Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

Have you ever?

N.O.R.F   

Dont you just love our 'learned' brothers :D

Today they will support a gaal to kill a muslim, tomorrow they will lecture you on how muslims should reply to the same gaal :D

carry on,,

Al-Hamdulillaah!

As-salaamu calaa man ittabacal hudaa inshallaah! It is a well known fact that it is haraam according to the Shariicah and sunnah of this deen to initiate and greet a kaafir with the words of ‘As-salaamu calaykum’ or Peace be upon you in English language!

Seeing that Imaam Malik rahimahullaah saw no problems in greetins kaafirs and being the initiater of the greeting, although the prophet clearly outlined that we should not be first to greet the people of the book and to reply to their salaam with ‘Wa Alaikum’ meaning ‘And you too’!

That’s what the holy prophet peace be upon him said:

Abu Basra l-Ghifari reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "I will ride to the Jews tomorrow. Do not give them the greeting first. If they greet you, then say, 'and on you.'"

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do not initiate the greeting to the Jews or the Christians. When you meet one of them in the road, force him to the narrowest part of it." [Muslim]

Another Agreed upon hadiith says the following on the instructions of how to reply to a greet by a non-believer and I quote:

Anas reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When the People of the Book greet you, say, 'And on you.'" [Agreed upon] by the two Shakhayn

The above hadiith has been verified and it is saxiix (correct or agreed upon with no doubts in its reporting it’s chain)

Tafsiir ibni Jalalayn says the following:

And when you are greeted with a greeting, as when it is said to you, 'Peace be upon you', greet, the one that greeted you, with better than it, by responding to him with, 'Peace be upon you, and God's mercy and blessings', or return it, by saying back to him what he said; in other words, it is a duty to greet in one of these two ways, the former being the preferred one. Surely God keeps count of, He holds [you] accountable for, all things, and requites accordingly, including things such as returning a greeting. The Sunna specifies that one should not return the greeting of an disbeliever, an innovator, a wicked person, and of the one that greets a person who is in the act of relieving himself, or one in the bath, or one eating - indeed it is actually disapproved with the exception of the last. To the disbeliever [who says 'peace be upon you'] one should simply say, 'And upon you'.

Furthermore in Adaabul Mufraid by Shaikh Bukhari it says:

'Abdu'r-Rahman said, "Ibn 'Umar passed by a Christian who greeted him and Ibn 'Umar returned the greeting. He was told that the man was a Christian. When he learned that, he went back to him and said, 'Give me back my greeting.'"

So how come that Imaam Maalik says it is ok and not a problem to greet a kaafir first although the sunnah states it very clearly?

Furthermore Muhammed Salih Al-Uthaimeen says that it is not permissible to initiate the greet by saying ‘As-salaamu Alaikum’ whilst other scholars say it is ok such as ibn Qayyim say that one could initiate the greeting (salaam), when one has got a need or in the event of hoping some one reverting to Islaam or close non-believing (kaafir) family members! The sunnah however clearly states ‘No’!

Furthermore when the prophet Muhammed peace be upon him was writing to the kings and rulers of this world he greeted them with the following As-Salaamu calaa man ittabacal Hudaaa which means ’And peace be upon those that follow the (correct and true) guidance Al-Hudaa!

He didn’t greet them directly with the Salaam as to the same prohibition that one cannot initiate Salaam to the kaafirs as it is clearly against the shariicah and sunnah! Furthermore the instructions is only to reply with ‘Wa Alaikum’, which is agreed upon reply but not with the salaam, the reason being that it is a dua (salaam does not only have the simple linguisticp meaning of ‘peace’ in this context but ‘It is also one of the Exalted Names of Allah, the source of peace and protection. Salaam is a greeting from Him‘.

The greeting ‘Assalamu Alaykum’ is commonly translated as ‘peace be upon you’ and it means: May you remain safe from every pain, sorrow and distress.

Qadhi Abu Bakr ibn al-Arabi (Allah have mercy on him) states:]

“The word Salam is one the good names of Allah Almighty and ‘Assalamu Alaykum’ means: Allah Almighty is your guardian and caretaker. (Ahkam al-Qur’an).

Furthermore it says:

Due to this aspect of Salam, it is generally impermissible to use this form of greeting for non-Muslims. Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“A believer may greet a non-Muslim (with the greeting of salam) if he has a need from him otherwise it is prohibitively disliked (makruh)Therefore, one should abstain from saying Salam to the disbelievers, for the Hadith says: “Do not commence by greeting the Christians and Jews with Salam. If you meet one of them on a pathway, force them to walk on the side” recorded by al-Bukhari. If a Jew, Christian or fire-worshipper greets you, then there is nothing wrong in replying to them, but one should not say more than ‘Wa alaykum’.

On the other hand it also says:

Allama Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) states by commentating on the above:

“It is stated in al-Shir’a (name of a book) that when one greets non-Muslims, one should say: Assalamu ala man ittaba’a al-huda (may peace be upon the guided ones). The reason for this impermissibility of saying Salam to non-Muslims is to not show them respect. When one greets them for a need, it is not out of respect, thus permissible. (See: Radd al-Muhtar ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar, 6/412).

Furthermore Imaam Bukhari again, the Shaikh says:

Imam al-Bukhari records a Hadith in his Sahih on the authority of Anas ibn Malik (Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: If the people of the book (ahl al-Kitab) greet you, say in reply: Wa alaykum (and also on you)”. (Sahih al-Bukhari).

On the issue of the prophet greeting a combined assembly of muslims and other non-believers it says the following:

The author of Tafsir al-Mazhari states:

“If a group consists of Muslims, Idolaters and Jews, one should greet them (with Salam), as mentioned in the Hadith recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim from Usama ibn Zaid. However, the intention should be to say Salam to the Muslims (of that group) so that it does not entail commencing to greet non-Muslims”!

Furthermore in Suurah An-Noor it says:

"When you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allah (i.e. say 'As-salaam Alaikum') blessed and good."

Salaam is a distinctive aspect of a Muslims social conduct. Greeting someone with Salaams is a kind of invocation for his welfare and blessings. It instills brotherly love and strengthens the ties of brotherhood and closeness, and mutual relationships result in a strong and unwavering society.

It is reported by Abu Dawood in his ahadiith collection the following:

Abu Hurayrah reported the Messenger of Allah said: "By Him in Whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Should I not guide you to something which will install love amongst you: 'Spread salaams amongst you.'"

It is regarded by most Islamic scholars to be forbidden for a Muslim to return the Salam greeting of a non-Muslim in full

Furthermore Imaam An-Nawawi says in his commentary:

Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary (14/144-145):

The scholars agree that the greeting of the
People of the Book should be returned
, if they greet us with salaam,
but we should not say to them, “Wa ‘alaykum al-salaam (and upon you be peace).” We should say only “ ‘alaykum (upon you)” or “wa ‘alaykum (and upon you).”

Furthermore in his commentary he says and notes the following and here it is:

The scholars differed as to returning the greeting of salaam when a kaafir initiates it or initiating the greeting.
Our opinion is that it is haraam to initiate the greeting
but
we
have to return their greeting
by saying
“Wa ‘alaykum” or just “ ‘alaykum.”
Our evidence with regard to initiating the greeting is the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him),
“Do not initiate the greeting with the Jews and Christians” and his command to reply by saying, “Wa ‘alaykum.”
What we have mentioned as our
madhhab or point of view is also the opinion of most of the scholars and the majority of the salaf!
It is
permissible to initiate the greeting when addressed to a group composed of both Muslims and kaafirs, or one Muslim and a number of kaafirs,
but he
should intend the greeting
to be
directed towards the Muslim(s)
among them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
greeted an assembly
that included a mixture of Muslims and mushrikeen.

I will never greet a kaafir by saying the salaam to him first as according to the Shareecah, so furthermore I will only reply to them as ordained in the shariicah by only saying to them 'Wa Alaikum' but not going further and establishing the full salaam because I believe one has to distinguish muslims and non-muslims from one another! I believe that it is impermissible to greet non-Muslims with the Islamic greeting of Assalamu Alaykum and that if they want to be greeted with the exclusive Islamic greeting that they have to join the religion of ours, really simple!

On the other hand most of the kaafirs today use the salaam only mockingly like the jews before them so it is not permissible to allow the mockery of the religion and jesting by the non-believers by accepting their 'salaam' and on top of that making Duca for them! It comes down to the simple fact that the salaam was ordained by Allaah to the muslims, which muslims started using the greeting whereby before they were using what the 'pagans' and kufaar were using! So the salaam is only for muslims and if a kaafir comes and jestingly (why would they otherwise greet you with it) their reply should be 'Wa Alaikum'! As ordered by the prophet peace be upon him in the sunnah and ahadiith!

So I say: As-Salaamu calaa man ittabacal Hudaa! Peace be upon those that follow the right guidance! Certainly the kaafirs are not the followers of the right guidance, so no salaam for them!

BOB   

The most beautiful part is..when i used to hear my non-muslim Kenyan friends say "Wallahi Bellahi"....

it became common in Nairobi..especially among those non-muslims living amongst the muslims..particularly Somalis....

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Miriam1   

I realized how often I would say it, in my first year of univ. When I told a Irani prof, that I didnt know was muslim ( I am still not sure if he is)

Prof: The assignment should be handed in next week

Me: Inshallah will do that, prof.

Prof (big grin) okay

Me:feeling all weird..lol

But didnt stop me..say it all the time right and am ready for that weird look and necessity of an explaination

i thought this chinese gal in the dorm in college how to say al hamdu lilaha after eating food...well, i had to settle for alma di alaha!

it was good nuff 4 me!