Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Dahabshiil introduces 1st step to ATM machines

More pix Dahabshiil Debit Card

DSC09609.JPG

[Customers who have do business with Dababshiil will get one of these cards]

DSC09631.JPG

[A number of key selected outlets across the city will recieve one of these devices which connects to a telephone line]

Customers can then draw their money from any of the participating outlets across the city.

BBC: Somalis get first-ever debit card

_46628010_dahabshiilceowithecashdebitcar

The firm says Somalis have the same needs as British or Americans

A money-transfer company has made a piece of banking history in Somalia - introducing the first-ever debit card in the breakaway region of Somaliland.

The firm, Dahabshiil, hopes eventually to roll the system out to all Somali-speaking areas from Djibouti to Kenya.

They say large shops and hotels in areas with good internet connection and electricity can sign up to the service.

The card was launched in Somaliland's capital Hargeisa because of insecurity elsewhere in the region.

'Cashless society'

Somaliland declared itself independent from Somalia in 1991, when the country's central government collapsed.

Since then, Somaliland has forged a relatively stable state, despite its lack of international recognition.

Most of the rest of Somalia has been wracked by violence and Islamist insurgencies while

Dahabshiil boss Abdul Rashid Mohamed Said told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme he regretted that people overseas hear only bad news from Somalia.

"We believe Somalis here have the same needs as people in the UK or America and that's why the debit card will make their lives easier," he said.

He said he hoped to create a "cashless society" by encouraging customers to link their accounts directly to their cards.

The BBC's Jamal Abdi says people he spoke to on the streets of Hargeisa hope the new cards will reduce the long queues outside money-transfer agencies.

Dahabshiil has made its name by handling cash transferred by Somalis living overseas to their relatives back home.

Some estimates say as much as $1bn (£610m) is sent into Somalia from the emigrants.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

This is freaggin awesome!!!!

I think you failed to read the fine print of the debit card.

Not available to punk sijuis

:D

^Ha-Ha,How are you bud?!

1/2 of the sujuis have roots with qaldanistan,i mean,Somaliland :D

I was looking at it more from a business/revenue generating view point,but,nonetheless, Point taken well smile.gif

ElPunto   

^What do you mean Somalis? You mean Somalilanders right - are you backsliding here Marc?

FB - all good. They're gonna need big *** atm machines - wheel barrow full needed to make a $10 purchase.

I am Somali, but I am from Somaliland. The expression Somaliland should not be construed as being a particular ethnicity; it’s a unifying term for the inhabitants of Somaliland.