Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Going rate...

Hey Nomads,

I realize I might be threading on sensitive grounds with this topic but I'm genuinely curious to know what the going rate for dowry in our community is? What factors do people take into considerations? Do things like Qabiil/ education/ qualifications count for the girl?

What about the status of the person paying the dowry? Is it less for student and young people and more for the financially capable?

The married folk don’t have to reflect on personal experiences - but it would be good to know what you guys observed around you, especially cases of over-inflated female worth :D

The 1st time the situation was in my family, lets just say I 'assumed' it was far greater than the 'average' rate and was sorely disappointed!

SeeKer   

I think last summer it was 3K but I think its up to the couple. Its not payment but a sign of respect. I heard a year ago in Ohio someone requested 10K.

Ps:- What was your assumed going rate anyway?

Johnny B   

Interesting questions there ..

One more question:

Does the male's nationality matter?, i mean if the man is say a Brit or a Zulu ?

This Dowry thing is a monkey business.

Buuxo   

So there is market price? And the average market price in UK is 3K? redface.gif

I hear stories of asking money,a house,Car etc.Kitaab or promise that the person will assist you in achieving your goal(be it higher education ,islamic knowledge).

Ibtisam   

The UK average is between 8-10k. The most I've seen was 20K, the shike who was doing the mehr gave a discount and in the end it was 19K. The least I've seen in £500.

I think it should depend on the guys ability, so to make it fair, the girl should request about 20% of his total wealth for the Mehr, then 5% for the soryo for parents, etc, 3% for the wedding, and 7% for the new home, 5% for a short holiday.

MZanzi   

The dowry usually comprises cash, jewelry, gold or xaaji qamsiin The rate varies according to the social status of the two families.

underdog   

Regardless of what the starting number is, there factors that are considered by the both families.

Brides family

*If the dude is not a member of the qabil, the price goes up significantly.

*If he's not a member of the qabil but shows tangible potential of future success, the price hike is not as severe.

Grooms Family

*If she's anywhere close to, or past 30 (whether actual or stated age) the price comes down.

*Lack of demonstarted domestic skills and social presentation (for the slow people, that means how she conducts herself at home and in public) equals a further price drop.

*If she has been previously married and is or is not dragging along a few kids, then she's practically a freebie.

Now I know all this seems so politically incorrect but you all know in our Somali culture it really is like that.

Oz   

^^ @freebie.

A friend of mine went to UK to get married. However, after proposing marriage to two girls, he was rejected. Both the girls parents had asked him 'Yaa tahay'. The friend was turned down due to his tribe. He is now happily married to an Australian covert with two beautiful children.

The dowry depends upon the agreement between the man and woman. That is if, the parents are not involved. Which they shouldn't be to begin with since it is between the couple.

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

The UK average is between 8-10k. The most I've seen was 20K, the shike who was doing the mehr gave a discount and in the end it was 19K. The least I've seen in £500.

I think it should depend on the guys ability, so to make it fair, the girl should request about 20% of his total wealth for the Mehr, then 5% for the soryo for parents, etc, 3% for the wedding, and 7% for the new home, 5% for a short holiday.

Bari horaan guursanlahaa had I known. You can not be serious. It's more like 3K surely. At such outlandlish figures, it'll remain a debt rather than a mehr. Do the men actually pay up front? U always hear mid meherkeedi u ooyesa after divorce. Like he gives an ish anymore.

Paragon   

^Yes, 3k. The unwritten rule says so. It's fashioned after some imagined price of a number female camels. But that's just the norm. For many females it's business and so their prices vary.

There was an incident when on the night of the wedding, the bride put an ultimatum on the groom family that they should pay 10k on the spot or no wedding night. Rumour has it that the groom's father was so furious that he ordered his to-be daughter to get lost and he actually asked the single females present there 'who wants to get married?' One lucky lady got married that tonight while another lost out.

It's what i've heard.

Well, I now know the avg UK asking price :D is 3-5K. But I did genuinely think it was 10-20K...

According to Ibts numbers, a girl should get 40% in total of whatever he has saved - but what if he has just 1K saved, would any1 be willing to go for £400?

Johnny B   

^One is happy living outside the UK.

A price of 3K for what i've seen in Streatham is but overrated.

But then you've girls like Sheh, Serinety, Ibti etc etc living there.

Here in Gutenberg its ( johnny has no clue ) either a symbolic 10000 SEK or both the cow & the milk are free of charge. :D