Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

An Interview with God

Johnny B   

Castro bro, happy to have you back, and thanks for the friendly advice !!

You seem to have had more than your share of beef with "the lynch mob" :D

Then,

this is a privately owned website, so i´m not expecting a public service kind of acceptance.

As for this thread , we´re sharing our own experience / understanding of GOD based on a peronal expeirence.

Hassena , Now that i understand your post fully , i must agree with you regarding the dismay, confusion and emptyness it causes to find out that what you´ve taken for granted may not exist.

I need to learn Arabic :( , but you´ve to agree with me , Qadar sounds more like a Somali name !!

Muhammed , To answer your Q , i´ve to make statements that many bro/sis here woulden´t agree with and HAVE to have their saying , and that would get us out of topic, but i don´t mind answering your Q on another thread with a diffrent topic.

so as for now Muhammed , share with us , your personal experience/understanding of God?

Rachel , Maybe Castro has a habit of stepping on ppl´s toes :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Johnny B:

Maybe Castro has a habit of stepping on ppl´s toes
:D

Johnny Bravo, saaxib, I just found out what the B in your name stands for (thanks to one of my kids). Stepping on people's toes is fine as long as it's not done on purpose.

I mentioned in another topic that our understanding of god is fairly minimal. The preponderance of the evidence leads many of us to believe in god. Faith is the confident and secure belief in god. That confidence and security are tried, tested and challenged every day. Strictly speaking, I find it easier to believe in god than not to. God explains much of my surroundings (not all, hence the faith in him). The problem of evil has baffled many people. Even when it has been "settled", on some level, it remains one of the biggest obstacles to a confident faith in god. Callypso mentioned something about a certain segment of humanity that is "naturally" skeptical and I wonder if that is related to how Allah shows the right path to some and not others. The latter is also baffling to me in that if one was not meant to find the right path, how is one expected to find the right path? I'm certain there is an answer to this question and I'm even more certain someone knowledgeable here would share it with us.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Castro:

I find it easier to believe in god than not to. God explains much of my surroundings (not all, hence the faith in him)....

Callypso mentioned something about a certain segment of humanity that is "naturally" skeptical and I wonder if that is related to how Allah shows the right path to some and not others. The latter is also baffling to me in that if one was
not
meant to find the right path, how is one
expected
to find the right path? I'm certain there is an answer to this question and I'm even more certain someone knowledgeable here would share it with us.

Very intresting indeed !!

The GOD you find easier to beleive in than not, seems to conform to the defination|understanding 'the omnipotent', 'the omniscient' that is why the notion "some are not meant to know" is sooo baffling .

And that goes for any defination i came across.

but i´m sure just as you´re that we gonna get enlighted by our bro/sis

Johnny B   

Caano geel bro, you seem to have survived the eNuri camp , i heard you graduated with an excellent degree in dish-washing, Nasra ku dishay :D

Try this Bikini contest and see if you can make Castro loose his chin :D

^^ look old man, you aint gonna make a heathen of me!

The other old man

strictly speaking, I find it easier to believe in god than not to. God explains much of my surroundings (not all, hence the faith in him).

i gotto disagree i'm afraid, its easier to reject god since 'rational' evidence i.e. that which we could measure objectively and repeatedly would say 'not likely' .. Its like an argument that i heard a while back in another context

'the easiest way to believe is not have hard evidence of the event/act' i'm sure u dont need me to expand ..

but this is percisely why you must be awed by the convictions of believers, because they do not rely on the measurement and reading, but have faith. and faith aint easy.

From conversations with others from a variety of different family/religions backgrounds, i'm yet to find any one who convices me with their faith (NOT i believe 'cos i dont wanna go to hell ) who at some point hasnt questioned it. and it seems through questioning some have gained strength and conviction that allows them to seperate the boundraies between what they feel and what they know .. if you can put it like that

p.s.

... Bikini contest my back end.. the eNuri class didnt train me to be a beeeeb

Castro   

You said:

look old man, you aint gonna make a heathen of me!

And later,

i'm yet to find any one who convices me with their faith

And finally,

and faith aint easy.

Caano Geel, you seem to be heathenizing yourself without any help.

Cara.   

Haseena:

Thank you for your concern, my dear. I understand it comes from a sincere belief that I'm harming myself or missing out on something worthwhile. Just understand it makes about as much sense, from my point of view, as me worrying about you not believing in Dhag Dheer.

I don't say that to be dismissive, just to give you a sense of my perspective, okay?

Castro:

I appreciate your heads-up. I'm not too worried about getting banned, for one simple reason. I am here because SOL forrumers seemed like an intelligent, articulate lot who disagree with one another civilly. If I get banned for expressing my views civilly, then I'll find some other outlet for them. There would be no point in my being a member but censoring myself. Of what possible use is that on an online forum? It's not as if I'm here to buy cajeelo or something!

Johnny B:

Aw, a fellow freethinker!

m u h a m m a d:

Life has no externally-imposed purpose. I decide what the purpose of my life is, whether it's to help the poor, fight for my country, or live in hedonistic bliss. But I am answering that question as an individual, not as a member of the Atheist Coalition. JB might have a different view on the matter.

Jacpher   

I never understood why many Sheikhs discourage reading philosophy books before acquiring enough Islamic knowledge about the subject. I think I know now.

May Allah show us all the guidance.

Bakar   

The article, The Problem of Evil, was intended to challenge ontological (or a priori) argument for proving God's existence from simple but powerful premises. Existence is derived from the clear and distinct idea of a supremely perfect being. The author attempts to controvert Descartes’ Third Medication concerning existence of Supreme Being, while he seemingly dismisses the idea that evil can solely be human nature, in other words, it is human product. He and several other authors use argument from evil which in some cases provides basis for an argument which challenges established idea of God being omniscient and omnipotent. The persuasive effect of this article is that the word evil is mutually intelligible.Hence, since its conception is coherent, it can be used as basis for an argument, be it proving or disproving existence of God, understanding God’s character in terms of his power and knowledge and so on.

JB, It will be more appropriate to post this kind of topics on other threads rather Islamic one. I don't think by posting here serves a good purpose. It is just a suggestion and nothing else is intended, saxib.