Sign in to follow this  
Nazra

Tampon Users

Dear, you lose more than that. You lose also part of the elasticity and that matters more. The thing to be grateful about is that a few days the muscles find a new equilibrium. You also lose an inner part of you >Haya for once your sharing an intimate experience.... Something you cant get with just losing the hymen. So, I think you will agree with me Virginity is not = hymen.

Nazra   

"Will riding horses or bikes stretch the hymen? What about tampons or pelvic exams?

Some people fear that doing things that might cause trauma to the hymen during childhood (bike-riding, gymnastics, etc.) should be avoided; the rationale is that if the hymen tears before intercourse, the girl/woman is no longer a virgin. That is why tampons are often discouraged among Muslim girls and many Muslim women will not have a pelvic exam until after they are married.

Sometimes these prohibitions are taken to the absurd: I advised a patient once to exclusively use tampons because she was allergic to sanitary napkins. The problem was she was visiting from Saudi Arabia where she said tampons are not available and she wasn't sure she would be allowed to bring any into the country from the US.

Riding a bike and doing gymnastics will not tear the hymen, which is internal and requires direct trauma and vaginal penetration in order to be stretched. Using tampons may be the best choice for women or girls who suffer from heavy bleeding during their periods.

Furthermore, avoiding pelvic exams until after marriage can endanger a woman's life if she has a gynecologic problem that goes undetected over time. For those women who cannot overcome their worries about the hymen, gynecologists can use various techniques that avoid tearing or stretching the membrane.

Is an intact hymen required by Islam as evidence of virginity?

The notion of "hymen as proof of virginity" has no basis in Islam. There are no texts (Qur’an or Hadith) that address this specific question. Clearly, however, the Islamic legal tradition mandates chastity before and after marriage for both men and women. What evidence does a Muslim have to give? His or her word. If one is challenged by others, then the accusers must bring four eyewitnesses or suffer the punishment of slander. So why should a woman have to offer physical proof of her virginity? Why isn't her word good enough? In a religion that argues for egalitarianism, it doesn't make sense that a woman has to prove she's a virgin but a man does not.

My opinion has always been that a woman is no longer a virgin when she has sexual intercourse with a man, not when she inserts a tampon into her vagina or when a doctor inserts a speculum to view her cervix. Virginity and chastity are about preserving one's sexual relationship in a manner that is sanctified by God.

If using a tampon were a form of "intercourse," would the punishment for adultery or fornication naturally follow? Of course not, and you would think I'm crazy for even asking such a ridiculous question. But we need to think carefully about our habits, especially those that are rooted in cultural attitudes that don't necessarily live up to the true essence of our faith."

By Laila Al-Marayati

Medically Speaking: Hymens, Tampons, and Virginity

Nazra   

are we all on the same time? i meant to post this in the second page. Oh well

This topic went from tampons to just hymen. Jeez, some re-direction was needed. I hope you find the above answers useful.

I detect high levels of anxiety, I hope your hymens are intact gurls, if they not... don't worry lolz, just let it be.

I hoped that hepled.

Nazra, glad you came around. We all singing to the same tune, the article doesnt shed anything new.

*Tampon doesnt not equal losing the hymen nor mean losing the virginity and virginity doesnt equal to hymen presence or tampon absence mean being a virgin .Three interrelating entities, reminds me of mathematics.sigh*

Anxiety? One reason for getting into the medical field was to educate my sisters and let go of the myth and stigmatization.

Nazra   

Warrior, it some ppl who started accusing me and putting words into my mouth.

I really don't know ur definition of a virgin. But i know i am on the right track here. Hymen can also be applied as a "virginity". most ppl don't what the hymen is or where it is.

Virgin= someone who has not had sexual intercourse

Virgin-Tampon= someone who lost their hymen to a tampon :D

was that confusing.

All i said is that, tampons break ur hymen(they do) aka virginity, so why do some somali gurls bother?

But i did not say that she will be classified as a non-virgin.

Frankly, no one has answered my question, yet they willing to give me some non-sense for reply which is out of the topic and a waste of time to read :rolleyes: .

Nasra, Im sorry if I offended you that wasnt my intent. And if we did go offtopic, its because we meet alot of people habouring these unrealistic feelings and force it down womens throats. As if, a woman married without an intact hymen isnt a virgin a reason for divorce or abuse in the society. I know as we all know Allah has created us different anatomically if a man says he is chaste you take his word for it. So why dont you take the sisters? Excuses and examinations are done to tarnish her reputation with help of the degrading culture (white sheets)practise. It is this which we are against. Thats the big picture I was talking about and Sister Rahima tried discussed.

And to start with the notion of having an intact hymen equals virginity is wrong sister. Had to put that straight and tried to explain it to. :(

Secondly, using a tampon doesnt necessarily mean youve lost the hymen either. I explained that too.

And as always the Islamic ruling holds strong, its chastisy we aim for and not intact hymens.

Why they bother? Its their personal choice. They aint doing anything wrong.

I hope in future you will correct others on this matter.

Originally posted by Nazra:

Virgin-Tampon= someone who lost their hymen to a tampon
:D
was that confusing.

You are stubborn :D

Another capital NO or a slight maybe isnt a must as told you hymens come in different shapes n size.

Following you way of thinking > *Look at the brightside atleast she knows she lost it to a tampon, than gymnastics or sports. As her health comes first.*

I pray for all the ladies out there who still hold tight to these beleifs, wont be surprised they still maybe FGM supporters coz there aint a difference( as a womans life is controlled by an anatomical variation).

I beleive in being chaste( a womans life is controlled by her beleif, struggle to control desires,fear of Allah and self determination).

Pucca   

so why do some somali gurls bother?

a better question would be "why do women bother with it at all?" i'm 100% sure it cant be as comfortable as a pad...and it certainly must take more time to ... you know...fit it. now why bother with all that when you can be out the door in half the time? all those ads bout being able to jump and jog without having to feel like you're wearing 'diapers' are just ridiculous... :rolleyes: jump? um yea..sure; and risk having something wind up going up the wrong canal? *shakes head*

i dont think so.

like nazra said...lets have that question answered.

My dearest Pucca, personal choice same reason a female wants to put on trousers than a skirt.

Some use it coz they get allergies, rashes and others coz they bleed heavily.

Im baffled to, but respect a persons choice. As long she knows how to use it, take the precautions and keeps hygienic. No problemo. Let her live her life.

Being in your menses is already a stressful situation emotionally, physically (for those who have painful ones) and spiritually. Now we are getting involved in what people put on under their clothings?? If thats her means of having personal satisfaction, let her have it.

Pucca   

right...but ofcourse; personal choice i can understand and respect. because of heavey bleeding? :confused: i heard it obsorbs less than a regular pad.

*really pucca..you're just bored,you couldn't care less bout tampons.. shut up already.* okay i'm out of this topic ...

peace and god bless...

Rahima   

No, it’s not a shock to me. Is it a shock to you that some ppl are born without arms and legs? Are they still a human being? And how does an ignorant individual determine that?

It was a typo (that was obvious), it was meant to be ‘born without a hymen’ and if it moves out of the way, an ignorant individual (i.e. not medically trained) can never know as to whether or not a female is a virgin.

There are some older women who can tell the difference. These women can have experience in circumcision, have seen a lot or are midwives.

Men could tell the difference of what’s damaged and what’s not. But I wonder if they can tell a tampon user from a non-tampon user given the fact that both have the hymen intact.

Circumcision you say? :rolleyes: Ever heard of re-stitching? Happens all the time, therefore this so-called theory on determining a girls virginity because the work of the gruesome midwife is intact is misleading at the very least.

When I said "experience" I wasn’t even thinking about faraax’s. But that’s all that came to your mind.

Rahima, I don’t know what you contributed to this topic other than faraax this and faraax that which is unnecessary .

I don’t know, but reasoning that Somali girls should never use tampons because god-forbid when she gets married her husband might question her virginity was a very good clue on your logic ;) .

And first time husbands can expect the wife to bleed, as for Somali men and other cultures who can’t wait to hang the white sheet the next day. Of course not every women bleeds due to the misfortunes in life that she might come across. But my question is why would any young women; want to use a tampon given the fact that she was born with her hymen.

Wonderful. Why don’t we force you to marry your nomad cousin back home and get you to ride camels whilst we are at it.

And since when did loosing ones hymen become a misfortune?

Frankly, no one has answered my question, yet they willing to give me some non-sense for reply which is out of the topic and a waste of time to read

I think that the answer has been given to you many many many times woman. You though are not getting it ;) .

tampons break ur hymen(they do) aka virginity, so why do some somali gurls bother?

NO, loosing your virginity is not also known as breaking your hymen. This is where you have it all wrong. Because of this wrong, all else spirals down wrong.

Tampons may break your hymen, but so what it doesn’t mean that one looses their virginity. Tampons as already stated are xalaal- it is not for you to question a sisters virginity based on something as silly as this.

That’s where experienced SOL faraax’s come handy. Last time I think I vaguely remember you about a circumcision debate, you were saying non-sense stuff but at the end it turn out that you won’t circumcise and were defensive.

Very mature (someone give the girl a clap please). I don’t know about you, but I find the concept of discussing such matters about myself disturbing and yes to your shock and dismay I will reiterate proudly once more- FGM is disgusting, xaraam and should be eradicated.

Likewise views such as worrying yourself that your husband might think you are not a virgin because you used tampons is also just as disgusting. Worry yourself if you so wish, but some of us (irrespective of what we use) are sure of ourselves and no man would dare even bring up the question.

Finally get educated honey. Circumcision Somali style is not something to be proud of; neither is hanging a Japanese flag.

There is no problem using tampon, everyone chosse what they fell is confortable. and when it comes to husbands gurl they dont know which is wich i bet they will want u to wear what u fell is right for you, so dont make this topic a big deal ever1 has there own chose right? i'll say try it first and then come and say what u think about it.