Sign in to follow this  
Curly

A Disgraced Nation

Curly   

Point taken, however that’s not what I was talking about earlier, it’s how people see the Somali people from here on out, I know we’re not a corrupt nation, but in this world that’s purely not enough. We’re a minority and whether we chose to or not anything bad one Somali does will reflect on another Somali poorly.

king_450   

Saying Minority, plz don't accept what you been preached daily, in God's eye, you are not a minority but complete person,but Sue if you keep obeying anything & everything you hear from TV's or your fellow corrupt minded human being, then you definetely at loss. How can we help you raise your morale and your dignity?

Xalimo7   

Hi king i didn't notice u still around, at any case i think the point the lady making wasn't about the true meaning of minoritish,but the way us being perceived ,you know Colored individuals,.

well bro good seeing you..

see u dude

Blessed   

Calm down folks.. just because we have one retard that goes around infecting people and a few durr-brained journalists (Dialy Mirror folks) doesn't make us disgraced nor should does it make me feel any different towards Somalis and Somalinimo!

Look on the bright side though, in this weeks voice theres this artcile on black models, which is a load of blah, blah, blah really. But, the lovely Iman is featured looking all glam and on another Magazine theres an article on Rageh Omar - apparently he got this huge deal and is one of the most succesful (and richest) journalists in the UK - so we are making news - and I suppose those twarts in the Daily Mail can't do much in killing our image - everyone knows their trash icon_razz.gif

Paragon   

If you ask me about this fellow, I'd say he is a Somali hero. Ask me and I shall tell you the benefits of this news and why we need more heros like him.

Paragon   

The point is to use this case as a strategy to maintain our cultural purity, by creating deterrents that impact heavily on possible cross-race relationships. If occurrences like these pass beyond the stage of coincidence presumption, then it becomes inevitable for a new truth to be established as a result. That truth being a fear that dances in the minds of non-Somalis, in their belief that anything that associates with the name "Somali" is potentially contagious. And in turn prompt the reaction of refraining from relationships that involves any Somali. If that fear is successfully put in place, then it means there would be less Somalis that are involved with non-Somalis, which will preserve the purity of the Somali community as whole.

smile.gif

That is an interesting theory Jamaal, but it doesn't hold water.

If fear of contracting AIDS could stop ppl from having unprotected sex or sex at all, there wouldn't be a world epidemic on our hands, and Africa wouldn't be so severely affected.

Inter-racial relationships are not a problem unto themselves, carelessness and promiscuity is the problem. It is up to the individual to protect themselves...especially if they are sleeping around, because let us face it, a Somali is just as likely to be infected by another Somali as any other community or race.

On a more interesting note, I don't think any such concept as 'cultural purity' exists, moreover, even if it did, it would be a very difficult state to maintain because neither culture nor people are fixed, they are ever-changing, ever-evolving, and ever-adapting, therefore protecting something as ambiguous as 'cultural purity' would be next to impossible, particularly if your method of retaining 'purity' depends on outside factors (i.e. other races perceptions of us).

The only way to fight the spread of Aids among the Somali community, in my view, is to remove the stigma attached to talking about AIDS, to get rid of all the wierd myths surrounding the illness, to raise awareness and educate the masses about the FACTS- both preventative and curative and to leave out the fiction which many ppl hold to be true.

Anybody can contract the disease, regardless of race, religion, creed, sexual orientation or culture. If you have any form of unprotected sex, there's always the risk of infection, regardless of who you've had it with. Even married couples are not that safe unless you can be 100% sure that your spouse never strayed. Something which you can never be sure because you can't ever know everything someone gets up to.

Of course it helps when the ppl you are dealing with are Muslims, for should they follow the religion rigidly, they should be safe enough. However, Muslims are humans also, and they are not always pious or morally strict, therefore, even being with a Muslim doesn't offer that much protection.

In conclusion, Somalis are not automatically protected from getting AIDS, just because we are Somali. We are not that different to anybody else. In fact we are in a more vulnerable position because we don't believe it could happen to any of us. It can and It does. We really can't afford to keep our heads buried in the sand. Not in this day and age and not if we want to ensure our survival as a race.

Jamaal....Wow...wat are yu purist nut.....lol.

Soon yu will calling for the creation of the somali version of SS WAFFEN to guard the purity of the somali race....lol....just kidding.

Seriously though, the infusion of foriegn blood into any nation is positive thing. It helps in the survival of the human race.Just think, somalis marry across tribe lines. What if every person married from his/her own tribe. This would be unhealthy in terms of genetic evolution. The fact that we marry across tribe affiliations is a good thing. I don't think pumping some foriegn into our gene pool will hurt anything. :D:D

^^ Agree with U. Dont really beleive in limiting one's self to just their territory. You're likely to learn more and experience life on a greater scale. Provided there is some fundamental similarities - WHY NOT.

Paragon   

Bee said my theory.." ... is an interesting theory but it doesn't hold water." But how is that so?

Princess ;) , Don't you believe it is practicable to maintain a cultural purity by means of positive community seclusion? A careful balance and measure of integration and seclusion will work miracles on tackling the problems of the straying few.

However to arrive at that result, I still do think fear should be the right tool of facilitating a change in the general mindset of the wider society. After all fear is the ultimate factor that prompts the most peculiar reaction in one's mind.

Fear in Africa and fear in developed nations are too different entities. In our beloved Africa fear has become the norm and so people's atitude towards it varies from those who dwell in developed countries where many hearts pound faster when fear factor is put in place. Shock tactics of advertisement and notice had yielded much fruit in achieving the intended aim.

....to be continued...

brb

Curly   

Bee well said luv, you raised some very interesting points, that I believe some people did not take note of.

I’m not a big fan of cultural purity myself, I believe it will merely stunt the growth of the human race, it’s not as though we’re not exactly pure ourselves…(isn’t that like the pot calling the kettle black?)

Somali people do need to become more aware of the growing risk of contracting HIV, we’re not invincible just because the majority of us are “so called” god fearing Muslims.

Oddly enough there is actually a Somali community centred around HIV awareness set up in London, the man that set up community is a long time HIV suffer. However due the huge stigma around HIV the community isn’t doing to well at all. Somalis are afraid of admitting they are suffers even though the NHS has diagnosed a huge and ever-growing number of Somalis HIV positive in London itself.

Can you afford to be that proud?

King450 I think there is a lack of understanding between us, please try and understand I do not blindly follow the British media, however where there’s smoke there's most likely fire. Whether it’s one Somali man for a thousand I don’t believe it makes it sound any less bad than it already is, and my dignity is balanced I’m just not letting pride blind me.

Paragon   

Ok I am back, so let me finish what I was saying.

If my comments are read carefully, then, it becomes noticeable that my propositions are not concerned with AIDS or the curbing of any other stigmatic disease! Right now, my interest isn't to discuss taboos and stigmas, however, what interests much is the maintenance of the external and cultural boundaries that exits between cultures.

When I use the word "us", I use it to mean, 'us Somalis' and other Muslim cultures that resemble our own culture', who struggle to ensure their off springs don't loose truck with their original culture and religious values. This are my goals and so I wont hesitate use any tactic to achieve them. What I cannot clearly follow is when people protest against cultural purity!

• What do they mean?
  • What more cultural diversity does one need to diversify his own, when s/he has many Muslim cultures to choose from?
  • Or must some of us advocate for the diversification of our culture/s by mixing them with non-Islamic ones?
  • Or is that a fashionable process to under-go? I guess so!
PS: Majority of those who contract AIDS get infected through sexual intercourse, especially sexual activities that take place outside wedlock. So lets face it and teach our community members of self-restraint and self-respect.