Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Great Somalis Ulamas: How Many do you Know?

Fabregas   

@SOS, I had google book link saying how the two al zaylicis were student and teacher. My computer crashed, so i'll try to find it.

Seems like to me the Somali Ulema of the past had a much more literary tradition of writing Arabic manuscripts, books and composing Arabic/ somali Poetry?

Also, don't we need to make a distinction between scholars and your average sheikh?

Originally posted by Abu_Diaby- Al Falastini:

books and composing Arabic/Poetry?

Also, don't we need to make a distinction between scholars and your average sheikh?

Good point.

Libax, many thanks awoowe.

Xiin, there was a new book/biography of Haji Ali MJ that was in process to be published in Sweden. It's written by his great grand son I believe. I saw the unfinished copy of the book which was like over 250pgs. I will look forth to find out if it's been published.

Do you have his Gabay "alif leyn" by any chance?

Thanks LibaaxST, guess you are direct descendant of the Sheikh too :D

If I could add 2more culamas, Sheikh Axmad Gole of Harar/O.geden and who later came to Mudug area. Also Sheikh Yusuf Cali Calow,the father of Wahabiya in Somalia as they say. Any one who can elaborate more about bio/background of these 2 Shuyuukh?

Chimera   

Originally posted by S.O.S:

quote:Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

There was also Sheekh Zaylici whose bio I dont have. Appriciate if Abu Salman soo helo sheekha taariikhdiisa.

Which Zaylici? Most of the great Somali scholars were nicknamed
Zaylici
or
Jabarti
after the special sections reserved for students from the Horn (these centuries Somalia was not defined as a region) at major learning centres of Islamic studies, such as that
Riwaaq al-Jabartiya
corner of al-Azhar at the time. There are even records of at least one Somali scholar who was sent to king Louis of France as part of a special diplomatic mission.

Anyway, make note of this list:

Sh. Cismaan Cali Zaylaci
(a great scholar and author of Xanafi school of jurisprudence)

Sh. Cabdullahi bin Yusuf bin Muxammad Zaylaci
(a great muxaddith)

Sh. Ali Jabarti
(spent his intellectual life under the Mamluk dynasty)

Sh. Muxiyiddin Sh. Cabdullahi al-Qaxtany
(1789-1869, born and raised in Baraawe, Chief Qadhi and Chief Minister during the Omani Sultanate in Zanzibar, authored many books in Arabic and Swahili)

Sh. Cali Suufi
(does not need any reference)
add to this:

- Abd Al-Rahman bin Ahmad al-Zayla'i(1820-1882) founder of Zayla'iyya

- Hassan Al-Jabarti(18th c.) astronomer,mathematician and scholar

- Abd al-Rahman al-Jabarti(19th c.)(Grand Historian of Mamluk Egypt)

- Abdallah ibn Mu'allim Yusuf al-Qutbi(19th c.)(wrote many books that were published)

- Sa'id Al Maqdishaw(14th century) Traveler(China,India) scholar(had audiences with the rulers of Makkah&Medina)

Homework for you Xiinfaniin: there was a great scholar who studied in Baghdad (and maybe in Makkah as well) who came back to his family in the
Bari
region of Somalia, but then was chased away and he eventually settled in Baraawe. He authored possibly more books than any other Somali known in history. I'm ashamed not to know his full name, but I think it starts with
Sh. Cali
. Provide us some more information if you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uways_al-Barawi

http://www.geocities.com/traditionalislam/shaykh_u ways_bin_muhammadalbaraawe.htm

edit: I misread your post, i saw Baghdad&Baraawe and instantly thought of the great Sh. Uways Al Baraawe :D

^^This is why i am attracted to SOL. Please post all the links and references you can find about somali scholars past and present.

Gheelle, no i dont have Sheekh's 'alifyeyn' poem. I blve some one posted here on SOL before. It was in the politics section if I remember it correctly.

Chimera   

Xiin you should pick up the ''Historical Dictionary of Somalia'' by Mohamed Haji Mukhtar. Though there are alot of inaccuracies when it comes to history and chronology in that book, the sections on Somali scholars however is spot on and extremely elaborate, with many names i can't remember.

Geelle, the new book is written by the legendary writer Aw Jaamac Cumar Ciise who is not related to Haji Ali. Maxamed Farax Idaajaa, the famous broadcaster, has also been collecting a great deal of information about the Sheikh and has been a good source of information for researchers looking for information I was told.

Haji Ali was a facinating individual and perhabs the father of today's ICU/Al-Shabaab purist ideology. But he was a peaceful scholar. I am expecting some information soon so I will pass it along.

PS: Geelle, I met plenty of the good Sheikh's decendants here in the west.

Buuxo   

The ones i have heard of are :Sheikh Jowhar

,Sheikh Azhari ,Sheikh Ibrahim Suuley.Anyone know more about them?