Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

A limit to submission( SOmali Documentary 1980)

Baashi   

^Awoowe waa wiil qadiyadiisu meel sare gaarsiisan tahay. Allah yaa cizak. Waa raggii duntoodu fiicnayd ee asalka ahaa.

Good program. Hats off to the producer and the narrator.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Seekknowledge:

So now is a fight against colonial power. I wonder what was the fight about the previous 17 years :confused:

seems somalis perfected selected memories.
:D

1980: that would be 28 years ago!

Jacpher   

^Geelka: Link it here please.

Nicely done Bartamaha.

I've heard Hussein Tanzania many times. It was good to finally watch him. Kudos for great documentary.

Any books by Hussein TZ? Anyone knows where he lives now and his take on tragic death of Soomaaliweyn and the country's nearly quarter century old internal conflict?

Haneefah   

^Probably in Tanzania dissociating himself from the current somalinimo.

I was watching it few nights ago with mom; quite a nostalgic documentary.

STOIC   

Jimacale,

Hussein Tanzania lives in Boston now where he teaches at the college of Holy Cross. I personally met his children who live here in the USA. He was born and raised in Tanzania, but educated at Princeton and Harvard. He is a political Scientist who does a commendable job of presenting the Somali issue in a clear and concise style. You can access some of his books at the Red Sea press. I think one of his new books from Tyranny to Anarchy can be found on Red Sea press website.

I personally remember my dad telling me and my brothers to follow the footsteps of this guy from early age, one of the first Somali from East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) getting a PHD from one of the respected University in the world.I've never met the guy, but I knew about his history before I came to America .

PS Damn I can't aceess the Youtube from work!

Jacpher   

^Thanks for that info STOIC. Red Sea Press page was a bit of work but I bookmarked it.

Thanks to Bartamaha, they youtubed

Emperor   

Excellent documentary, Hussein is one of the few Somalis with pure blood... Abu amd Jimmy thanks for the first and second part.

NASSIR   

A good documentary but I would say it carries the fervor of ethnic natinoalism.

A country like Somalia, even in its best days could not bear the cost or pool resources for this cause.

I laughed at the fishing nomads chanting songs of camels. This was one of economic development of back then, introducing the nomads this precious untapped resource base: coastal fishery.

Paragon   

This has to be one of the best Somali documentaries ever made. Hebel Tanzania, as he was called, was active not long ago in Somali politics. I think I heard him on the BBC several years ago.

PS: I watched this docu sometime ago, and what horrified me was how the Soviets executed Somali babies. Throwing them into the air and shooting them - waxashnimo intaa la eg!