Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

An Interview with God

Johnny B   

No matter how civilized ,educated or old we get , mankind had never been able to agree upon a single defination of what the term "God" 'Alalh' means, though each and every human beeing has his own understanding.

What do personally you think about this?

After watching this

Anything that caught your attention ?you agree or disagree ?

Cara.   

Forget all of mankind agreeing on what God means; even I can't decide within myself.

When I was a child, God was a gigantic eye, watching and condemning every misdemeanor. The first theological statement I remember hearing is "Ilaahey ka baq". I did.

Around 15 years old, I decided God was an all-merciful father figure, looking on approvingly as I strove to please Him. I was very close to Him, while most other people were clearly not.

This lasted until I was about 20 and a junior in college. Then, in an attempt to perfect my faith, I tried to learn more about it. A singularly bad idea. By the end of the school year, my self-directed education led me to conclude that God was more a creation of Man than his Creator. Religion was a crutch for the weak, and religious movements arose as attempt to control and exploit people.

Now it's been a few years, and I've mellowed out somewhat. Maybe there's a Creator, and clearly some (few) religious movements do good for their followers and for society at large. But religion is not for me, and if there's a God, I suspect no one on this good Earth has divined His intent.

As for the little slide show, I thought it was very nice scenery, except some fool kept obstructing it with trite scribbles.

FatB   

woow Callypso that last statment was...unexpected to say it politly! could i ask what made u "u-turn" and sever your ties with alah? surly there must have been something that coursed u to question your faith?....i am ofcoure assuming that your parents are mulims....

I’m guessing you read Nietzsche in college

Brother, you need to abandon your humanist rationale, clearly there are scientific evidences that a higher being controls all in the universe.

Johnny B   

Brother Callypso deservs our gratitude for sharing his inner feelings and understandings ,

I think he shared more than enough with us , so the way forward is to share our OWN understanding of God with him.

AF ... How did you read N...e? mind sharing?

Cara.   

The One...

Nothing happened to me to make me an apostate, dear. I wasn't molested by a religious figure or anything. No unforgettable childhood trauma. All things considered, my life's been pretty good and I don't harbor hostility for Allah. I am saying this now because it's often the first thing people assume.

I believe that a certain fraction of people (at least 1 in 10) are natural-born skeptics, and will become so provided there's religious freedom. Even as a kid, people used to accuse me of being a little too rational, and my belief in Islam stemmed in part from my perception that it was the most rational of religions. When I found out that this wasn't saying much, then that was pretty much it.

Animal Farm,

No, I didn't read Nietzsche, but I probably should. Most of my reading was actually limited to Islamic sources, like apologist tracts. I read a few popular humanist works, like Thomas Payne, Carl Sagan, etc but this was after I began to doubt, so I was looking for an alternate philosophy.

Brother, you need to abandon your humanist rationale, clearly there are scientific evidences that a higher being controls all in the universe.

That may be, but I haven't come across this scientific evidence. But then I didn't say I have exhausted all evidence that a Higher Being exists, it's simply my belief that it doesn't. The only thing I am pretty sure about is that no one who claims to have communicated with this higher power actually did.

Johnny B,

So what's stopping you from sharing your views bro?

Haseena   

May allah subhanahu wa tala, guide you to His straight

Indeed Hidayah, comes from Allah, and he guides whom he pleases...

I am sad on your behalf Callypso, indeed doubts is a human trait, and the best cure for that from islamic point of view, is to study the concept of God the monotheism of God. In that way you'll come to know who Allah is,and what he really wants from us as human beings.

I remember how I was when i was 17, I couldn't understand the virtues of Qadar, I couldn't apply it to my life and accept it inside my heart. It lead me to doubt so intensly, I believe I thought I didn't belive there was a creator. But I remember even to this day, how my soul was hurting more of doubting God than being so confused and "turned off" on Qadar.

But Allhamdulillah what I can say is that was 5 years ago and Allah guided me, and I pray that he never leaves me to my self even for a second.

wa calaykum salam wa raxmatullah

Johnny B   

Bro Callypso !!

First , am sorry for the late input, 2nd , nothing could stop me from sharing my experience of God with you..

on the contrary , the idea behind the thread is to share our inner understanding of 'God' (Allah). without getting offended.

As for me , I´ve been struggling with the concept of 'God' through all my childhood.

First i´d the ususal foggy image of GOD imposed on my life by my parents´s good will to hang on to a tradition, culture etc etc .

then

It took another dimension for the 1st time i read "socrates trail".( i recommend it to all specially the teens and younger) since then it never been the same.

Later,i´ve gone throuth the 'seeker' stage where one turns every stone on his way to find out .

Now i came to the conclusion that neither are we God´s progeny

nor is he/she our progeny but God is the progeny of our need.

Today , i´m totally confident of his/her absence and i´m at ease with his/her defination of mine.

I see it as an indiviual understanding and entitle everyone to have his/her own.

My heart and mind are clean and free of any sort of hatred , confusion and negativity towards any other understanding that is different from mine.

To all the beleivers here , i appologize if offended

Originally posted by Haseena:

I remember how I was when i was 17, I couldn't understand the virtues of Qadar, I couldn't apply it to my life and accept it inside my heart. It lead me to doubt so intensly, I believe I thought I didn't belive there was a creator. But I remember even to this day, how my soul was hurting more of doubting God than being so confused and "turned off" on Qadar.

Bro/sis Haseena, mind eloberating on that?

who is Qadar?

Castro   

OMG? Are my eyes deceiving me or what I'm reading on this topic is real? We have people openly stating they do not believe in any religion let alone the almighty? What happened to the prevention-of-vice-and-promotion-of-virtue commandos? Surely if Castro were to utter anything even remotely similar to the above, the lynch mob would be ready. No matter.

Callypso, JB, you guys should be really careful what you say on here. Not because your statements are dishonest and you're making this up, but because this forum and its audience have zero tolerance for such confessions. You will not be embrased for speaking your mind on matters such as this. Even if some people have the same thoughts as you do, they would not share them here nor would they be kind to you publicly, if at all. Such ideas are frowned upon and could lead you to get banned from here. Not that you probably care one way or the other but there is no tolerance of disbelief in god around here. None. In fact, there's not much tolerance period.

Consider this a friendly and brotherly advice from Castro.

P.S. JB, qadar is fate or destiny in arabic.

Muhammad   

Johnny B & Callypso, as Atheists, I would like to ask you if you could share with us, What is the Purpose of Life(creation)?

Castro, enough with the fear tactics sxb. this forum has Rules and Regulations, you break them you pay the consequence. If you are wise enough to follow(tolerate) those simple rules, you will recieve tolerance.

Castro   

Originally posted by m u h a m m a d:

Castro, enough with the fear tactics sxb.

What fear tactics, saaxib? Did you even understand what I was saying? I strongly urge you to re-read what I wrote and point out specific "fear tactics" directed at anyone. If still in doubt, a refresher course in reading comprehension may be in order.

Fanisha   

Ooh Yeah! Castro, I agree with you... ku wii is moodayay inay Ilaahey dad ka uga dhaw yihiin ayaa hudug kugu odhan lahaa, if you posted this topic.