Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Radio.blog

Castro   

Ok, so may be I don't go out much anymore but I haven't been this excited since O.J. got off 10 years ago.

I'm listening to remixes that I never knew existed. Stuff you can't find in a store or on iTunes.

Do a search on something like 50 cent, Mary J. or The Game. There are gems to be heard. I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Dang. Double dang.

Niciima   

Baashi....Bro thanks for the link I AM LOVIN' IT. Just got done listening to Michael Jackson "The way you making me feel" ohhh I love that song.

BN   

Baashi,

Excellent link, dhankis saaxib. Currently enjoying "Do you remember the time" Michael Jackson. :D

Fidel,

Thats a great idea, hope Admin takes up the challenge! But the million dollar question is, what type of music to play? Is there a way for nomads to chose between the genre's? Or perhaps something different for every section of the forum....

Castro   

Originally posted by BN:

what type of music to play? Is there a way for nomads to chose between the genre's? Or perhaps something different for every section of the forum

Well, the way I understand the workings of this, you store the songs (in a certain format derived from mp3) and that becomes a "list" to be streamed to each client following the link. I think it's up to the Admin how it would be grouped. It would be up to the user, however, what they'd wanna listen too. It's no small potato getting this off the ground but I think it's a worthy endeavor.

Seeing that the owners of the site are serious about its value to Somalis everywhere, given enough requests, I believe they would add such a service. The only catch would be volunteers to "set it up". You know, compile the music, create the lists, configure the blog software, do the conversion and finally publish it. The nice thing about this site is, other than the cost of the UBB software, it is basically maintenance free. You need mods to administer the topics but the music would also need it's own mod. Another volunteer, see. It would probably start small, a few hundred songs, but it can grow to house all Somali songs out there. The good thing is, people will not be able to download the songs and steal them. They can only listen to them on the site and if they want it in their cars, they have to buy it.

So let's begin the petitioning for this. So far, it's me and BN. Any takers?

P.S. I've completely shunned my iTunes today.

Edited: One way to show you want this is to post a reply to this thread. If it hits a 100 unique posters, that would be 100/6000 = 1.67% of the registered users on SOL. A clear and sufficient majority to add the radio blog. :D

BN   

I'm sure if Admin has the time and resources, they will do what they can to improve this forum. As always, demand is also a big factor...so let's see if we're not the sole nomads making this request. :D

Castro   

Originally posted by BN:

so let's see if we're not the sole nomads making this request.
:D

Yeah really. I'm gonna set this up for myself so I have access to my music from anywhere. No car, no cd player, no iPod, deserted island? No problem. Even on someone else's computer. I can also share this with friends and family. You can't lose with this radio blog thingy really.

I was just hoping to see Somali songs on here. My collection has very few Somali songs which is pathetic. We'll see.

J.Lee   

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

Al Green is cool but the Bill Withers version is better. Well in my opinion anyway.

I'm digging Ray charles' When a man loves a woman though I prefer Percy Sledge's.

NGONGE   

The good thing is, people will not be able to download the songs and steal them. They can only listen to them on the site and if they want it in their cars, they have to buy it.

Buy? Are you out of your mind?

What you need to do is download an MP3 recorder and record your ‘streaming’ songs while listening to them, saaxib. Only when the money is being donated to charity do people buy Music these days.

Originally posted by Wordette:

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

Al Green is cool but the Bill Withers version is better. Well in my opinion anyway.

You should hear the Michael Jackson version of that song. He did it when he was twelve years of age and it is, arguably, one of the best songs he ever did.

I don't believe in frettin' and grievin';

Why mess around with strife?

I never was cut out to step and strut out.

Give me the simple life.

Some find it pleasant dining on pheasant.

Those things roll off my knife;

Just serve me tomatoes; and mashed potatoes;

Give me the simple life.

Does anyone know if that song is in there... I did a couple of searches but couldn't find it. It's a duet from the 1960s I think... and from googling, I found it was sang by a number of people including Julie London.

Baashi   

Morning,

Glad u all like it.

Ngonge, good to be back sxb. By any chance, do u have Somali collection (in mp3 format). Fidel is eager to replicate radio.blog and put the magic nomad touch on it.

Fidel, get to work and get it done :D . I will donate tracks to this project. I got Dhuule, Mooge, Saleebaan, Hanuuniye, Magool, Tahliil, and other well known artists tracks sitting in my sonicstage player. Libaax has done his share and there is no need to burden him on this one. All u need from him is a nod. BW, is there any copyright concern in all of this?

BN, what kind of collection do u have in ur possession sxb?

NGONGE   

But of course, monsieur :D

Though it's mostly Qaraami stuff. When whoever (meaning Mr F) is ready, give me a shout (and a bit of instruction) so that I can post/link/send or beam them up to you.

Castro   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

But of course, monsieur
:D

Though it's mostly Qaraami stuff. When whoever (meaning Mr F) is ready, give me a shout (and a bit of instruction) so that I can post/link/send or beam them up to you.

Mmmm. Qaraami.

Hey, for a prototype, I'll need a webserver. Someone running their own site, like SOL. Even if it has nothing on it. I can set up a local one my machine but it's difficult to test that since outside connection won't see anything.

I downloaded the radio blog software last night. That, a couple of mp3's and a webserver and we're good to go.

Baashi, Ngonge: I'll PM you my email address so send me a few songs. Enough to make a decent list out of.