Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

What to wear??

Ibtisam   

So tomorrow, two of my friends are getting married. Their wedding is slight different to anything I’ve ever been to.

There are 85 guest expected to attend, we must all be there by 2.30pm to greet and welcome the bride and groom at 3.00pm. We have all been allocated tablets, two families on opposite sides, and friends and colleagues in the middle. There are caters and a bouncer at the front door.

The wedding is MIX, mix seating arrangements etc. There is a video camera, a photographer who will be snapping away all day (Must remember to eat slowly)

In the invitation I got, it informs me that since this is the girls home town (London) the travelers (From up north- groom family) will be expected to eat at 3.30pm. Then the friends should follow as soon as they are finished and then finally the girl’s family. Food will be concluded by 5.00pm. Then we have a “duurbaand” and singer, who will perform and we must watch/ listen. At 5.30pm there will be a Islamic talk. And at 6.00pm people can mingle, greet, give presents and have shisha, cakes and snacks. Everyone should leave by 8.30pm. Some of us (30 people, all family and few friends) have been invited to go to the girl’s house after towards, to continuing there.

The bride has had a custom made dress with lovely long arms and hijab. It looks fantastic. Everyone else has been asked to dress conservatively.

Anyway I got a dirca made, but this thing is ridicules excuse for “clothing” SO some advise:

1) Do I wear a jacket and the shalmaad as hijaab (2morrow it is going to be hot) or Do I wear a cardigan or should just doom on an caabayah with colourful scarf? Or any other bright ideas.

Always what do you think of the wedding style???

Aaliyyah   

Well islamically I heard mixed weddings are haraam. But that been said the bride as you wrote above is going to dress in a modest and islamic way and asked her guests to dress the same. Thus I have no objections and I think she made the right choice...and its rare case that you will see the bride wearing hijaab? mashallah may allah swt bless her marraige...

as for you what you gonna wear ? ...since u said the weather is gonna be pretty hot. I suggest you wear a nice dress with a cardigan and shalmad..that sounds pretty okey....i dont know if ppl wear abaya for weddings? bt do whatever makes u feel comfortable...

hope that helps and again congrats to ur friends......ilaahay haka dhigo guur khyr qaba!!

Ibtisam   

Thanks for the dua smile.gif

But no you did not help. I'm dull girl I don't have dresses just hanging in my dresser! :D lol But thanks anyway.

She did not want exclude her male family members who happen to be majority and his friends.

Aaliyyah   

ibti don't you have time right now to go and buy a dress?...if not u are stuck with ur abaya smile.gif

I suppose its pretty late right now for you, get one first thing in the morning ;)

Iris   

I find very few things funnier than a bride in a white dress and hijab. You either stick to the Islamic wedding (nikah in mosque, segregated parties, go home and get it on...after praying two rakat's of course) or just do the Somali thing..let all and sundry in to dance, bicker and eat everytihng in sight..

Since you're already going, you should go in an abaya, you'll stick out. Anything colourful will mean you'll look like every other Xalimo.

How 'hot' is tomorrow going to be?

Ibtisam   

Oh I forgot to mention, you get picked up and dropped off! How cool is that, they are coming for me at 1.30 Sharp :D

It cost an Arm and a leg for something you wear for few hrs. Such waste. :D Still I might have to if I cannot come up with anything else.

Blessed   

How's my darling doing?

Wear dirac with cardigan / jacket (I saw a really nice perfect with jacket in HM before I left) and garbosaar, babes. It's lovey, lots of hijaabi sisters dress like that. smile.gif

Stay away from the abaaya, unless it's one of those dressy numbers.

p.s Is this an asian wedding?

Ibtisam   

^^No not an Asian wedding suprisingly

I'm wake you up early 2morrow (if I wake up) :D

Yeah I just tried one and the damn Bacweye thing rolls up wen you put cardigan on, It might might have to do though.

Aaliyyah   

Blessed there is this unwritten rule that u dont wear dirac to a mixed wedding.......bt if she wants to i guess it doesn't hurt.

ibti why "bacawayn" that thing is just too baggy..why not a normal dirac?...if you insist on wearing dirac that is...

Malika   

I second Blessed suggestion,a short jacket with the dircaa and beautiful hijaab will look cool and you will be properly covered..

The wedding sound well organised.

ps.Iris,welcome sis!

Ibtisam   

Iris Wlc firstly sis smile.gif

We are not allowed to dance. :D and she is not wearing a white dress. She got some Asian and Arab thing going on. Heavy as a person. I don't know how she'll walk. :D

Malika okay, thanks.

AAliya, they don't do normal diracs anymore, just these silly things that look like you can fit five of you in there!

Blessed   

Aaliyah,

Not in London honey. Only family and malxiisado are allowed to wear dresses. You'll stick out like a sore thumb if you wear a dress. I don't know how we got to that. :confused: I like dresses.

Ibtisaam,

LOL.. I'll be waiting, don't forget I'm a few hours ahead of ya..

Okay, try the bacwayne with a plain bashmina and accessorise..

Aaliyyah   

^ Blessed in here girls wear dresses in mixed weddings, and diracs when its like separate weddings.

anyways ibti have fun hun and i dont know how u gonna walk with that bacawayn ..I certainly hate it!!

Miriam1   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

^ Blessed in here girls wear dresses in mixed weddings, and diracs when its like separate weddings.

Oi? really I am heading to a mixed wedding this weekend, well too late. I would think you would do the exact opposite, some of those dresses are drastically revealing. Wouldn't it be more comfortable to wear them in a girls only receptions? and then wear a proper dirac with fodah/cardigan in a mixed wedding

um...must attend a few more of these hip weddings.

Aaliyyah   

you are right Hayam some dresses are revealing and those of us who are hijabis worry about the fact that it's too revealing and unislamic. But, once you wear it with a cardigan and hijaab(or shalmad) your shoulders and chest are covered.

Anyways, don't let me discourage you there is nothing wrong with wearing dirac to a mixed wedding, few ppl always show up with diracs smile.gif