaa hadda kuwii nabiga (scw) dhibi jiray, sida Abuu Lahab?

Bashir Godoow, Naarta Jahanamo Salkeeda ku waar, ilaah aan ka baryee! Oo afka aad diinteena iyo dumarkeena ku caaysay, masiibo dagdag ah ilaah haka soo saaro!