Sign in to follow this  
The_Siren

Cheesy romance book covers to die for....

Indhoos   

Ala Siren, True he raped her, and believe me there is no justifying a rape, but, BUT...

He let her have all the revenge and fun she wanted against her childhood love, she behaved in a naive manner and drove him insane with jealous. He thought that she was a worldly woman when he took her to bed then almost died from the shame of it. Later her reputation was cleared and they lived happily ever after.

Originally posted by pssst:

Ala Siren, True he raped her, and believe me there is no justifying a rape, but, BUT...

He let her have all the revenge and fun she wanted against her childhood love, she behaved in a naive manner and drove him insane with jealous. He thought that she was a worldly woman when he took her to bed then almost died from the shame of it. Later her reputation was cleared and they lived happily ever after.

Psst- LOL My dear sister never did I believe to live to see the day that the words yes it was rape, but and happily ever after appear together in a response. I mean no matter who spoiled and self-ishly she behaved and she had a right to she was blooming 18/17 when he first met her (and he 30 something) if a teenager doesn’t have the right to be foolish at heart juvenile in youth then what reprieves do the rest of us have?

I mean just look at your response your trying to justify his insidious behaviour and thus rape with the idea that she drove him “insane with jealousy” and that he “let her” note the operative word “he let have revenge on her past love” which incidentally came across like an angel in comparison to the “hero” in this novel. As for the jealousy was he not a good 15 years her senior how in the lords graces can we justify rape of any kind? Was he not the experience world weary individual in this situation? He behaved like a brutish despicable thug and she an naïve imbecilic fool for accepting such treatment.

Truly it was despicable walaalo and there cannot be any happily ever after here. What he did to her? Forgoing the sexual abuse but the mental and emotional torture this man put Whitney through was truly something to shudder over. This book was not a romance book but one of deep abuse and psychological torment. Its shouldn’t even be fit to lie on a book shelf, and I shudder and weep for fear that one day a daughter of mine will happen upon this book by chance and think it in the least bit romantic.

Miriam1   

So I finally pickedup a Nora Roberts book...a two in one deal - Captivated and Enchanted...so far I am bit disappointed - She's no match for Sophia Kinesalla's books.

Originally posted by Hayam:

So I finally pickedup a Nora Roberts book...a two in one deal - Captivated and Enchanted...so far I am bit disappointed - She's no match for Sophia Kinesalla's books.

Alaa your speaking about that woman who wrote confessions of a shop-oholic. I've come across her but I didn't read her books

As for Nora Roberts, shes what I call mainstream acceptable-to pass the time books. Nothing to vexing in her books. She writes to many books to be excellent.Personally I am weary of authors who churn out books like their on an assembly line. Often

About confessions of a shop-aholic is it any good? Sounds a like Cary Bradshaw teenager love fest. I maybe wrong.

Miriam1   

Imagine the fun you had when you watched "When Harry Met Sally" or "Bridget Jones Dairies". Its just like that..but in a book. I really liked Confessions of a Shopaholic..but by far the best of her books is "Can You Keep a Secret" very funny and sweet.

On Nora Roberts..I am returning the silly book and getting the last Kinsalla book I haven't read

^- Its kinda true I can't argue with that, though I liked just one of books alot. The rest? Were acceptable so tell us some books you like and who you find to be wonderful.

Hayam- truth me told I really didn't like Bridget Jones diary much- I thought her a ninny. As for when Harry met Sally? Chauvinism at its best. LOL- I liked watching it but reading about such mundane occurrences? I'll pass..I like my books with adventure, buried treasure, stolen jewels, corruption and a few Colombian drug smugglers thrown into the mix. I'm a kid at heart. LOL

Indhoos   

Siren Darling, I would say very well done on your response in the same sentence that I will say job well done to McNaught.

A book that has stirred your passion and tapped your feelings to this extent does indeed deserve a praise and will stay on my fav list.

I would say that the lady author has achieved her goal in which she got her reader to have a very strong opinion about the book one way or another. If you were not able to recall the story, it would have been another matter altogether.

On to a different topic,

All of you avid readers in SOL, Please tell me what makes a book that you have read memorable. Include feelings, emotion, etc.. that the particular book invoked in you as you read it.

^- LOL Damn you....very diplomatic but you have a point. Still, you didn't truly find it "romantic" did you? Intriguing and frightening yes but romantic? I apologize for my cyber molestation but I am truly intrigued as to understand where the romance was to ensue.

Reminds of Salman Rushdie "the satanic verses" which weren't even that bad. Why on earth anyone would take the ramblings of a mad man (the character) to heart is interesting. I guess faith is a touchy subject.

Indhoos   

^^^LOL No need for apologies dear, the passion in your response deserves to be applauded.

If it is was a cheesy romance as some books that I have seen, it would have faded from memory for me. Why is it in the romance genre, probably for lack of another placement.

As for Rushdie, I would say it would have been smarter for a Sholar to write a counter argument for his book, instead of requesting his head on a silver platter. It is the demand on his life that he gained most of his fame from.

Now do answer my Q at the bottom of the previous post.

Okay now I am ready to answer your question I apologies profusely my saucy sister for taking too bloody long! I now have the time and energy to respond and keep coming back-I've rested in enough..* Gallantly kiss the top of her in apology*

I have read many a memorable book which captured my imagination and emotions. But the most emotionally charge one I read was about India infamous Bandit Queen Phoolan Devi. An extraordinary tale but a remarkably strong and self-aware woman. Real life, real interesting

And you?

^- Twilight- you mean that book based on that horny teenage vampire movie that was a total waste of energy and time?

LOL-Ignore me I'm just bitter...

Twilight- you mean that book based on that horny teenage vampire movie that was a total waste of energy and time?

:D Yes, and the series Inspired a CULT. At first, I thought the same thing untill my friend read it and gave rave reviews. It is very funny, lighthearted, and it's told in first person. Also, it is very descriptive and tention building. You just want to know what happens next. And the movie is a total crap. It is so typical of Hollywood to take a good book and ruined it beyond recognition like they did to THE KITE RUNNER :mad:

Indhoos   

C&H, do post a quick review once you finish reading the Twilight, I was thinking about picking it up, but did not get to it yet...

As for the Q, I will answer it some other time...I have to study for a final.

A FINAL!!!!!

God! I thought I left such nonsense in undergrat, but what do you know...*Tries hard to supress dark thoughts to the subconcsious*