Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Who Will You Vote For In The 2010 General Election Poll

RedSea   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

How so?

They seem to be more open minded and flexible. Whereas the conservatives are more stubborn as far as foreign policy is concern. Locally, Most of the Somalis and minorities could perhaps belong into middle/lower middle class. The labor party proposes lenient tax cuts for the middle to lower class citizens, whereas it's the hallmark of Conservatives to give tax cuts to the wealthiest, making the middle working class carry the load. It's your call.

N.O.R.F   

Labour has done more for the urban centres since they were voted in (1997) than the Tories did in the previous 18 years. By urban centres I mean inner city redevelopment, job opportunities, local schemes and initiatives etc. If the Tories get in then a lot of that will most probably be scrapped (over time).

With regard to immigration/religious issues I just get the feeling the Tories will cave into the Daily Mail / Telegraph line and start appease the populace through discreet means i.e. make it harder on those non-Brits (non-Brit born / naturalised) who are on social benefits etc. This will inevitably mean many unfair decisions being taken just to appease (headlines of the same will follow suit).

Foreign Policy is Foreign Policy. It will continue to be formulated in Washington rather than London. Where there is a marked difference is in EU policy / constitution. Having said that, since Blair left office, it’s been the Germans and French steering things in that regard.

I wasted a vote on the green party the last time out (protest vote, I’m not a tree hugger) but this year it will be Labour.

Better the devil you know and all that (even if they shoot themselves in the foot after a week long campaign against Tory spending plans followed by a good PMQs where the Tories were left wanting).

N.O.R.F   

^You should always vote. You can vote for the Raving Looney Party (are they still around?) if you want. Just make sure to vote and stay on the electoral roll.

Come on people new labour isn’t like the old, in-fact it’s more conservative now than the conservative themselves. Sometimes I wonder whether infact were voting for personalities rather than policy.

Norf- that’s a myth, New labour isn’t that old party that you fondly remember, and If you read the policy between this two parties you will soon realise that there is only few differentiations and in most cases their infact one and the same…..what were getting is a popularity/personality contest.

With regards to immigration and religious issues…Norf come on. Are you soo quick to forget what the blind man has done, or who introduced the terror laws and other big brother laws? Not to mention who has taken us to war? As for the foreign policies are you people joking me (has anyone even bothered to read the parties paper on foreign policy?)

Lets not vote labour or any other part for that matter because we think we ought to…read what they both stand for and not what you think they stand for and then vote. How I laugh when I hear people saying labour are friends of Islam/minorities……..

Samafal   

I'm voting Conservative becouse they are promising to ban Qat. And also, policy wise they are not that different from Lbaour, Nowadays its about being in the centre and both parties favour this. The country needs conservatives to clean up a big mess made by the labour.

N.O.R.F   

^the mess Samafal says has been left by Labour.

The differences are little but I don't like the Tories smile.gif

If they do get in I hope they ban Qaad.

is anybody voting for the lib dems?

i would have consider standing for them - but they are full of weirdos with some brilliant ideas.

i am looking forward to the three way tv debates.

there was this big commotion at the mosque(before the friday khutba) when the committee mentioned something about voting for so and so. some almuhajiroun got up and started screaming it is "haram, shirk, kufr, fear allah," :D .

Personally, I would go for Lib Dems. how can any somali person vote tory :confused:

ps. banning khat would turn the leaf into the somali version of cocaine. i can never see it working in the uk somali population.

ps2.what's up with this page?

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Samafal:

I'm voting Conservative becouse they are promising to ban Qat.

I srongly support the ban of Qat but not the conservative or any other party yet.

Samafal   

I don't think you can say i will not vote for Tories just becouse they're Tories. You have to always look after your interests and know where your interest lie. Labour as New Labour is no friend of islam, they attacked Iraq without even asking the question if the war was legal and all they cared was pleasing America and Israel. All their policies alienated the moslem community wether it was detaining people for more than 72 days without any concrete evidence. Also, if you think they are for the poor think again. remember about the 10p tax? Th only difference between Lbaour and conservatives in terms of their Tax manifesto is the Inheritance Tax which does not apply to me and you as we hardly got anything to inherit or inherited from!

Qat is big problem for somali community as many young people are either in mental hospitals or in prison becouse of it.