Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Health Watch: what is depression?

Sorry if I sounded too crude but I felt the Qur'aan was accused of triggering depression...

I don't know what it triggers, but I have seen people oo as Somalis would say, Diinta ku waasha, deeply devout people that loses touch with reality. I guess complete devotion to one particular thing could be detrimental to your over general feeling.

Sal/Cal Akhi Hizb,

Any Muslim ( or any being for that matter ) needs to read 'Don't Be Sad' by Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni .. an excellent book for any occasion, whether feeling stressed or satified with your life.

Definitively, the original version is in Arabic and it covers some Qur'aanic Aayaats dealing most eloquently with Human Psychology by our creator himself; and that is why Arabic is sine-qua-none for learning about this subject beyond Western theories and gross approximations which reinvent the wheels...

people oo as Somalis would say, Diinta ku waasha, deeply devout people that loses touch with reality. I guess complete devotion to one particular thing could be detrimental to your over general feeling.

Ignorance should be blamed when we get unnecessarily overzealous on minor points beyond what is prescribed and to the extent we neglect the "Big Picture"; this is also the case when learning any new subject academically (an experienced doctor and a layman will have very different perspectives on health isuues for instance), or more generally in everyday Life, especially with Somalis.

All is about priorities, balance and focus; thus, the need to learn more about Deen as to become more self-confident.

Che, what do you mean by complete devotion?

Is there a possibility of a half-devotion without being incoherent?

You may note that my theorie is that "self-incoherence" (lack of clear priorities to which the rest is subordinate, contradicting objectives ect) is the root cause of depression, stress...

Cara.   

Originally posted by Djib-Somali:

You may note that my theorie is that "self-incoherence" (lack of clear priorities to which the rest is subordinate, contradicting objectives ect) is the root cause of depression, stress...

Well, this is the point where your views are merely those of a layman. A psychiatrist wouldn't put clinical depression in the same category as stress, for one thing.

Clinical depression has an indisputably biological basis. We may not understand all the factors that can lead to depression, but then we don't understand all the factors that lead to type 1 diabetes, or rheumatism, or multiple scelerosis. It would be absurd to then dismiss possible physiological processes that the sufferer is not in control of. Likewise depression has nothing to do with lacking clear priorities, saaxiib.

Perhaps a little less theorizing and a little more humbleness is in order.

hodman   

Amazing how a lot of “enlightened” and educated people choose to ignore something as real as depression. It is becoming increasingly common among Somali people yet many of us pretend it does not exist or worse yet label the people who are suffering from it as deficient or lacking in faith.

RedSea   

^no walaal,let us not get carried away,depression does happen,but the best treatment is the Quran to put it that way.