Sign in to follow this  
o0o

when I was a kid I used to believe..

o0o   

I thought we all share the silly cute things that we believed in when we were little.

I use to believe that if you swallowed watermelon seeds a watermelon would grow inside your stomach, so I was always carefully picking out every seed. and if I swallowed one by accident I would avoid drinking water. :(

I use to believe that shaytan lived in our bathroom and if you stood on them accidently since you couldn't see them they would come and do bad things to you. {acuudu billah!} :eek:

when I first came here {NZ}I was eleven, I was at home in the kitchen. no one else was home. I made some toast and it got stuck in the toaster. so I put a knife in it to get the toast out. I got a huge electrical shock. I thought I was dead, but I wasn't sure, so I walked around the house, not touching anythng {just in case} waiting for smeone to come home to tell me whether I was dead or alive. :D

any of you got any?

Pacifist   

And am not kidding when I was younger I always though I would marry a Prince that came from real royalty. And when asked what do you want to be when you grow older.... I would say I want to be a princess...... :D

No royalty... no prince and am not a princess... I need a tissue for my issues.. :( . Reality has been a little harsh....Am still waiting for the prince on the white stallion to come and whisk me away but ofcourse dreams are harmlesss I have been told.... ;)

Salma   

^^^ a prince & a white stallion, seems romantic and unachievable. You need more than a tissue dear, reality bites alot :D But I think its good to tell children pinky and lovely things, not like me, My childhood was about spirits,insects and luban :rolleyes:

Childhood Misconception NO.1:-

They (They referred to: My lovely and so-called kind & passionate family) told me that if it happened and I stood on Ants they will get their revenge one day which is the Doom Day; they'll ask the Lord for punishment. They will become large and stand on me :mad:

Will you believe people till now I avoid ants and I do the best I can to avoid standing on ONE of them not all of them. I keep my EYES WIDE OPENED to avoid them :D

But I love the ANTS (So lovely, small and hardworking animals, we shouldn't put them under the insects category, they are much higher & cleaner than the insects :D . Anyway I never killed an insect and it will never happen for sure.

Childhood Misconception NO.2:-

"If you swallow a chewing Gum while chewing it, a large Gum (luban)tree will grow up inside your stomach" how silly, they never told me the same when I swallowed a Coin when I was 6 years. A tree of coins, ya salaaam LOL

Childhood Misconception NO.3:-

If you scared/terrified someone, his soul will go inside of you and haunt you forever. Inorder to reverse that and not let him go inside of you; you gotta spit on the floor three times LOOL.

I used to see that it very funny. To take a group of children and scare the adults, and when they get scared I think nothing is better than spitting on the carpet just to annoy my parents/adults.

I had to DO IT, otherwise my spirit will be taken by the person I'd scared him :D

And much more but very funny and Silly :D

Muhammad   

salaams

lols very funny topic. :D

I used to believe that if a donkey ate your hair, you would go crazy. so I whenever I get haircut I would collect every piece and hide them under a rock or somewhere secret. I think it was a clever move by my parents to get me clean up.

I believed that the stars would come down to earth at day eat and grase, then go back up at night. lol

I believed if you walk far, you would come to the end of the world, and there would be a cliff if you fell you will keep falling for ever. I think this is also cause my parents didn't wanted me to wander in to the jungle.

I believed that if you press and tie very hard a wire, you could stop electricity. when I saw a radio, I would squeeze the wire very hard, trying to stop the electricity. I rememver someone asking me what I was doing once, I said nothing.

hmm...thats all I can think of now. but I'm sure I'll remember more.

Amani

Intel   

Kia ora Kiwi :D:D

(1) once i got a small pistal BB gun for eid so me and my brother and a friend

wondered of to the hills near our home for hunting we star shooting mulac/muluc/siilanyo (small lizard)

when we got home we told hooyo (proudly) how much mulac we killed, where she just ruin our day by telling us how they will come in Aakhiro for revenge. after arguing with her for about 20 min how they're not big enough to carry BB gun

we went our room and took off me shirt and told my brother to shoot me on the back 17 times (Number of mulacs we killed) i think it was about the 3rd shot when i start crying, my sister heard us came running into the room, last time i saw my gun :(

(2) when i was around 7 one day i remember thinking that i will never find a wife when i grow up coz i was too ugly. :D

looked at the mirror & i almost burst into tears, then reminded myself Mr Dhicisoow (the bloke next door) and thought well he is married you ain't got nothing to worry'bout and smiled :D

nuune   

-we used to say-

if you point your finger to an airplane that is flying up, if u do that, the airplane could come down and explode, so we used to hold our fingers into our pockets when we see a plane that is flying high or low.

Elysian   

Aah, childhood memories… nice topic, time for some nostalgia.

I always look back at my childhood through thick embellishing glasses… a very selective memory. But I do remember one thing that I was really afraid of, when I was about seven. I had one evening overheard someone talk about the world war I and II. After that I then came to the conclusion that the first war was between two countries, the second between two continents, and soon, the inevitable world war three would start, and in that war every nation on the globe would HAVE to join.

For a long time my mental capacity was focused on how to save my family and myself. I imagined us back in Africa, somewhere deserted, nobody would care to look, we would dig really deep into the earth and only come up during the night for food.

Another thing that used to concern me around this age was that I thought we were inside the earth, not on top of it (hadn’t heard of Newton’s gravity law yet). So I thought that each time a rocket was send to outer space it made a hole on earth. And I figured if they kept on doing that it would destroy the earth shell, and we would float out into space.

Weird thoughts for a little girl, huh… I won’t go into all the mean stuff I used think of and actually do sometimes…

One time my mum had a miscarriage and when I was little I blamed her for losing the baby, because I thought that she stood up and the baby fell out of her belly and crushed his head. I used to ask why the hell she didn't just stay in bed, so the baby wouldn't have fallen out.

I know, how cruel kids can be. :(

Miriam1   

Interesting stuff

1- You shouldn't sing in the washroom, the shayatin might haunt you..this one was specially scary, since it was our Quran teacher who told us.

2- Flip over any upside down shoe, cause your showing the dirt on your sole, to Allah (SWT)

3-NEVER step on rice, they complain on you on the day of judgement

4- If you happen to try kill a lizard, and cut of its tail, by mistake, bad luck will follow you.

End!

When I lost my baby front teeth, it took me awhile to grow them back and my eedo used to tease me and called me Af-qalaal foto qaaxo…this used to really bother me so bad walaahi. She also told me to kiss a Donkey hadii aan rabo inay ilko iisoo baxaan. I went to my Hooyo and Ayeeyo to complain about my eedo making fun of my missing teeth and further insulting me telling me to kiss a DONKEY. They told me don’t even get close a donkey let alone kissing one becoz if I do, I will get 2 BIG FRONT TEETH ( this made me to contemplate for awhile but could not endure my eedo teasing me and calling me anmes) since Donkeys have big teeth. Now, every time I look at the mirror and see my big front teeth I regret for not listening to their advice…caku ciil badanaa :mad:

o0o   

Pacifist - a princess how very cute.. hang in there, who knows that prince of yours might decide to show up after all. dreams are harmless dear. lol

Classique - I had a very similiar misconception of spiders. gawd I still hate spiders.

I used to believe that if a donkey ate your hair, you would go crazy. so I whenever I get haircut I would collect every piece and hide them under a rock or somewhere secret. I think it was a clever move by my parents to get me clean up.

clever move indeed lol

rokko - kia ora mate. those poor mulacs. icon_razz.gif {siilanyo :confused: }

Mr Dhicisoow :D

nuune - yuour telling me you never ever once tried to point your finger at an airplane just to see if it would crash and explode? :D

Xu - I'm sorry hun. your were only a kid. ::hugs::

Hayam - I think we might of had the same Quran teacher. :D also the rice bit our parents use to tell us that as well. lol

aww thanks ya'll for sharing! reminds me of what it was like to be a child fascinated and horrifed by the world in uqual parts. :mad:

becareful what you tell your kids. :D

juba   

Originally posted by Hayam:

Interesting stuff

1- You shouldn't sing in the washroom, the shayatin might haunt you..this one was specially scary, since it was our Quran teacher who told us.

2- Flip over any upside down shoe, cause your showing the dirt on your sole, to Allah (SWT)

End!

is this a somali thing or what? cause my momzy told me the same thing! :D

Intel   

Originally posted by Kiwich:

{siilanyo :confused: }

yeah kiwi its a small muluc that lives on the hills/mountains.. i think... innit nuune he'd know :D

Salma   

What about if u lost a tooth...

You should go outside the house or to the balcony/window and throw the fallen tooth towards the direction of the place where you born, if you didnt do that you won't get a new tooth again.

LOOL imagine taking a small crying child who lost her/his tooth with blood coming out from his mouth while he/she is carrying the fallen tooth in his hands to learn how to throw the tooth.

1 2 3 Throw...... Mabruuk you'll get a new tooth very soon inshallah.

LOOL funny wallahi much better than telling us about things like Santa Clause & full socks of presents and nice things :D

Nephissa   

You all got funny stuff lol.

1) Never let anybody borrow DUN(thread) at night

2) Never cut your nails inside the house, and when you do outside, don't leave them there, cuz if DAMEER (donkey) eats them, you'll go crazy.

3) Don't let your nails grow, cuz JINI (acudubilah minal shaydhani rajim) sleeps under them.

4) Don't drink in the Dark cuz JINI is drinking with you.