Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Court grapples with lawyer's veil

NGONGE   

Cambaro,

Again, you’re mixing your causes here. The attacks on Islam in the media are there for everyone to see. Making a stand is a must. On those two points I am in total agreement with you. However, we still have to pick our arguments carefully. When the faith allows such a lawyer flexibility in her actions yet she chooses to be stubborn, why should I support her petulant stance? I think she has made the wrong choice. You can’t force the world to follow your desires.

Here, imagine if she was the defendant instead of being the lawyer. Lets say she was accused of murder or something. Would you expect her to wear her niqaab in court and would you agree that she should not be asked to show her face to the judge? Don’t assume that the accused here is guilty by the way.

Wearing your niqab in the street, as you travel or if you’re window-shopping is all fine in my humble opinion. However, when you come into contact with people (such as the bus driver, the cashier in the shop or a judge) it all becomes business and one can’t see how showing your face as you conduct your business is in any way an invitation for fitnah and what have you (remember, avoiding fithanh was the reason for the niqab in the first place).

Sophist   

"(remember, avoiding fithanh was the reason for the niqab in the first place)"

Classic Saki Badawi argument!! laakiin waa dood maan gal ah.

Maybe she has a particularly pretty mouth. That could cause fitnah. The bus driver, cashier or judge might not be able to do their job if they are looking at such luscious lips. Think about it.

Khalaf   

^^^thats just wrong val. u may not agree with the sisters choice but dont make cheap sarcastic remarks about our believing women.

great discussion, UK in the da house. i think those who say show the face bring up good point, but that can be easily accomplished by showing it to female jury, female workers, ect. The veil in no way stops these women from either teaching or being a lawyers....they are quite incrediable women that can command any stage.

Ms DD   

^^ I think that is trivialising the concept of niqaab.

Ngonge

You have a point there. My only contention is the distance this discussion could go. Where will it stop? Many muslim countries are also taking this position in order to make their western masters happy. The actual niqab wont cause fitnah, but the discussion itself will. But since stifling the debate isnt clever, one is hoping for the best.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Still, in the case of this lawyer I really fail to see how her thinking process goes when she knows that she’ll come up against many judges (who are not Muslim) that will be prejudiced against her clients purely because the advocate is wearing the ‘wrong’ attire.

How far should she go - in her pursuit of the 'right' attire?

^ As far required to keep the focus on her clients intrests rather than her preferences. Which if i'm not mistaken is what she is contracted to do!

Khayr   

Now does she have the rights to make political statement, yes, most definetly. Does she have the right to stick a finger up at the establishement, again yes and i will support her for it with all my heart. But, will i want her arguing my case behind her cloth, I'm sorry but the answer is no.

Further, her actions are full of contradictions, first, if she's going to such lengths to protect her modestly against men, why engade in a profession that will expect her to constantly engage with men, and at that, men that arnt muslims.

Now that does not mean dont get a job, it means get a job that minimises your risks. But hightening your risks of engadement, then arguing, you have a right to withdraw from the social etiquites that govern interactions in the profession she's chosen, that is just plain hypocrycy.

I agree that the sister's actions and profession contradict her sentiments.

Its a case of mixed intentions but then again, don't we all have mixed intentions. Its rare to a find souls with clear and pure intentions.

Inshallah, May Allah preserve her Iman, increase her Sabr/Patience and Perserverance in these trying times for her. May Allah reward her in this dunya and Akhirah.

Although I may disagree with the sister's Methodology but her Niyah though mixed at times, is inshallah good. This is reflected in what has transpired as a result of this.

Niqaabis have it hard and we shouldn't be hard on them for their heart is in the right place, inshallah.

Fi Amanillah