Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Have you ever seen a Peruvian on TV?

NGONGE   

How about a Bolivian? Who's the most famous Chadian you ever heard of? Do you know of any Sri Lankan celebrities? Ever spot an Afghani on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Now I am not sure if this has to do with me being a Somali and therefore being able to spot my fellow citizens but, lately, Somalis seem to be everywhere. If I am into frivolous and trivial stuff, there is bound to be a Somali forehead grinning foolishly out of my TV screen on one of those frivolous and trivial shows. If I am into hard hitting world politics, I will invariably see one of ours failing to assassinate a Danish artist or suspected of attempting to blow up some Australian cigarette kiosk (or was it an airport? I can't remember now). Say I'm into fashion, Waris and Iman will never disappoint. Say I'm into sport, Mo and the kid from Manchester City will still appear on my TV as they run like a pair of thirsty camels!

If you try to ignore it all and pick up a book instead, you'll still come across Mr Farah or Raage Omer's autobiography! These bloody Somalis are everywhere and every new day brings a new face (yesterday brought the two killers in Minnesota). Even my local Mayor is Somali!

Would I have noticed any of them had I not been Somali myself? Probably. Does that mean they are not everywhere, as I claim? Probably not.

So, what is it that makes Somalis stand out in such a way? Is it a coincidence? Is it the fact that our civil wars scattered us all over the world and, therefore, gave us the opportunity to live in various countries? Surely other people had civil wars and followed the same path as us? Why do we not see them on TV or newspapers?

Of course, some as Raage, the sports guys and Mr N. Farah (not to mention the models) have worked hard to get this fame. But, equally, there must be some Congolese trying to break into the big time in such a way and failing! Why the Somalis?

Is it to do with our lack of respect for anything? Is it our lack of self-awareness and (inner) belief that we are better than everyone else (and you have to admit that this ailment is chronic with many Somalis)? Does this allow us to block out the obstacles and only see the goal? Is it that the same problem that is causing us to fail in Somalia is the one allowing many of us to succeed under controlled and ordered conditions? Some of you may question my use of the word success there and argue that a terrorist such as the guy who tried to kill the Danish artist cannot be regarded as successful or that those Minnesota boys are not a success. I will beg to differ and say that from the many potential terrorists who wanted to kill that Danish guy, this Somali one made it (so it is a sort of success in his chosen field – much as I disagree with the area of expertise itself).

There are many Somalis in China and South East Asia these days. Most of them go there for business but I would not discount the chance that, soon, we are going to see their faces in the news. In what context, god only knows. But that they will be in the right place at the right time (or wrong place, wrong time) is not open to question. We always manage to find a way to stick our heads in somewhere.

I fully realise that I maybe talking utter twaddle here. Nonetheless, I invite you all to indulge me a little and join in this rant-come-query.

What started all of this? THIS:

Reza-Pankhurst_672616a.jpg

She has nothing to do with the story, other than being the man's wife. But she's still in the photo. :D

Ibtisam   

:D:D Loool Maxad isu keentey?

Did you see me on C4 the other day Ngonge? :Dicon_razz.gif (I am serious)

I kind of agree with you, but haada TV is every where. Also there are more Somalis outside of the country and in the west so we are more likely to be more visible. Hence why we get a lot of stick. We should have more successful people really to compensate for our lost ones.

NGONGE   

^^ You were on TV too? And there I was moaning about my local mayor being Somali. Now it's people I KNOW appearing on TV. Damn! :D

Blessed   

Maybe it's that shiny forehead of ours. I don't I'd notice none Somalis that much.

Ibts, what were you doing on C4?

We've a lil celeb in my family, on ICKids every Sat. My claim to fame. :D

Juxa   

way duushay, xaliimo duushay!

CL i propose no more marriages to farah, look at this lady, not only is he Phd holder, he is also dirac-dirac dhalay (for somali challenged folks, it means he is geesi/brave) being member of banned groups, convict etc

Awww @ image.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Some of you may question my use of the word success there and argue that a terrorist such as the guy who tried to kill the Danish artist cannot be regarded as successful or that those Minnesota boys are not a success. I will beg to differ and say that from the many potential terrorists who wanted to kill that Danish guy, this Somali one made it (so it is a sort of success in his chosen field – much as I disagree with the area of expertise itself).

Ha ha ha. Your logic is outstanding, but he didn't quite make it. I think the police shot him twice before he got over the fence.

But this is a very timely thread. I was watching a newsclip the other day on Al Jazeera from somewhere in the middle East and guess who was walking up slowly behind the reporter? A couple of rotund Somali ladies.

I also saw another Somali on a documentary on Germany's largest international airport - Frankfurt. He was scanning air parcels for drugs and other suspicious items.

Perhaps we should play a game of 'Spot the Somali' from now on.

Ibtisam   

^LOOOL :D can you imagin! LOOL

Loool Blessed I saw her and the little on ISlam channel too.

Ngonge next week I am going to be on BBC and the week after on Asian Network.

Blessed they were repeating a documentary in did in 2005.

Ngonge I only do Political shows, you know that, maxa ii kenye kid TV

Juxa   

for nominal fee, aniga kusiin a copy

i thought she did well, looked very nice too but this was actually her second TV-appearance