Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Camelot!

Originally posted by Nur:

e-Nuri Legacy Poetry

Presents:

Camelot
( meaning : any idyllic place or period, esp. one of great happiness).

Abdi Gaheir and His Camel

Idin-bacatha awrkey dhashiyo, aarankey wadatay

Ilal ibili soo ma ayan dagteen aayadihii hora ee

Idilkoodba asaxaabtii geela wey ku intifaaceenee

Aakhirana nimaan geel laheyn lama amaaneynee

Maxaan idiin la awlaad-sadaa awr ma dhaansada eeeeee

Abdi Gaheir

2006 e-Nuri Legacy Poetry

MashaAllah, Bro Nur, Classical, you not only a theologian but a grand sage culturally, good xiin; isn't he a graad on his on right!

Abdi Gaheir was not only genius poet but was having a wicked sense of humour, he once saw two of his buddies in a tea-house in Hargeisa, one hail from berbera and the other from Awdal, he was not expecting them this time at this place. He said in his gabay:

Orgomihii Xamaas iyo kii Awadal baa yimi

Ood lagama gooyaan maxa ehelu naar jooga.

May I leave this to Graad xiin to translate; or should i try:

- xamaas is a small tuule next to berbera on your way from hargeisa.

-Awdal the region - Zaylac

- Orgome = beast in my own definition.

Though my fav poet is Salaan Carabby.they were all brilliant.

Good to see you both; Sharmarke & Sophist.

One of Abdi Ghaheyr’s literary genius was his famous, but controversial, poem, which he composed to reason with his wife in a bid to quell her strong desires for jewelry in an era where the rule of British colony reached its zenith in Somaliland. Employing superbly the art of oblique in Somali literature, he accused her that she’s craving for unattainable objects and that her wishes are unrealistic and out of reach.

But what made that poem distinctive and matchless in its style, was its artistic dual, which it contained. Why ask me jewelry when even great powers have declared bankruptcy, was its finale! The British has suffered, he said, losses that only youths and fools are unaware. And the French has long given up the channel of Suez. Those you see in our land, my dear, are the sole survivors of that defeated lot. And you ask for gold, O ina Cumar-Qadhoonle , when European powers absorbed their defeat!

Ina Cumar-Qadhoonlaay adduun qayla bixin waaye'e

Qasnadaha raggii keydsan jirey qaarbaa tuugsade'e

Ingiriisba laga qaad dhulkuu qeybta u lahaaye'e

Qoorigii Suweyba maylayaashiisu kama qamaadaane'e

Qarka wuxuu la meer-meerayaa waa rag soo qaxaye'e

Naa diyaaraduhu waa qayla doon qoorta marayaay'e

Adigaaba qalab doonayee quusay Fransiise'e :D

It was said that Abdi’s poem had angered the British administration of Hargaisa as it depicted their rule as a one whose strength is diminishing by the passing day. That prompted them to sail him to Suez channel to make him see that they are indeed in control of it.

Ducaysanow, maya walaal. Only a fool could look down Waamo people; civilized and peaceful they really are. Their land; an oasis of opulence it really is. The river, the sea, and the sheer fertility are a matchless combination, wallaahi.

But literature (siiba gabay) is not their thing, we must all concede. Don’t you agree, saaxiib?

P.S: Sharma'arkow, you are a lightyear ahead of me in this regard, saaxiib.

STOIC   

Xiin, this reminds me of a Czech proverb;"so long as the language lives the nation lives too".Even though i am not one who easilly takes hold of the perplexing and involved states of our poets poems ; i wouldn't be human if i didn't respect the profundity of their thoughts.Thanks for giving the meaning so swiftly.I need to improve my Somali language skills(No more Swahili).

PS Heck i might even use the above poem on the girl next door whenever she wants more than i can let it go :D (Shhhhh, i might give you credit)

^^A penny-pinching you must not be, good Stoic, if you truly want to settle for girls would not want to have a relationship with a tightfisted man. In the art of courting, parsimony is not a desirable quality saaxiib. Put her on your doll. Cagaha dhulka uga qaad :D . Soo xera geli gabadha. Waxay afka ukala qaadaba sii :D .

Rag waa lasoo wada dhacay :D , saaxiib.

Aakhirka waad iska heshiineysaan though.

STOIC   

Xiin, your suggestions tugged a smile on my face. The softness of her voice and the glow that lit her eyes whenever she glanced on my side strangely makes me willing to deep in my pocket. There is indomitable pride chiseled in her face and intelligence etched into every part of her face. I am so startled somewhat confident to hear from you that raag waisowathajabeen .The glamour behind every relationship(call it marriage) is jaabitaan horee heh? This assures me that I am not the only man cornered by an innocent girl/woman. It’s time to gather up my courage and take this thing to the next level saaxiib :D .

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^A penny-pinching you must not be, good Stoic, if you truly want to settle for girls would not want to have a relationship with a tightfisted man. In the art of courting, parsimony is not a desirable quality saaxiib. Put her on your doll. Cagaha dhulka uga qaad
:D
. Soo xera geli gabadha. Waxay afka ukala qaadaba sii

Rag waa lasoo wada dhacay
, saaxiib.

Aakhirka waad iska heshiineysaan though.

The chronicles of a married man indeed. :D Well said Xiin.

Laba Xiniinyood,

Waxan kaloo idinka Codsanlahaa brother Nur, Alle-Ubaahne iyo Xiinfaniinow, inaad Gabayadan hadaad haysaan ii sheegtaan idinkoo ku mahadsan!

Saaxiib gabayga la yiraahdo hurgumo waa mid ku taxaluqa arimo colaad ah oo laba qabiil ka dhexeeyay, sida aan sheekooyin badan ku maqlay waa gabay horudhac u ahaa dagaal ka dhacay gobolada dhexe ee soomaaliya. Ma xasuusto, laakiin gabayga uun wuxuu ku saabsanaa qabiil markaas itaal iyo awood is badi jiray oo maalin inta qolo yar kusoo duulay, hadana laga libin helay, oo goobtii dagaalka lagu warjeefay.

Waan isku dayi doonaa inaan baabkaas si fiican u dhex maquufno, haduu ilaah idmo. Koley Sh. Nur baa raba inuu keydka gabayada wixii duugnaa soo qufee. smile.gif

Haneefah   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Soo xera geli gabadha. Waxay afka ukala qaadaba sii

So what you're saying, in essence, is that a woman's heart can be bought, eh? :D I say, any woman in her right state of mind oo aqbasha nin falsafadaa ula soo xera tagey waa doqomad doqomad aan kala jirin oo wax-iskuma-fasho ah...how dare she :mad:

The glamour behind every relationship(call it marriage) is jaabitaan horee heh?

No walal, yaanan waligaa qob moos laguu dhigin. Any marriage that is founded on jab will only end in jab! (your somali is cute :D )

STOIC   

^^^^Your comments about my Somali may become grist to the mill of my adulation. Thank you, this is an encouraging comment to my Somali language after long, torturous, but heroic development to blend with the rest of Somali brothers and sisters :D .

Don’t mind Xiin, he is intuiting the rote affirmation of love. A bracing protest yours may be, we still love our beautiful Somali girls/women.

Nur   

An intgellectual discourse at its best, guys I am moved, never realized a balanced and a critical a response such as this will be posted, for me reading your thoughts was like going back to a literary school to relearn our cultural background that was preserved by our language, this thread is indeed very valuable, excuse me if I cant add much to it now, because i am busy enjoying its far reaching linguistic and cultural depth, i do that as food for thought, seeking further thoughts to, perhaps find a dormant gem, an idea that can be used to cure our national ailment, we have burned a culture before saving its treasures.

Nur

Salaaam Folks,

Hahahahahaha, Xiinow ka daaah, Sugaanta SOL laguu gu imanmaayo:

Sh. Nur you always intitiate the Ab-FAb topics,while Xiin got the killer instinct of Sugaan. But personally I love them all, our poets are a national treasure, I don’t dwell on the tribal parts of their poems, and that Cay and Af-lagaado butchery, mostly I like the Araar, the self-promotional staff,the Self- boasting, the theme of the gabay, universal truth and wisdom that they turned it into proverbs. This was all the essence of the literature, the extravaganza and impressive display of Sugaan in best format,who needs Byron, Milton and Shakespear when you got the bard of Burco -Salaan,Gaheir, Dhuux, Sayid of Nugal,Mirre, Bulxan, Qawdhan,T.Suldan etc .....

But all in all this guy said it all:

Maansooy nin Kugu duul

Nina maalin kugu dood

Nina dhuuni kaa doon

Nina derejo kaa dhigay

Nina nabarka kugu damaq

Nina dakharka kugu dhayey

Nina doogta kugu kici

Nina ololka kugu demi

Nina nabada kugu didi

Nina belada kugu dadab

Nina dookha caashaqa

Kaa dhigay daf loo tumo

Oo ka doorkan joogiyo

Dura gabayadii jiray

Intuu heesta kugu daro

Jacayl kugu dalaandali

Marna darayamuus iyo

Dhaclihi dunta ahaa

Aduu kuu derays yahay

Dumar kugu buraambure

---------Ibrahim Gadhle

May be we need anew thread called Sugaan Fiesta:

Salaam

^^^WoW. What a literary avalanche this is! Good one, Sharma’arke.

Nurow we all suspect there's more to you than you’ve thusfar allowed us to hear. Come back and say more, brother ;) .

Laba-X   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

Saaxiib gabayga la yiraahdo hurgumo waa mid ku taxaluqa arimo colaad ah oo laba qabiil ka dhexeeyay, sida aan sheekooyin badan ku maqlay waa gabay horudhac u ahaa dagaal ka dhacay gobolada dhexe ee soomaaliya. Ma xasuusto, laakiin gabayga uun wuxuu ku saabsanaa qabiil markaas itaal iyo awood is badi jiray oo maalin inta qolo yar kusoo duulay, hadana laga libin helay, oo goobtii dagaalka lagu warjeefay.

...Alle-Ubaahne, sidaad sheegtay ayaan anna maqlay laakiinse waxan maqlay iney qolo wolo ahaan dhamaantood and badankood qabiilada soomaaliya dowaladda ka soo horjeedeeen.

Silsiladu waxay ku bilaabatay, sida oday adeerkay ah iigu sheegay maanatadan, gabay uu Khaliif Sh. soomaalida si culus ugu gubaabinayo iney dowladda soomaaliya si qabiili ah ula dagaalamaan. Waxa lagu tilmaamaa silsilada hurgumo oo socotey ilaa 1978-84 iney xambaarsantahay fikradii qabyaalada ku dhisnayd ilaa 60 sano ka hor sida Guba oo ay xilligeedi dib uga dhacsantahay!

Waan isku dayi doonaa inaan baabkaas si fiican u dhex maquufno, haduu ilaah idmo.

...Waan kaa war sugeynaa Insha-Allah!