Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Nadifa Mohamed's Black Mamba Boy - New Novel

Ibtisam   

^^^ It is what he said about her book more like. :D I think you do @ theirry!

I am suprised at the Somali words in this book, and all spelt strange- you think my somali writing is bad :D:D

This book will go over the head of a none-somali. Far too many Somali in there and I'm not even far into the book.

As for where she is from, her clan appears within the first chapter. icon_razz.gif

Thierry.   

I might have been a bit critical of the book, but as Ngonge explained to me later, it is difficult for Southerners to comprehend Jama’s life as they did not take the Aden route to Europe.

Ibti pass over her details I saw you taking them.

N.O.R.F   

Perfect place to read this book would be at a cafe on a quiet Cairo street (if there is such a thing) with mint tea and some grape

:cool:

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Lol stop player hating and pass the digits, I could be the muse for her third book.

Ceeb ey tacaal, the local shike claiming to be a player. Passing numbers wa xaram caleek. but you can review her book on Google and Amazon and help her sale as an apology.

Chimera   

Interesting story(atleast the blurb is), but I don't like the cover, it's very stereotypical and lacks imagination. I don't get the title either, the Black Mamba is absent in Somalia, that is the domain of Bitis arientans Somalica, (granted thats quite a mouthful for a book title lol, but there is still the alternative Somali snake; Naja ashei), what exactly does this name ''Black Mamba'' signify in the story?( a nickname?)

Somali or foreign words in a English language book is normal aslong as they are italicized and a glossary at the end of the book explains their meaning. This is very common in historical fiction about Ancient Egypt or China.

Ibtisam   

^^?

Adam, the name of the book is explained in the story, Jamas mum got a massage from a black Mamba near Hargisa. Are you saying it was not a Mamba? Hello btw smile.gif

NASSIR   

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

9780007315741.jpg

. Also it avoids explanations on the wrongful execution of Mahmood Mattan in 1952 as introduced with the preamble. Even so `Black Mamba Boy' is a deeply moving intimate account, and Nadifa Mohamed has faithfully fulfilled her father's wish to have people know what he endured and survived.

Is that the wrongly convicted and executed Mattan from the hills of Buraan, Sanaag, as related to me? So it's a Bur'o & Buraan joint venture.

I'll try reading it. :D