Sign in to follow this  
Maxaatiri

Where Is The Apology For Slavery and Colonisation?

Gordon Brown has apologised for sending white child migrants for indentured labour to British colonies, but his predecessor has in the past outright refused to apologise for the African Holocaust (Trans Atlantic Slavery) and colonisation. What is wrong with this picture? Fanon was right when he asserted that the West is built on many things, but their ideology is narcissism as narcissism lies in the heart of dominance. What is more narcissistic than apologising only to those who look like you and have completed their intended role of creating the ultimate ideal settler colonies which the West are now freely able to claim?

Where are the apologies for the Zimbabweans robbed of their land? The 'Aboriginal' Australians? The American 'Indians' etc? Moreover, where is the anger from colonised and enslaved peoples?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8531945.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/20/forced-migrant-australia-brown-apology

apology my **** ,,,,,,,,,

I have a problem with someone and there is no other solution than cleaning him from the existence ... I took my gun and shot him on the head ,,, well, he is gone and i can resume my whatever he was blocking from me ,,,, later on i simply went to the family and said loudly "I apologize the crime. I shouldn't to that" ,,, i then left to continue my stuff ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does it help ?? :D

Tony Blair did not apologise for slavery, he paid it lip service, and not even very well, journalists had to ask whether or not it can even be classed as an official apology. Loosely expressing regret, but not doing anything about it is not an apology.

Jaceylbaro - You are right, on its own an apology means nothing, but accepting that it was a 'holocaust' leads to people asking for reparations (not always financial ofcourse, perhaps structural) but that wont happen yet because that means losing power in Africa and its diaspora. Im angered as to why more isnt being done to hold the West accountable for the indignities of slavery and colonisation. It must be taken by force from them, and they must be held accountable. They are still reaping the rewards from slavery, heck, their entire ideology and economies (imperialism and capitalism) were in large part built (literally)on the backs of other people.

Im disgusted, sickened and angered (Im not using hyperbole loosely here)that they are allowed to be so bloody selective in their morality. The issue of race is being twisted for electoral purposes, so that the smarter, more selective and yet still racist parties can win more seats from groups like the BNP in Britain and the One Nation party in Australia. This is the perfect time for questions to be asked if only people wernt stigmatised for using 'race' in an argument, when race is now part of the issue.

Khayr   

Im disgusted, sickened and angered (Im not using hyperbole loosely here)that they are allowed to be so bloody selective in their morality.

It is selective because they the victors and history is written from the prespective of the victors. Colonialism still exists albeit not the same blatant extent as in the past. Its just that the conquered have accepted it as a normality.

Khayr   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Apology ma qof bey wax u taraysa? Compensation, maybe.. laakin apology is just patronizing in a civil guise.

If compensation was to be given, would you get in line to claim it?

Khary, horta su'aalo xumidaa saaxiib? I, my parents, my grandparents or my ancestors were not enslaved. But if there is anyone reeling from the effects of bad government policies in the past (e.g. the stolen generation in Australia, black Americans, South Africans, Zimbabweans and many other parts of Africa, etc etc), I think they are entitled to some compensation. Of course, whether this actually can be achieved on every front is another matter!

The words of overfed Politicians is not all that neccessary. Slavery,human trafficking, genocide, land-stealing, and other horrible acts are all happening still in this day and age. Marka, what does apology mean to those who are still suffering as the rich and powerful get more richer and powerful. I think apologizing for slavery is a joke! No, I will take it a step further and say it is an INSULT to the decendents of slaves.

B   

I am of the belief that colonialism was a actually a positive thing. it led to globalisation which in turn led to the world we live today. slavery is altogether a different matter - it has occurred through out the history of the world.