Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

STD in Somalia

Johnny B   

Djib, who can lambaste a Creator's wisedom? none i'd say. its just that darn reality of Asprin doing great job against headaches and Condoms protecting agains STDs either from un-lawfully cheating husband /wife, namely a non-polygamous partner or from a lawfully cheating partner, namely a polygamous partner.

Khalaf , Stop beeing dishonst and pulling Lily's legs, technically, there is no difference between a player boy-freind and a polygamous husband, they both sleep around with different partners, only difference is one is claimed to be doing it with God's blessing.

Hiv is only one of many STDs and the data u presented does not represent soley the role of polygamy.

polygamous or player partners contribute equally to the spreading of STDs , and thanks to CONDOMS, we can limit the damage they cause.

Originally posted by
Johnny B
:

its just that darn reality of Asprin doing great job against headaches and Condoms protecting agains STDs

That make me chuckle Johhny! :D

Blessed   

I doubt that Somalis would go around collecting condoms...

It's a matter of being responsible and having respect for ones health. That would only coming about once people are educated on the subject and the misconceptions are removed. Throwing condoms on the matter won't really solve anything.

Baashi   

Condoms work. Granted they sometimes fail but by and large they are useful preventive tool.

I don't see the connection of having more than one wife and the HIV!! If one is sick with desease like this one, one should not marry period. It is irrelevant the number of wives/husbands a patient sleeps with so long he/she is infected with HIV and other STD deseases.

-Lily-   

Khalaf,

In general Muslim ppl do not sleep around, and if they don't fear God they fear for their reputation.

I was referring to countries where there is LIMITED HEALTH service, eg. Somalia, where it would be wise to limit the number of partners you have. I am not talking about AIDS but STDs which can be easily treated in most cases.

So are you trying to tell me, logically, if a man or a woman has STD and the man has more than one wife this disease will not be spread around within that group? I'm not saying it is caused by polygamy but it doesn’t help the situation. Neither am I discussing the righteousness of polygamy nor if AIDS is prevail ant. Disease does not defrenciate according to your marital status.

Khalaf   

Lily my point we Muslims should say: to you be your way to us be ours! No to condoms, no to the so called health awareness teaching the muslims about safe sex, I would go as far as expelling, prosecuting any group which advocates this to Muslims. Its not about being “backward” as our enlightened friend JB would want us to believe, because Islam is the ideology the civilization which took Europe out of the dark ages, and the initiator of the scientific revolution. look at the map lily: there is far less public health awareness, and advocacy for use of condoms, safe sex education ect in muslim countries then in Kenya, South-Africa, ect but with all the education about these issues they are far far worse affected by these diseases then the “backward” Muslims. How is that possible?

By obeying only the ayats of the Noble Quran a community of more then one billion people of different languages, ethnicities, cultures, locations around the globe collectively have avoided these diseases which have befallen their educated non-muslim counterparts. I say we stay "backward"!

Cara.   

Khalaf, you're wrong about safe sex education and condom use. In the early 1990s Uganda began an aggressive national campaign to promote condom use, HIV testing, and safe sex practices. The message was both rational and effective: Abstinence; if that's too difficult, Be Faithful; if you can't do that, use Condoms. This "ABC" approach helped reduce the HIV rate from 25% to the low single digits. Other African countries were pressured by the US government (through aid $$) to only stress abstinence, to disastrous results. It's immoral to let one's political views cloud one's perceptions to the detriment of others. Public health policies should be motivated by what works, not by what ought to be.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Cara:

Other African countries were pressured by the US government (through aid $$) to only stress
abstinence
, to disastrous results. [/QB]

They are non-muslims Cara. how muslims and non-muslims react to absitence programs will be different. mida kale non-muslims can do what they want to control the aids, other stds....we muslims do not have a huge problem as a community and will never as long as we stick to our religion. Look at the power of Islam Cara: One ayat stay from zina (nearly a billion) ppl do, one ayat do not drink, n gamble -nearly one billion have said hear hear...something $$$ billions aid and secular education can never achieve. ;)

Ms DD   

Some studies in this field suggest that STD has a chance of increasing among polygamy relationships. Many of you may disgaree with polygamy marriages however you cant use this as a stick to beat with it. At first i was very much against that polygamy increases the spread of STDs. But i have thought about this long and hard and common sense will tell you that when a ma, who is a carrier, marries 4 women and lets say that he dies and the women remarry to 4 different men, how many will be at risk? Because of that man, 8 people will be at risk.

This is not to say that we should ban polygamy but one can be careful by screening their partner before they marry and after a period of time if you have tuhun. In an ideal world, the husband with the four wives have never been with other women before his wives and the wives have never been with other men before their husband. But how can one be so sure? It is good to think well of your spouse but not when your life is at risk.

Coming back to the original post, in my opinion, distributing condoms tells people that lack of self control is okay. It says it’s okay to have sex, just put this on first.

Which approach is more effective in preventing HIV infection among people... abstinence only or broad-based sexual health promotion?

Abstinence only approaches usually have a strong moral basis, promoting Islamic values and typically teaching abstinence from all sexual activity outside marriage. I think this could really work. But when this isnt discussed among our society and that this problem is swept under the carpet, we have no way of stopping this desease.

To me, sex education encourages early sexual activity in countries such as in Somalia. I find this is more effective in ultra-conservative society. Education on contraception encourages sexual activity. Condoms and other kinds of contraceptives frequently fail. Remember I am talking about sex outside/before marriage. After marriage, cheating on your partner is grave sin in Islam. I find most people take this seriously.

In our country, this is a big problem.

NGONGE   

I’m not sure if the attack on polygamy will withstand any close scrutiny. Yes, it’s true that if one person in a polygamous circle has an sexual diseases there is a huge risk that he/she will pass them on to the rest of the people in the circle (I’m assuming the circle contains five people). However, the disease will remain in that closed circle and is unlikely to spread any further. Unless of course, someone cheats or is divorced and marries again! The chances are that one person in that circle will cheat or get divorced. How different is that to a marriage that contains only two people instead of one that contains five? The chances of the spread of the disease are more or less still the same. And, the worry about STDs is not because of an infection to one person but the fact that this one person might go around and infect a hundred others. So, no, I beg to disagree here and think that this preposterous idea is influenced by an already decided and (obviously) subjective verdict against polygamy. Try again people. Or, better still: take two. :D

-Lily-   

Khalaf and Cambarro,

You are both assuming all Muslims are good, ideally they should be but that is not the reality and asumption is simply not good enough when it comes to such an important issue as STDs.

Ms DD   

Ngonge (what a mouthful)lad

I understand your point. However if a man was to be unfaithful and catch God knows what, from who knows what, and he was to pass it on to one wife, chances are that the STD wouldnt spread (that is if she didnt cheat herself or remarry later). But the unfaithful man were to pass STD to 2 to 4 wives and their kids, more will be people will be infected. However once the partners are faithfull and tested each other beforehand, it wont matter if the man married 20 women, the risk would be lower.

Lily

I didnt assume anything. There are good faithful kind people in all creeds smile.gif But it is all about people doing the decent things for their partners.