Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

STD in Somalia

Taliban   

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

Why do you assume condoms are only used for illegal sex?

I do not assume; condoms are only used for illegal sex. Condoms are used for dating, adventure, one-night-stand, brief relationship, extramarital relationship, iwm. In short, for illegal sex. A husband and wife are the only two partners who engage in legal sex, and they have no need for condoms.

^ Well, that's ur opinion, albeit a narrow one. If it pleases you to tie condoms to casual sex, feel free. However, to most married people condoms are useful. Not all couples want to breed like they are in an animal sanctuary.

Originally posted by MKA Yoonis:

Sister I already said to you 'That I liked you' so isn't that enough of a apology!

When I usually
apologise to someone, I tell them that 'I like them'! So I like you Val that should be sufficient inshallah!

You should know me, I never apologise to women nor do I tell them that 'I love them', all I say is that 'They're appreciated'!

So calm down, relax and offer me an apology instead!

Not good enough, dear. NOT good enough.

Taliban   

Not all couples want to breed like they are in an animal sanctuary.

And you assume only condoms can prevent breeding "like they are in an animal sanctuary"?

Originally posted by Taliban:

And you assume only condoms can prevent breeding "like they are in an animal sanctuary"?

I try not to assume too much as a general rule. Condoms are less troublesome than some other types of contraception plus they have the added benefit of protection against the topic of this thread: unwanted infections.

Off topic, but are you Hadaad by any chance? You write similarly.

Taliban   

Condoms are less troublesome than some other types of contraception plus they have the added benefit of protection against the topic of this thread: unwanted infections.

Is your "less troublesome" based on medical/clinical evidence or are you assuming? About the protection against unwanted infections, how would married couples have children, because without condoms there's a risk of unwanted infections?

So how about if I remove this taliban out of your face? I could beat him up for you and put him in a cage so that you might use him as a exotic public exhibition, deal?

Glad that you accepted that offer of mine!

Jacpher   

^Stalker offer?

Lily, I can’t believe you insinuated polygamy with STDs. How about Xalimo’s marriage to her fifth husband? As much taboo as it is, health awareness and better hospital practices with infection control is what they need the most.

Johnny B   

I adore condoms, its just a rubber yet very effective against many holy diseases, that otherwise come along with a 'legally' or 'illegally' cheating partner. :D

A polygamous partner is just as flithy & risky person to cuddle with.

Lily , on a serious note i do agree with you.

Condom for Life . :D

-Lily-   

We all know (or least I hope we do) that STDs are spread through sexual intercourse. The more partners you have the more risk. This is regardless of whether it is husband number 5 or wife number 2! That is a fact, whether you have a different opinion or not.

I only mention polygamy because contrary to the believe that its not a common thing, it's quiet the norm in Somalia.

I'm done repeating myself.

Even by assuming that "condoms are the way forward", how could they be widely available in rural as well as urban areas and supplied regularly in a country where the lack of clean water work havoc on its population?

So, are you ready to say to the poor under-nourished mother: I have neither food supplies nor safe water to drink for you, but here's your weekly entitlement of condoms so you can have safe sex at least!

On a more serious note, pre-nuptial checks for STDs should be institued, alongside other routine health-checks, as already done in other countries (maybe by making it compulsory or offering incentives).

Likewise, those already contaminated could be helped or even treated through generic medicines, if offering it would not conflict with other priorities, as to encourage individuals at risk to diagnosis themselves and avoid propagating STDs.

Nevertheless, the more fundamental issue is to discourage prostitution/adultery/fornication by applying Shariah while educating the masses about Islam.

It should be stressed also that Aids, however most dangerous, is just the tip of the iceberg as many other STDs cause infertility, major disabilities, chronic pain, favorize some forms of cancers or even kill .

It seems incredible then that some will lombastes their creator wisdom and advocate instead for condoms, medicines ect which can only protect/cure to a limited extent against STDs, while the health systems of the richest countries can not sustain other unavoidable treatments despite their already unsustainable economies which destroy the environment and lives of the rest of the mankind!

Taliban   

Originally posted by Djib-Somali:

the more fundamental issue is to discourage prostitution/adultery/fornication by applying Shariah while educating the masses about Islam.

That's right. However, it's not upto us to apply Shariah; we have to get permission from the West and so far the many permissions we have requested have been rejected.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

We all know (or least I hope we do) that STDs are spread through sexual intercourse. The more partners you have the more risk. This is regardless of whether it is husband number 5 or wife number 2!
That is a fact,
whether you have a different opinion or not.

I only mention
polygamy
because contrary to the believe that its not a common thing, it's quiet the norm in Somalia.

I'm done repeating myself.

Salaamu alaykum Lily, correct me if wrong but u seem to be connecting polygamy to rise of stds(aids) or its a risk factor. it would be fair to say then that polygamy is more common in muslim countries such as somalia more so then in non-muslim countries. marka why do polygamy practicing countries have much lower rates of these deadly diseases? heres a map:

http://www.data.org/whyafrica/map/

where are your facts yaa lilly?

by Mejia: "Condoms, Condoms, Condoms problem solved."
smile.gif

u seem too happy about condoms :confused: but facts on the ground are Islam Islam Islam problems solved. smile.gif

This is a really sad issue.tnx sis for bringing it up. u know, therez a lady i know whoz been sick for almost 5 yrz n shez got a young daughter, around 12 yrz of age whoz also been very sickly all her life. They came to Nairobi for treatment after trying TB drugz like for ever n so she went to hospital.

The doctor suggested AIDS test for both of dem but she refused saying they wanted to infect her wid it. fInally, after alot of pursuasion she agreed for the daughter to b tested n she waz positive.she refused to take the ARV's n does believe the results so she went back to NEP with her kid.the worst part is she keeps gettin dvorced n re-marrying. I really feel terribly horrified for the Somali society.

Originally posted by Djib-Somali:

It seems incredible then that some will lombastes their creator wisdom and advocate instead for condoms, medicines ect which can only protect/cure to a limited extent against STDs, while the health systems of the richest countries can not sustain other unavoidable treatments despite their already unsustainable economies which destroy the environment and lives of the rest of the mankind!

Hmmm...

Can anyone actually advocate for condoms instead of Islam? (I can't see condoms turning into a religion somehow). It seems to me it goes without saying that, although condoms play a big role in sexual health, they can only be supplementary to awareness-raising and education. What would be the point otherwise?

I would have thought it was obvious that problem-solving measures for a Muslim society have to be within an Islamic framework.

Simply screaming 'Islam is the answer' doesn't do much, especially since there are so many misconceptions, misinformation and taboos surrounding family planning and sexual health issues in the Muslim world.