Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

The funny news of the day!

STOIC   

Only in Africa are people paid to close their legs together.Like a biochemist studying a colony of bacteria under the microscope-Africans bad behaviours are watched closely so that it doesn't multiply,what a shame!.

Jul 20, 8:31 AM (ET)

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) - A lawmaker is offering to pay university fees for girls who are virgins when they graduate from high school, in part to help fight AIDS.

"We want to encourage people to be morally upright and not to go into early marriages. We also want girls to resist defilement. We do not want these girls to get exposed to AIDS," Bbaale County Member of Parliament Sulayiman Madaada said Wednesday.

He said he was counting on donors to help pay for the project.

Health workers in the central Kayunga District will conduct gynecological examination on girls who want to take part in the project - which is also intended to promote the education of girls there, Madaada told The Associated Press.

Uganda was one of the countries hit hardest by HIV/AIDS, but an aggressive campaign led by political, religious and community leaders pushed down infection rates from as high as 30 percent in the early 1990s to around seven percent now.

Infection rates, however, remain high in parts of Uganda.

Lawmaker Wants to Send Virgins to College

Sincere   

LONDON (Reuters) - Far from making him better, the medication used to treat the madness of England's King George III may actually have made him worse, according to research published Friday.

One of the longest serving British monarchs who ruled for nearly 60 years, George had five very public bouts of madness culminating in his death -- blind, deaf and insane in January 1820.

The generally accepted theory has been that his fits of insanity -- the best documented lasting from October 1788 to February 1789 and triggering a constitutional crisis -- were due to a genetic disorder that caused variegate porphyria.

But there was no explanation of why the disease that causes symptoms such as lameness, hoarseness, acute abdominal pain, insomnia and temporary mental disturbances hit so late in his life or why the bouts were so deep and lasted so long.

Now a team of scientists from Britain and Australia have found high concentrations of arsenic in samples of the king's hair and suggested it came from the antimony-based medicine administered -- sometimes by force -- to cure him

Source

STOIC   

We have exhausted this topic for the last two years i have been a member in SOL.We grew tired of it.We can read this article and sympathise with the young girl patience and fortitude she faced with this cruel act or we can turn away and say " oh not another Jeremiad on FGM!" :D

This rite is wrong

A Somali teenager asks her family and community why a brutal practice endures. But few are willing to talk.

Ayan Hussein - For the Journal-Constitution

Sunday, July 24, 2005

"Mom, tell her to stop! Please Mom!" I scream. I turn to my right and gaze up at my mother with tears in my eyes. All she says is "shih.'' There is this deep, cold look in her eyes. She turns and looks right in front of me, at the old woman who is hurting me. My mother is holding me down; with two other women, she is pinning my hands, arms and legs to the floor.

For the first time, I get a peek at what is happening. The old woman picks up a pair of scissors and begins using them on me. Panic consumes me and my insides feel tight. The surge of pain through my spine sends my head back to the floor. I scream so hard that I can feel the hair on the back of my neck rise. My eyes are bulging. I start sweating heavily and turn from left to right screaming "Stop!"

I look around for a face of hope but there is none. All the windows are closed and the curtains are down. I know it is over when my mother's face lights up with relief. I try to stand up but my legs freeze. The two other women help me. I see blood on the piece of cloth that I was lying on. A lot of blood; it is disturbing. I am 7 years old.

Among those who practice it, female circumcision (also known as female genital mutilation or FGM) is a highly valued ritual in which all or part of the female genitals are removed. Its purpose is to mark the transition from childhood to womanhood, but its origin is unclear; opponents say FGM is strictly a cultural practice, but most of those who engage in FGM insist that it is a religious ritual mandated by Muslim law.

According to the United Nations, FGM is found extensively in Africa --- in Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan, Mali, Mauritania and Niger --- and in some other parts of the world. The age and time at which FGM takes place differs from community to community. According to UNICEF, an estimated two million girls around the world, mostly in Africa, are at risk of undergoing FGM every year.

At 16 now, I recall everything that happened. I remember after the procedure, my legs were bound together for 40 days. For nine years nobody in my community discussed this ritual, certainly not my family. This is apparently common among most of the teenage girls that I know. "I am not happy at all for what happened to me,'' says Halima Abukara, a 15-year-old Somali who underwent the procedure at 6 years old. "My mother never talked to me about it, so I didn't bother to ask her.''

It is only now that we question this practice and why it was done to us. "Female circumcision was first done to prevent premarital sex, to ensure the girl's virginity until marriage,'' says Fadhumo Abdikarim, 30, a Somali woman who, like me, had her procedure at 7. ''It is true that the ritual has worked so far and the girls have not had sex before marriage. It will be bad if the girl does otherwise and her stitches come out. She will bring shame upon her tribe."

Abdikarim told me that she would never put her three daughters through that pain, and it pleased me. I wondered why my mother never thought of that.

Not every mother is like Fadhumo, though. Ferus Hassan, 16, never went through the procedure. Her mother asked her to submit to it recently but Ferus said no. "She claims that I have no choice and doesn't like me talking to her about it. I don't want to get it cut. The stories that I have heard about the procedure from my friends are horrible,'' she said. She got that right.

According to the FGM Education and Networking Project, FGM has long-term physiological, sexual and psychological effects. The unsanitary conditions under which FGM takes place result in infections of the genital and surrounding areas and often result in the transmission of HIV. Ironically the Somali people believe the procedure makes the girl culturally and socially acceptable.

The ''instruments'' the midwives use could include scissors, razors, knives or even broken glass. These items usually are not sterilized before or after and are often used to operate on several other girls. That could explain my own health issues. At 13, I developed urinary problems. It was the worst experience of my life. Even my mother, who held me down during the procedure, could not help me get through this. Every time I felt like urinating, I just wished that the earth would swallow me alive instead of experiencing the pain that came along with it.

I wonder why my mother would put me through such pain and risk and terror. I was only 7. How could she be sure at that time that I would have sex before marriage? I didn't even have the right to defend myself and say NO. I had no idea what they were doing to me.

I will eventually find a way through this and accept the fact that I was too small to do anything about it. But it will be hard for me to forgive my mother for the experience that she put me through. She still thinks that it was for my own good. She considers this practice a way to ensure that her daughter is safe. The hardest thing is that she knew how painful it was because she went through it too, but never warned me. I will always love her, but this has caused a space between us.

I wish I had the power to prevent any other 7-year-old girls from getting circumcised. It is not what God wants, but what man wants. Changing what God gave me was not their right. My privacy was invaded that afternoon, and it still haunts me to this day. I am not going to wrap myself in self-pity. Instead, I will fight. Sharing my story is difficult, but it is an important step toward my healing.

Ayan Hussein is a rising junior at Clarkston High School. Born in Somalia, she grew up in Mombasa, Kenya, and she and her sister immigrated to the United States two years ago to join their father in Clarkston. Her mother and three of her siblings still reside in Kenya. Ayan is a writer for VOX, an independent citywide newspaper by and for teens.

This rite is wrong!

The funny news of the day!

You have really disappointed me Stoic. What are you grinning on about? You think horribly mutilating an innocent little child is funny? You find this article and its contents amusing? Perhaps even entertaining? Reading that, I am so angry and disgusted that I can hardly think.

P.S. I bet if it was you going under the knife with some demented old hag you wouldnt find a reason to smile. Heartless & Cold.

STOIC   

Femme Fatale, wallal i had no intention of making fun of the little girl experience.The only reason i posted the article on this section is because i don't entertain the idea of opening a new thread on every piece of news i came across the web. It is a bit off my character on posting such an exigent matter under a ridiculous thread meant for funny news.Before i posted the piece on this section i had to make a split decision whether to post it here or open a new thread.Since we have already exhausted such topic many times i opted to post it here.If you may look at my record on FGM you will realise that i deprecate such a cruel tradition.If i offended you will you be kind to forgive my sincere penitence?.

PS: If five people say remove this piece from this thread i will remove it!

Pujah.   

^^ walaahi this is not funny infact it brings unfavourable memory and i understand that was not your intention lakini would you be kind enough to remove it?

Arent you two over-reacting? Stoic, miskiinimo ayaa lagugu bartey :D

Stoic's news has ceased to be funny after the 2nd page. Its now just a selection of his choice articles for that day...innit mate?

Nonetheless, that was an uncomfortable read but a reality.

Stoic,

I'm glad that you don't feel that way, although I still think it should be removed. I hate seeing it beside those other 'so-called' news. Something as serious as this shouldn't be anywhere near that kind of trash.

Seven,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: One can never over-react. And stoic isn't a miskiin...he's a gentleman. Something your not familiar with I suppose. :D

STOIC   

7 of Nine aka Kleidoscope...thank you for noticing that!.My news is no more chained to the shackles of humor.I have stopped posting funny news because some of the news out there are crudely indecent(like the horse story Faraxn posted-do you beleive that i saw that news and opted not to post it on SOL?).I responded to Femme Fatale to asseverate my honest intentions.I understand their disaproval of posting such news on this thread.I will be a hypocrite if i say i didn't even deign to give it a second thought when i was posting it here.Its okay for the girls to expostulate with me about this matter.Let them reason earnestly with me about my actions.Seven how about if we change the thread name ha? or shall i endure this stoically? :D ?

I'm sorry ladies. I still fail to see anything remotely offensive about the story.

Stoic, if changing the title eases the pain Femme n Puke feel...why not? icon_razz.gif

FatB   

oooh whimps that is what i say to all of u.

big deal i mean every male who is a muslim is obliged to circomsise, and believe me. i was circomsised in somalia when i was 7.5 years of age. and i tell u that ever man in somlia i granentee u was cirmonsised with out anistetics or pain relieve. and yes it hurts but get OVER IT....FGM they say what about MGF (loool)