Sign in to follow this  
Decadent Ambition

Quito Ecuador

Salam folks,

Anyone been to this place or for that matter lived in a high altitude city(Denver, Bogotá)? Has nyone who visited it had any issues with altitude sickness or asthmatic problems when visiting laces that are at high altitudes? I'll be in Quito from the first October for three nights and was wondering how likely altitude sickness is at 9000+ feet.

I am mild asthmatic and was worried if altitude will adversely affect me. For those of you who had problems, how did you'll deal with it? Any local, perhaps herbal recommendations to relieve the headaches.

Your feedbacks appreciated. Thanks all.

You should visit your family doctor before you go. Diamox(acetazolamide)is usually prescribed for mountain/ high altitude sickness and you start taking it a few days before you leave for Bogota. Make sure you also take some extra MDI/inhalers with you and have your medical alert bracelet on.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Baluug   

^Welcome back, Dr. WOL and Eid mubarak smile.gif .

As for high altitudes, Calgary has quite a high altitude(1100 metres, or around 3500 ft. above sea level) and I've never had any problems with it. But that's nowhere near as high as some of those places in South America.

Buenos Tardes and thanks all for your feedbacks. I was wrong about Quito, been here for few hours and so far no major problem other than slight dizziness when we landed here. That too could have been caused by piss poor Copa Air. Pretty cheap place and good prospect for enterprising folks. I am looking forward to further exploring it in the coming two days and will update accordingly. Hopefully if I do get a chance also visit Galapagos islands.

Eid Mubarak