Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Literature Quiz

STOIC   

A friend of mine from college who was into literature stuff has often quizzed my literature IQ through email. I must admit that I have lately developed the hobby of reading more literature novels. I never had the chance to read literature text in college due to my science background load. I would like to share with you guys some of the questions he used to ask me. This is how this quiz will work. If you answer most of the questions, I will donate one literature textbook to any charity organization of your choice ;) .

1. What family was depicted in John Steinbeck monumental novel about the plight of dust bowl?

2. Who wrote the satirical collections of stories about New York called the four million?

3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is to Sherlock Holmes as Dorothy L. Sawyer is to what?

4. In Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice what woman is known for her shrewd lawyerly mind

5. How many poems were published in Emily Dickinson lifetime? (she has a total of 1800 poems)

6. Which play did the British government banned due to its hint of insanity of George III

7. In the Irish legend Deirdre , the Heroine has six gift most desired by woman, can you name the six gift?

8. What was Samuel Clemens pen name?

9. Who was the author of this line “ I saw the best of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical nakedâ€

Disclaimer: The terms and conditons of the game are subject to change.I personally did not write the above quiz. I do not have the answers to some of the questions. But it will be fun if we all find out together. :cool:

PS To the cheaters; honesty is the best policy. We are all learning together

Bess.   

i knew all...i once considered a major in english lit.

1. What family was depicted in John Steinbeck monumental novel about the plight of dust bowl?

The Joads, in the Grapes of Wrath.

2. Who wrote the satirical collections of stories about New York called the four million?

William Sydney Porter, aka O. Henry.

3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is to Sherlock Holmes as Dorothy L. Sawyer is to what?

Its Dorothy L. Sayers…and its Lord Peter Wimsey

4. In Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice what woman is known for her shrewd lawyerly mind

Portia.

5. How many poems were published in Emily Dickinson lifetime? (she has a total of 1800 poems)

About ten of her poems were published in her lifetime.

6. Which play did the British government banned due to its hint of insanity of George III?

King Lear.

7. In the Irish legend Deirdre, the Heroine has six gifts most desired by woman; can you name the sixth gift?

The gift of chastity.

8. What was Samuel Clemens pen name?

Mark Twain

9. Who was the author of this line “I saw the best of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical nakedâ€

Allen Ginsberg in Howl and other poems.

J.Lee   

Loooooooool@Pilli Pilli.

@!#$%!. You don't count. You practically live and breath in B & N.

Bess.   

oh plz....like u didn't know the answers either...j.lee...I don't suffer from modesty like u do... ;)

STOIC   

Congratulation Besbeso! You are the first winner of literature quiz.You got 7 out of 8 right.Emily Dickinson did not published ten poems in her lifetime.But you got close to the number, which practically make any guess you make closer to the real answer.In one of your answer I have an objection to it.We may need an outside help since I am English litreture rookie.In the Irish legend Deidre, the heroine sixth gift is needlework.But I let you have that one until I get someone else object to it.As for now lets wait until tomorrow and see if anyone can object to that answer too. I will send one of my old literature textbook to any of your charity organization of your choice ;)

PS You better be a US local; the brother can't afford overseas shipping and handling fees :D

J.Lee   

I thought it was chastity too.

I knew some answers ina adeer but now you have motivated me to brush upon my Eng. lit.

"The heifers are bound to be fine where no bulls roam" (? I think) That has always has been my favorite line.

Bess.   

stoic i will agree with the emily dickinson poems...as there are some experts that say it was 7, some 8 and others 10. but the six gifts am sure were in this order...the six gifts of womanhood - the gift of beauty, the gift of voice, the gift of sweet speech, the gift of needlework, the gift of wisdom, and the gift of chastity...

lol..jlee....i have thought about that line and i can't place it...u have driven me to "google"... where i am sure i will prevail... smile.gif

Good quiz, however, many of us don’t really pay attention to those details when we read, I have a poor memory of the books I’ve read in high school, which included Wuthering Heights and A Dolls House, we read many more but I can’t seem to remember. Put up a quiz about political literature, then I would have no problem.

-Lily-   

1) What themes tied the Romantics together?

2) Name three of Shakespeare contemporaries?

3) In John Keats poem, The Eve of St. Agnes, what does a virgin have to do to get visions of her lover on the Eve of St. Agnes?

4) In Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, why does Victor feel guilty about the trail of Justine?

5) How many plays did Berthold Brecht write?

6) In the famous war novel 'All Quiet on the Western Front', why was the death of the Unknown Soldier & hero of the novel especially more tragic?

7) Name the title & author of the following first paragraph of this poem:

'I WONDER by my troth, what thou and I

Did, till we loved ? were we not wean'd till then ?

But suck'd on country pleasures, childishly ?

Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers' den ?

'Twas so ; but this, all pleasures fancies be ;

If ever any beauty I did see,

Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.'

8) In ‘Things Fall Apart’ what is Okonowo’s great flaw that leads to his downfall?

9) Name one famous Somali author/poet & where I can get his works from?

:D

Mowgli   

1) politics, the way they felt that society/goverment was opressing them...nature (?) or was it just william blake that was a nudist

2) Christopher Marlowe, john Fletcher & francis beaumont *unsure of spelling*

3) Go to bed without any food...cant remember ther est

6) The fact that he died when "all was quiet on the western front"...or that he died a few weeks before the war ended...he was the last one out of his friends to die?

7) Donne Good morrow *cant remember first name*

-Lily-   

^^ Very good and close Hecuba, anyone care to fill the rest in?

lol@nudist & Blake, I think that was Byron? Wasn't Blake the religious one?

It was John Donne, and The Unkown Soldier died a few days before the Nov 11 Armastice (spelling?).

Name one famous Somali author/poet & where I can get his works from?

Nurudin Farah.....n Go to amazon.com/books

I like his novel "secrets"...Touches on taboo subjects while reflecting on impending collapse of Somalia.

N He is some sort of feminist too...a "rational" feminist I might add

Tahliil   

I like his novel "secrets"...Touches on taboo subjects while reflecting on impending collapse of Somalia.

YoyO MA:

I am always interested when the word taboo is employed in any sort of discusion...taboo why? Ayan Hersi says and uses the same word when she was explaining and sellin her soul to the media and to people who could easily see throu her schemes...So now If you don't mind brother what sort of Taboo subjects does this Somali author touches on in SECRETS?