Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Bragging on TV about sex lands Saudi in hot water

NGONGE   

JEDDAH:

Lewd remarks about sex by a Saudi man in Jeddah that broadcast last week on LBC’s “Red Line” has led to his arrest, Arab News learned on Wednesday.

Mazen Abdul Jawad appeared on the program last week in a red button-down shirt and open collar bragging in graphic detail about his sexual conquests.

In the segment, Abdul Jawad talks about having slept with a neighbor when he was only 14 and how this got him interested in sex. After discussing sex and foreplay in graphic detail and providing a recipe for an aphrodisiac, Abdul Jawad is seen getting into his vehicle at night on a Jeddah street.

“It all starts with turning my Bluetooth on while cruising around in my car,” he tells the camera.

About 100 people have filed a complaint against Abdul Jawad at the summary court in Jeddah. They allege Abdul Jawad has not only confessed to pre-marital sex, but also violated another Shariah principle by publicizing his sinful behavior.

Local reports Wednesday say Abdul Jawad is a 32-year-old employee of Saudi Airlines. A Saudi daily newspaper spoke with Abdul Jawad before he was arrested. He claims the show’s producers took his quotes out of context and that he planned to appoint an attorney to file a lawsuit against LBC.

Ahmad Qasim Al-Ghamdi, director of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice for Makkah, told Arab News that speaking so openly about vice is a punishable offense and that everyone involved with the broadcast is culpable.

“It is wrong to host people on television to speak publicly about vice and issues against our religion,” he said. “The program presents anomalies and deviancy in society that are unacceptable and immoral and should be punished according to Shariah.”

“Red Lines” is known for addressing controversial subjects. One episode addressed the subject of homosexuality. The program airs every Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. on LBC.

Malik Maktabi, the presenter of “Red Line” told Arab News that he could not comment specifically about the case, but he underscored that his program does not aim to tarnish Saudi Arabia.

“I host people from around the Arab world, not only Saudi Arabia. From all the twelve guests I have hosted, only a couple of programs have featured Saudis,” he said. “I present the cases as they are, and I have highlighted humanitarian achievements from Saudi Arabia, such as organ donation.”

The segment has received many hits on YouTube, and comments on online forums have been dominated by criticism of Abdul Jawad’s sex-drenched bragging. People here appear disturbed about the apparent vulgar lifestyle and behavior of one of their countrymen.

Calling Abdul Jawad a “blusterer who lacks morals,” Jeddah resident Faisal Al-Ahmed, 32, said he should receive some kind of punishment.

“He lives in a holy land next to Makkah and Madinah,” he said. “Appearing in public revealing such details shows how foolish and shallow he is.” Al-Ahmed also said LBC is responsible for airing the message.

Jeddah resident Bandar Al-Qassim, 27, called Abdul Jawad a “pervert” and the program “silly and ridiculous.”

“I feel sorry for his family,” he added. “He spoiled his reputation and family name.”

“Such people should not be on television,” said another local resident, Sara Al-Sultan. “I don’t think he did half of the stuff he claims. He is just a fool who wants to appear on TV.”

For Abdul Jawad to be punished on the basis of admitting to pre-marital sex he would have to confess in a court-approved manner.

However, speaking publicly about vice is also a punishable offense. Both offenses are subject to lashing and/or jail time at the discretion of the court.

NGONGE   

:D

Reports about grilling of sex bragger denied

Arab News

JEDDAH: The Prosecution and Investigation Commission (PIC) has not questioned Mazen Abdul Jawad, the Saudi man who recently bragged about his sex life on LBC’s “Red Line,” Arab News has learned. Sources at the PIC, on condition of anonymity, said all the press reports that spoke about the case being referred to the PIC by the Jeddah Summary Court were not accurate.

“According to rules, nobody will be investigated without an official complaint against him, which is carefully studied by the court and which has met all the requirements of litigation,” the source said. Once the case has fulfilled all the requirements, the defendant, his friends (which participated in the controversial segment) and LBC would be summoned.

Investigators are reportedly looking into the segment to ensure that the program’s producers didn’t dub Abdul Jawal’s speech.

Abdul Jawad had claimed that over two hours of footage was reduced to a minutes-long segment to portray him in the worst possible light. He is threatening to sue LBC.

Chairman of the Jeddah Summary Court Sheikh Abdullah Al-Othaimeen had reportedly said the accused could face capital punishment by discretion (known as a ta’azir ruling where judges may prescribe punishments commensurate with the crime at their descretion) but this sentence would only be made after the judges had collected all evidence proving that he had committed the crime of publicizing vice.

He said the complaints against the man made by many people in Jeddah would be made into a single class-action-like lawsuit.

http://www.arabnews. com/?page=1&section= 0&article=124919&d=2 8&m=7&y=2009

http://www.arabnews. com/?page=1&section= 0&article=124904&d=2 7&m=7&y=2009

NGONGE   

^^ This is a BIG story in Saudi Arabia. Fatwas are coming out left, right and centre. :D

There was even one Sheikh who demanded that Al Waleed Bin Talal (the nephew of the King) be brought to justice (because he owns the TV channel that broadcast this show). :D

There are rumors that this man might get 20 years in prison for his little 'fan'. Aaax!

N.O.R.F   

There was even one Sheikh who demanded that
Al Waleed Bin Talal
(the nephew of the King) be brought to justice (because he owns the TV channel that broadcast this show).

Horta kaa ha la xiro!

NGONGE   

^^ That's the problem. That one will not be touched and the silly man who was bragging on TV will get punished. It's enough to make my liberal blood boil. icon_razz.gif

Well naturally nothing ofcourse would have or will ever come of it, because the good lord knows its only us women who are the true sinners. smile.gif

Ps did anyone else notice the part about "providing a recipe for an aphrodisiac"?

LOL! Though I am disturbed I'm also intrigued about how exactly one goes about producing these things naturally.

NGONGE   

^^ icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi court on Wednesday convicted a man for publicly talking about sex after he bragged on a TV talk show about his exploits, sentencing him to five years in jail and 1,000 lashes, his lawyer said.

Talking about sex publicly is a taboo in ultraconservative Saudi Arabia.

Lawyer Sulaiman al-Jumeii said he plans to appeal the court's ruling and is confident the sentence against his client, which includes a ban on travel and talking to the media for five years after his release, will be revoked.

The lawyer said there is no specific law in the Saudi penal code "that defines punishment for talking or bragging." He said he assumes the judge based his decision on Islamic law, which forms the general basis of the justice system and stipulates that people should not talk about engaging in immoral behavior.

Al-Jumeii maintains that his client, Mazen Abdul-Jawad, was duped by the Lebanese LBC satellite channel which aired the talk show and was unaware in many cases he was being recorded.

"I hope you will not consider the case closed," the lawyer said. "I will continue pursuing the TV channel, even if no one stands by me, until it gets the punishment it deserves."

The program, which aired July 15 on LBC and was seen in Saudi Arabia, scandalized this conservative country where such frank talk is rarely heard in public. Some 200 people filed legal complaints against Abdul Jawad, who works for the national airline.

The program, "Bold Red Line," begins with Abdul-Jawad, dubbed a "sex braggart" and "Casanova" by the media, describing the first time he had sex at 14. He then leads viewers into his bedroom, dominated by red accessories, and then shows off blurred sex toys.

He is later joined by three male friends for a discussion on what turns them on.

Abdul-Jawad's lawyer maintains his client was referring to other people's sexual experiences and the toys were provided by the TV station.

The government moved swiftly in the wake of the case, shutting down LBC's two offices in the kingdom and arresting Abdul-Jawad.

The other three men on the show were also convicted of discussing sex publicly and sentenced to two years imprisonment and 300 lashes each, according to al-Jumeii.

The case itself was also tried before the wrong court, maintains the lawyer, who says it should have been heard by a specialized court at the Information Ministry qualified to issue decisions regarding editing, dubbing and other technical issues related to the case.

In his statement, al-Jumeii said the decision in the case was made "under pressure from public opinion" due to the media frenzy surrounding it.

He also said he will continue pursuing a lawsuit he has filed against LBC.

The kingdom, which is the birthplace of Islam, enforces strict segregation of the sexes. An unrelated couple, for example, can be detained for being alone in the same car or having a cup of coffee in public.

Saudis observe such segregation even at home, where they have separate living rooms for male and female guests.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/07/saudi-mazen-abduljawa-sen_n_312167.html?view=print

NGONGE   

^^ They needed to make an example of him. If they could ban him from leaving his house too, I bet they would have done it.