Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

The word Thank You

STOIC   

The subject of manners can injure feelings or cause misunderstandings. One doesn’t need an anthropologist to tell him/her that if he was done a favor by a co-worker he should thank the co-worker who happened to help him/her. The word “thank you†is a frame for reference of all that is good. The word is unwritten law of all mankind to show courtesy! Lately I have often found myself to want to coach some thoughtless individuals about the importance of being appreciative when Stoic helps him/her to accomplish to meet an end of the month deadline. To get a vivid idea of my rant, picture yourself being “Mr/Mrs nice†helping co-workers meet their monthly goals. And then to the surprise of it all, the person won’t acknowledge or even say thank you! It is an insult for the person to not acknowledge your effort.

Values are an important part of human experience. Value laden relationship legitimizes your actions. During the past few months I have been working temporarily in company X. I have been given the responsibility of helping two people meet their goals. I will call them Jason and Susan. I tend to pay special attention to individual reactions closely without saying much. I stay mentally alert though. I have lately recognized the power of the word “Thank Youâ€. Whenever I help Jason I always get the services of the word. But things are different when I help Susan. She is too demanding and unappreciative fishwife!

I have decided to place myself as Mr. Manners around the cubicle. To set standards that will create acceptable values around me I have decided to teach Susan a lesson! I pondered on the thought for weeks while I was minding my business around the laboratory. I become a proactive focuser of what will happen if I say “Thank You†every time I handed a report to Susan. She will realize how my replies will break one of the exactions of the taste of the word. Now every time I email her or hand over a report I say the word "thank you" until she now jumps before me with a limpid eye and a mouth gasping with a quick "thank you"! Few of us realize the importance of the word. Before the day is over look over to your side and say "thank you" to your wife/husband/ children whenever they hand you that remote control.

RedSea   

JAZAKALAHU KHAYRAN has far more importance than simple "thank you"--- well unless the intended person in non Muslim, then thank you will do.

Cara.   

Then I ought to be gracious and say Thank you, Stoic. Your insightful words are always a pleasure to read.

Rose   

Reminds me of a saying of Rasulullah, salatu wasalam (my own words)''whoever does not thank people, does not thank Allah''--if anyone has the exact hadith please post it.

So yeah we should help another(Muslim)for the sake of Allah and not for the sake of his/her 'Thank You'

For the non-muslim, we should help for it gives a good impression of the character of a Muslim-which is also for the sake of Allah and Islam.

Nephissa   

One day, I was on the bus. I was the only one standing and this very nice gentleman, probably late 30's offered me his seat. I was stunned, because that never happens! I thanked him and declined the seat. I sit at a desk all day, I could handle standing on the bus for 30 minutes. But it was such a nice thing to do.

Anyway, I think that there's something seriously wrong with people who don't know those basic words - please, thank you, excuse me, sorry... etc. Man if I didn't say those words even now my mom would come running out of nowhere and whack me.

Thank you Stoic and SOLers for evevrything I have been reading here (cept the garbage.)