Sign in to follow this  
ilhan00

Increase of depression and schizophrenia in the Somali Community

ilhan00   

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site I just wanted to bring up a topic that is close to home for me. Depression and schizophrenia has affected some of my family members and friends. I know this is a sensitive topic I do hope people will open up and share how they cope with this.

•What issues do you face with amily members or friends who suffer from either of the two?

•Do you get any support from any organisation?

•How do you cope?

•Do you think the medication they are put under is a solution or is it just making it worse?

•Some people take the person back home to Somalia do you think that is a good idea don’t you think they would be better off here where they can get better medication?

•How about those back home do you think it is right for them to be tied up?

•Do you agree that they are possessed by the devil?

•Since we are Muslim what is you thought about them seeing a psychologist

I have my own opinions on this but would like to have an idea of how other people deal with this issues.

Cheers

nuune   

Originally posted by ilhan00:

Hi Everyone,

•What issues do you face with amily members or friends who suffer from either of the two?
They look differen, walk different & talk different, and I take them to the mosque if I see them in that situation

No organisation can heal depression, tell the person to pray to Allah, and read as much Quran as possible

•How do you cope?
Tell them to read the Quraan and pray Salaat

•Do you think the medication they are put under is a solution or is it just making it worse?
No medication, only medication is for the person to pray Salaat and read Quraan, it will make their mind and body relax, and forget world affairs, they will remember that Allah is there for them, all the time

•Some people take the person back home to Somalia do you think that is a good idea don’t you think they would be better off here where they can get better medication?
No that is not good idea, but it is good idea if where the person lives right now has no Muslim connections, then back home will be better so the person can forget all the troubles and stress in the West

No it is not right, but Jinn exist and Quraan is the solution

Devil is the enemy of every person, so you can fight and wrestle the devil, read the Quran

•Since we are Muslim what is you thought about them seeing a psychologist
Seeing any doctor won't harm, but they won't be able to heal stress and depression, multi-billion are spent each month to cure depression and find it for medication, so far, nothing is found, the only solution lies to fear Allah and become better Muslim, read the Quraan

Blessed   

Salaams Ilhan.

This is a very sensitive topic and close to home for me. I would be interested in your opinions, sis. Thanks for bringing it to light, I feel there's too much ignorance of mental health issues in our community..

What issues do you face with amily members or friends who suffer from either of the two?

To many. Someone beloved to me has been suffering from mental health illness for the best part of the last decate. I could write a book about the issues but it depresses to think about them so I tend to block it out....

Do you get any support from any organisation?

Hospital, mostly. Sometimes a charity which works with people with MH. They provide key worker and sheltered housing.

Ho do you cope?

With Sabr! It's the hardest sickness you can deal with as a family, you actually lose that person even if they are with you physically.

Do you think the medication they are put under is a solution or is it just making it worse?

A bit of both, really. All medications have side efects but in the cases of schitzophrenia and hallucinations, medication can be very useful. Though, even here the side effects can be dramatic at times and a bit scary to be honest.

Some people take the person back home to Somalia do you think that is a good idea don’t you think they would be better off here where they can get better medication?

It's definitly a bad idea. Have you seen the state of those places in Somalia. I wouldn't send a dog there. :( Hawo gedis might be useful but not to a mental hospital in Somalia-- that will push anyone off the edge.

How about those back home do you think it is right for them to be tied up?

No, No. I truly hope facilities are improved and people who work in them are properly trained. A person should be confined if their condition can cause them to harm themselves and others but this needs to be done in a delicate, human manner.

Do you agree that they are possessed by the devil?

Jin possessions do exists and I think families should pursue this approach if the condition is not clearly diagnosed. But sometimes the person is suffering from a medical condition and requires medical care. Our people have mad love for jinns-- everything has to be about them baryahan.

Since we are Muslim what is you thought about them seeing a psychologist

Who says Muslims shouldn't go to a psychologist? I'm not sure how effective they are in sever cases - but sometimes a little guidance and coaching can do a world of good. There are in fact a few good Muslim coaches and psychologists.

Please share your thoughts... smile.gif

Mental Health ailments are rife in the Somali community. Its really sad how it is looked at as being taboo. I really wish there were more MH awareness campaigns within the community.

Buuxo   

Ilhan,Considering what many Somalis have gone through,Im surprised that majority are not Mentally ill. Truely resilient people baanahay.

Having said that ,Mental health is an area that is not very well understood and dealt with ,even in Developed countries.And it is very difficult for sufferers and their family to understand and to come to terms with an illness that is not as clear cut like heart disease or kidney disease or a broken leg, the former is in the 'mind' of the sufferer.

What issues do you face with family members or friends who suffer from either of the two?

Lack of understanding of the illness by family and wider community and

The sense of shame / blame,the family & individual feels and associate with the illness.

•How do you cope?

I think medications are a great.If you could imagine feeling so low or having constant worry about thoughts or voices telling you to do horrid things ,it's safe to say that would be the worest feelings or pain one can experience and would stop them from doing basic things in life like eating/drinking/sleeping etc and which in turn leads to negative consequences.

What benefit do they get from going home? If they are ready or stabilized and there is the capabilities to manage their health then sure.

But it's foolish to think that returing them to Somalia is the Answer to everything ( from rebellious children to treating chronic disease/ mental health problems).

No, but you have to ask yourself .Why they are being tied up.It's because of the absolute lack of services for the Mentally Ill.If they don't restraint them and then they are more than likely to harm themselves or others.So they make do! Sad but true.

Allahu Aclam.Perhaps we need to rule it out.Especially in the situation of Schizophrenic like disorders

•Since we are Muslim what is you thought about them seeing a psychologist?

I don't see a problem.