Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

Should This Be the Last Generation?

NGONGE   

^^ Not going in circles at all.

1) Tooba and the reform of one's character go hand in hand or else the tooba itself is not real.

2) People throughout history have banded behind an idea (tooba could easily be one). The ICU was one (the failures of the admin do not negate the efforts of the populace at the time).

3) But it can and it did. It only takes a few to peddle the idea and a few to follow it before it becomes an avalanche of "my beard is longer than yours". Wax fahan.

4) Stop playing with your beads. Trauma is a norm in this instance. We are not talking about the privileged people of Cornwall being attacked by a mad taxi driver.

5) And I am not rejecting that. I reject your argument that people over a certain age cannot be rehabilitated unless done through some elaborate and expensive western system.

Ibtisam   

1) Tooba is only for things that wrong in Islam, i.e. crimes/ sins in Islam. Islamic character reform does not change people personalities or mental issues.

2) Your second point cannot work in Somalia or in society for that matter, Allah ha loo tobad keeno much like the ICU does not result to a long system of governance, it might prevent a few fights, but it still needs a system that governs it, shira, law whatever that system is for the long term.

3) My beard is longer than yours is the kind of understand which makes the idea of tooba working as a system flawed, peoples understanding of Islam is weak in Somalia (not to mention different) and they are forced to pick between beards who again follow others somewhere else.

4)If you agree with me that young people in Somali born into the conflict are psychological damage and traumatized then why are you even arguing with me?

5) It does not need to be expensive or elaborate but it is certainly longer than a child needs and yes it needs and takes time, your quick fix of tooba in reality works in short doses and term, unless it is accompanied by progressive education and support system.

NGONGE   

^^ You need peace, you mad hippy. Everything else falls into place after that. And, no, I do not agree on the psychological damage or trauma point. It is why I brought the taxi driver example. Can you be trumatised when war is all you have known?

Your idea is good but your method and explanation are as raw as a newly employed NGO. icon_razz.gif

Ibtisam   

Yes, you can be traumatise if all you have known is war you hardheaded freak! Your vision of the world is distorted and you might even see "peace" as a threat to your interest- which is a form of psycological damage.

I think your reason and arguments are as raw and underdeveloped as the ICU and the shabab, waali is not needed, planning is. icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

I think the professor and all of those who agree with him shoud not only stop reproducing but also jump of the nearest bridge. What this world needs is less cynics.

NGONGE   

Planning is indeed needed, Ibti. But certainly not by you. You'll condemn all people of a certain age and sift through the society to pick out the good and bad like you would sift through an apple basket. Wax fahan.

If a child is likely to have a life full of pain and suffering is that a reason against bringing the child into existence?

If a child is likely to have a happy, healthy life, is that a reason for bringing the child into existence?

Is life worth living, for most people in developed nations today?

Is a world with people in it better than a world with no sentient beings at all?

Would it be wrong for us all to agree not to have children, so that we would be the last generation on Earth?

Ok. Lets walk through this argument. First of all, the probability of a child having a "hard" life is not certain. Even if both parents have a debilitating disease or mental defect, the chances of that kid inheriting the disease might be higher but no one can say for certain the child will be born with the disease. Other circumstances such poverty and lack of resources are trivial because we all know the only constant thing in life is change. You never know who this child might grow up to become. History is full of people from dire situations who made tremendous gains. So NO not being able to guarantee a successful life is not a reason to sterilize yourself.

To your second question, most people don’t have children because their children will have a happy life. They have children because they have a need for a family. They want to nurture and take care of another human being. They want to leave their name behind since they wont be here forever.

Life is worth living for most. It is absolutely the most precious thing in the world! And that’s why we are so obsessed preserving it, improving it, prolonging it and we are in awe of the miracle of it.

I think it is absolutely silly to entertain or suggest a world with no people since you and I wont exist and wont be able to define what “better” means.

Your last question was a bit tough because I’m tempted to go the religion route but I wont. First of all, what is the need for becoming the last generation on earth? What are the motivations? Why we wouldn’t want to continue the way we lived for millions of years?

On a side note, I agree - Children of Men is brilliant. And not only because I am mad about Clive Owen.

As for the topic, blah! Go forth and propogate, as they say.

Chimera   

There are roughly 30 000 militia men in Southern Somalia out of a male population of 1.5 million+ aged between 10-35, the former group of lost souls could easily be integrated by a stable government since they only form a small part of the male demographic, but due to their violent occupation their mark is more apparant than the countless students, workers, teachers, and men from other walks of life who also grew up in this same war, yet strive to better themselves and their communities.

Champions march forward.