Sign in to follow this  
Curly

A Disgraced Nation

yeah I'd have to agree with the sentiments already expressed in the above responses. Am not shockd, just sadned to here the story am more concerened for his wife and 3 Children and the health.

I also do agreewith you sue in that it seems that we (somali's) have been appearing all to oftenly in the news (propotionaetly speaking) than other ethinic groups. There are many M. Dica's out there who are from many backgrounds and nationality. I guess if anything this story tells me is, or rather confirms to me, is that we as somali's are just as corrupt, and purpetrate as incedious and Henious of crimes as any nationailty does.

The story made the front page of yesterday's Daily Mail aka Daily Trash.

The guy has been convicted but not yet sentenced. How long is long enough? A man in his mid-30s, married with kids, spreading HIV willy-nilly(pardon the pun). Akh. Makes u sick. Can u imagine what his wife(ex-wife surely?) has been going through? And his children..doesn't bare thinking about.

He told the women he was a lawyer/company director and could speak 10 languages. He actively encouraged one woman to start a family with him. And the whole time he knew he was HIV +; he'd known since 1995.

Disgusting. Still, the media can't resist mention of 'refugee' and 'Somalian'. Like that's relevant. Like there's a specific strain of the HIV virus that's spread by Somali refugees.

Page 3 was titled:

"Victim speaks out after Somalian is convicted of infecting her with HIV".

The guy's safer in jail. Plenty who know him will want his blood(on second thoughts..). Jail won't be so bad by comparison. He can practise his 10 languages with the minorites that disproportionately fill the jails. Also, he'll be one of the few inmates who won't have to worry about jail rape.

His final judgement is with Allah. As is all of ours. It might give him time to reflect.

The British tabloids are the world's worst. Dirt and misinformation and s**t-stirring is their calling. I've found articles on Somalis within their pages before. You would think we were vermin infesting whole neighbourhoods, the way they tell it.

Either way, nobody ever speaks up. What do the representatives of the many "Community Centres" do about our misrepresentation in the media? Somalis are a sharp-mouthed people. Isn't ours a verbal culture? Doesn't history, legend, hate and love get passed via word of mouth?

How hard is it for someone who represents us to speak out? When the media comes knocking to follow up a story, do community centres lock their bl**dy doors?

Individually, there is much we can do. When a story breaks, we can write to newspaper editors, contribute to forums on news sites and call talk radio stations.

The media is talk-talk-talking about us and we're belly-aching and simpering. I've had it. The next time I come across something, inshallah, I will act. When the issues get highlighted on these forums, we should come up with practical ways to get our voice heard- petitions, emails, demonstartions if need be. Ain't no use talking amongst ourselves. Down right schizophrenic.

Here's to a more pro-active community..God bless us.

Paragon   

By Sue: But that’s not the way to deal with it, you can’t just bury your head in the sand and just hope it all blows over, because it won’t. I’m not exactly sure how we as whole can make a difference and I’m sure it won’t be overnight. But I'm going change the way I see other Somalis and embrace my culture and people, instead of pushing them away like i've done so in the past.

Sue, that would be the nicest act a Somali can do.

----

He who has the strongest tradition has the strongest religion.

OG Moti   

The man is an English not somali, beside it doesnt matter who he is, he infected people out heartless thinking and he deserves whatever he gets, beside the desease has no nationality it is killing everyone and it is getting closer and closer to normal people, not only people with bad habits... the only thing disturbs me is his name, Mohamed ... that makes me feel a bit bad... why people with that beautiful name mostly turn to losers .. giving bad name to our Prophet P.B.U.H, either way the man did what he did and it has nothing to do with him being somali, Allaha ha hanuuniyo koleyba haduu hanuuno xataa wali danbiguu galay ma yara, oo ah bani aadan dil... he basically killed them ... Allaha na hanuuniyo kuligeen peace

Curly   

Aww thanks people, but that doesn't mean I still can't be rude to you lot...right?!

I just meant the somali people I meet in the "Real world" lol :D

Oh and King_450, what’s with the “Sue I am touched by your self centred response”

Why was it self-centred?

And as for the stuff about how this man was 1 out of 20,000,000 people…that still doesn’t change anything, we’re Muslims and should represent Islam in the best way possible, for goodness sake the guy was called Mohammed (what more do you want?).

We can’t just go around living our lives anyway we like, all for the sake of individuality…that’s against everything we stand for as a religion and as a nation. Gaal’s live their lives thinking they have freedom, but that’s totally misleading, no one is free in this world. Some how or another we’re all subjected to some sort of law or enforcement by Gaal’s, whether it’s youth culture or the legal system.

So don’t delude yourself into thinking that what you do doesn’t affect the next Somali person, because it does, whether you like it or not.

Call me paranoid or whatever but I’ve already noticed how people look at me differently when I’m on the tube and of course they would when they’ve got a bloody “Metro” or a “Daily Mail” in their hands.

Where not like Caadan people, as big as 20,000,000 sounds, it’s not... we’re a minority and that’s all the more reason for why we’re noticed, so whatever one Somali person does will be reflect on another.

The only time I want to see a Somali in the news headlines is when it’s for a good reason!

Oh and before I forget, we have actually done a petition for the article about "Somali's eating donkeys" it was done via e-mail if any one wants to write their name on it send me a PM.

iNoSeNsE   

Every nation has its grimy ppl and unfortunately Somali’s are in the spotlight lately... I wouldn’t say the Somali’s reputation is being dragged through the gutter.. He might be Somali but he sure don’t represent the Somali nation so screw him(ooops!!! Maybe not) .. I cant believe he was brave enuff and ugly enuff too swing he’s infected jimmy around and expect to get away with it…

Name him and shame him I say!

Khayr   

We can’t just go around living our lives anyway we like, all for the sake of individuality…that’s against everything we stand for as a religion and as a nation. Gaal’s live their lives thinking they have freedom, but that’s totally misleading, no one is free in this world. Some how or another we’re all subjected to some sort of law or enforcement

Words of Wisdom.....

So don’t delude yourself into thinking that what you do doesn’t affect the next Somali person, because it does, whether you like it or not.

I definitely agree

There's me talking about misrepresentation and attributing the quote to the Daily Mail when it came form the Evening Standard! Same difference?My mistake.

A few bad apples will not rot the whole community. But we must be vigilant. Community responsibility comes from individual responsibility.

Curly   

:confused: to the person who thinks a few apples can't rot a whole community...sorry luv but you've got the saying mixed up, the saying actually arrive from an observation so I suggest you try leaving a few bad apples in a barrel with good ones and see what happens. :D

I wasn't using the 'saying' u refer to. It doesn't matter what a 'saying' says anyway- there's a saying to justify everything.

I was referring to people as fruits metaphorically. Human beings have the ability to choose whether they get rotten by close contact with those with destructive habits. The choice to avoid,influence or keep in check the rogue element amongst us.

A small, corrupt minority will not make the majority corrupt. But it is the duty of the majority to be vigilant and keep immoral disease from spreading.