Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Hottest place on Earth

Curly   

I watched a really interesting documentary on the BBC about the Afar desert, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

According to some people, the Afar people are Somali, yet I didn't understand the language at all. I hear that the Afar desert is situated between the boarders of Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia, which is the region that Ethiopia and Somalia has been fighting over. So are they Somali?

Either way it was extremely interesting to think that there is a live volcano so close to Somali and the possibility that the horn of Africa will one day be an island. I wonder the effects this might have on the Ethiopian tourist industry and their general economy with a massive coast line.

Part of the documentary focused on the Afar people themselves and particularly the treatment of women, the reporter actually got tearful over the idea that women outside of the western world might have a different ideology when it comes to gender roles. Although I wouldn't consider myself as submissive I respect other cultures as long as it isn't unjust, but what would you call unjust?

I'm well aware that documentaries can be bias at times, however these women were in a situation where they were forced into marriage, underwent FGM and weren't allowed to voice their opinions as freely as we are. It's sad to think that Islam gave women so many rights and these Muslim women have been striped of it. What are your thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.u k/2/hi/science/natur e/7950845.stm

Dhubad.   

^^FB, you are right, The Death Valley holds the record for the highest temperature ever recorded but its not constant.

However, the Afar region in Ethiopia has the highest average annual temperature in the world and Luuq Ganaane in Somali is second.

Check this out:

The highest average annual temperature in the world, possibly a world record, is the
94°F, at Dalol (or Dallol), Ethiopia.
The station is in a salt desert and is based on only 6 years of data, October 1960–November 1966.
Lugh (or Luuq), Somalia, East Africa has an annual mean recorded temperature of 88°F.
In the United States the station normally having the highest annual average is Key West, Florida, 77.8°F; the highest summer average, Death Valley, California, 98.2°F; and the highest winter average, Key West, Florida, 70.2°F.

Source

Curly   

Hey I wasn't really debating whether or not it's really the hottest place on Earth but rather trying to grasp their ethnicity and culture.

But for arguments sake...considering the region, it's on the equator and there is an active volcano, I'd imagine it is in fact the hottest place on earth.

Fabregas   

Anfar are not SOmali, but a different tribe that is very similar to Somalis in culture and appereance. They fought in Imam AHmad Gurey's Jihad and some people say they used to reside in Somalia.

Very good programme. Loved it.

Apparently there are riches there, if a programme that I have seen on National Geo is anything to go by. Any treasure hunters?

This is serious matter.

I hear you Sue. I was only responding to your headline. And the only way i knew that death valley was hot,is because,i have a friend who likes to go there for adventure. weired?

Dhubad, oo Luuq ma sidaas beey aheed?

Originally posted by Sue:

But for arguments sake...considering the region, it's on the equator and there is an active volcano, I'd imagine it is in fact the hottest place on earth.

The equator go through six nations in Africa and they are; Somalia, Kenya, Uganda, the two Congos and Gabon. Afar depression is on the other hand located on around 10°N.

Dhubad.   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

I hear you Sue. I was only responding to your headline. And the only way i knew that death valley was hot,is because,i have a friend who likes to go there for adventure. weired?

Dhubad, oo Luuq ma sidaas beey aheed?

FB, that place is so hot but the good thing about the town is, it has huge trees everywhere planted by the previous government so there is endless shade and of course the river circles around the town which brings fresh breeze.

I believe the equator goes through that area hence why is being so hot.!

Dhubad.   

^I always thought the climate near the equator are the hottest in the world for some reason!

The temperatures in Kismaayo area is not that hot so that theory of mine is not accurate then huh....well u always learn something new.

Thanks duqa.

-Lily-   

Sue, do you think women in the West were handed their rights on a silver platter? You have to fight for what you believe is your right, even possibly die for it.

I recently watched a documentary about African tribes and 2 youngsters were married off. They did know each other, but never wanted to marry. The funny thing is that the narrator kept talking about how that culture forces young girls into this kind of marriages, aint that bias? The idea that it's only the girls that are forced or arranged into a marriage, is so over rated.

As far as climate goes, the average 88F and 94F is just cold breeze xaax. :D If it crosses over 120 mark that is worrisome.

Cara.   

Pretty amazing, the Dabbahu fissure split open in September 2005 after an earthquake, and after about a million years or so, will form an ocean that separates the Horn from the rest of Africa... somehow on that timescale it's hard to imagine what kind of tourism industry Ethiopia will have :D

051210_teruboina_hlrg.hlarge.jpg

Gheele, maybe it's because the young man can probably take another wife of his choosing at a later time, or he can get divorce with less societal disapproval, etc. Depending on how young the girl is, even getting pregnant can be a life-threatening outcome, not to mention the probable end to her educational and career goals if she had any!