Sign in to follow this  
Jamilah

Who's ur favourite author and what's ur favourite novel/s?

Jamilah   

Asalamu Calykum my fellow nomads,

I was ratther curious to know what type of novels you enjoy reading and who is your favourite author?

My favourite novels are:

The whole Harry Potter series, the i most enjoy would be, Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Harper Lee's only novel To kill a Mockingbird (which i am currently studying)

John Marsden- letters from the inside, so much to tell you, take my word for it and Tomorrow when the war began.

My favourite Authors are:

1. J.K Rowling

2. John Marsden

3. Harper Lee

4. James Pope

Salam

One more question any more Harry Potter fans out there?

Miriam1   

I love sci-fi/Fantasy movies as in Matrix, Xmen,Star Trek and Harry potter..but i tried to read one of the Harry potter books, wow do those things need patience, naturally patience i lack redface.gif

As for authors my fav one now are:

Stephen King

Isabelle Allende ( she is great)

Naguib Mahfouz

those are the only ones i can thnk of now.

Fav book at the moment is " The house of the spirits" by Isabele Allende.

Ohh and i dont and mean DONT recomend Barabra Kingsolver's new number one seller novel " The piosonwood bible" ..its awful!

peace

mahdi-   

When it comes to authors and their field, I am not into any of those Western writers. I rather give my support to those whom we have something in common (Somali Authors) since they need to get the courage of their community when they're extending some novels in the Somali language which would induce us not to leave or easily forget Our Mother Tangue. And of course it would enhance & enliven the knowledge about Somali, and even the etiquette of our next generation. Back to the topic:

The following were/are some of my favourite authors:

Abdi Mohammed Ali.

Author of: Bilaneey!

Abdi-Naasir Sh. Xasan.

Author of: Tacliin iyo Tallaabo Jacayl

Abdishakuur Mire Aadan.

Author of: Dhallanteed Jacayl!:

And also "Xusuus Caashaq"

Abdulqaadir Mohammed Wacays.

Author of: Aakhiraan ku haystaa!

Also, he's the author of: Illin Jacayl

Mahamed Caynaanshe Cawed-shire.

The author of: Ma sugto Meher maleh!

Mohammed Abdi Waaxid.

Author of:Guur iyo Afgarad Jacayl

And of course, many many more......

Jamilah   

Asalamu Calykum,

Ruba from Aruba,

It is better to read the then watch the movies, maybe that way not so much patience is required.

Mire,

Different style you pefer Somali maybe i will try that too.

Salam :D

Ariadne   

I am rather fickle when it comes to authors and my favourites. But, my favourite author that has constantly remained my favourite is of course Anne Rice.

Prinz   

Originally posted by mire:

When it comes to authors and their field, I am not into any of those Western writers. I rather give my support to those whom we have something in common (Somali Authors) since they need to get the courage of their community when they're extending some novels in the Somali language which would induce us not to leave or easily forget Our Mother Tangue. And of course it would enhance & enliven the knowledge about Somali, and even the etiquette of our next generation. Back to the topic:

The following were/are some of my favourite authors:

Abdi Mohammed Ali.

Author of: Bilaneey!

Abdi-Naasir Sh. Xasan.

Author of: Tacliin iyo Tallaabo Jacayl

Abdishakuur Mire Aadan.

Author of: Dhallanteed Jacayl!:

And also "Xusuus Caashaq"

Abdulqaadir Mohammed Wacays.

Author of: Aakhiraan ku haystaa!

Also, he's the author of: Illin Jacayl

Mahamed Caynaanshe Cawed-shire.

The author of: Ma sugto Meher maleh!

Mohammed Abdi Waaxid.

Author of:Guur iyo Afgarad Jacayl

And of course, many many more......

Sxb I've read the complete novel Dhalanteed Jacayl by Abdishakuur Mire, and both Aakhiraan ku haystaa.

and Illin Jacayl, waxay ahaayeen laba sheeko aan caadi ahayn, tragedies.. by the great Somali novelist Abdulqadir M.Wacays (Cali Baashe)...they were part of Taxanihii Iftin..other favourite novelist include:

Abdulahi Sh.Hussein Hantiwadag, the author of 'Ayyaan Daran'

Yaasiin falaxfalax, the author of ' Dhambaalkii Naxriista'

Mohamed Ahmed Gurxan, with his novel 'Qiso Kalgacal'

Maxamed C/raxmaan Maxamed (Caagane) and the novel 'Diihaal iyo Dareen Caashaq'..

I had lots of novels at home, dadka sheekooyinka ku waalan baan ahaa loolz

Urban   

Isabel Allende? I loved her book "Zorro", I read it twice earlier this year.

I dont have a fav writer, but I liked a couple of books I read by Patricia Cornwell, and Michael Connelly. I prefer Poetry books, especially Gibran Khalil's.

Miriam1   

Allah...Urban this thread is beyond old, I wasn't even in Uni at the time. I sound too young.

Well my resonable present day older self, still likes Isabel Allende. I wanted to buy Zorro the other day, but I was just turned off from the familar plot. I instead bought one of her older books, "Ines my soul" so far haven't had a chance to get into it, but I am sure its good.

I would recommed, my earlier choice. Daughter of Fortune is a great book and House of Spirits is wonderful, abit like "One Hundred Years of Solitude" magic realism.

Gibran Khalil...is just great, I haven't bought any of his books. But read some stuff online. My first introduction to poetry was from a cousin's university textbook...one of his poems was there with a detailed description. Fell inlove with him Pablo Neruda and Ezra Pound

Urban   

Zorro was pretty good, it's not like the typical movie plots. She writes more about the man himself, Diego de la Vega. What was happening before he was born and a lot about his journey towards becoming this zorro character. It does have a bit of magic realism in it and it's very enjoyable, there are even characters in history from that period of time included in the plot. Don't miss it! heh. I'll check out her other books on Amazon.

Speaking of which, there's this book that's been sitting in my Amazon wishlist for a couple of years now, it's called "Like water for chocolate". Have you read it? I might buy that one soon. It's at the stage where Amazon keeps recommending it to me everyday.

I'm in the middle of reading Gibran's "The Prophet" which I started about 2 years ago.. still only half way through tho. It's brilliant. You can read all, or parts of it here!

I gravitate towards science fiction and my author of the moment is John Twelve Hawks. Unfortunately I haven't been doing much reading of late, so I haven't made any new discoveries.

-Lily-   

Mahdi, I will look into you list since the idea of reading Somali books appeals to me. Laakin, are all Somali books about Jaceyl?

I haven’t read much fiction during Ramadan. I just finished reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist (one of those hyped up 'oriental' bestsellers) and it was an annoying book about the mad ramblings of a Pakistani man. It could have been written by Ngonge though…. icon_razz.gif

I will be finishing off Sepulchre by Kate Moss. It’s a supernatural/ghost story set in 19th century France.

The B****** of Istanbul looks quite good too, I forgot the author’s name.

nuune   

^^ Lily, Mahdi's list are all about Jaceyl, and they are all small mini-books, not more than 40 pages, I have read all of them, long time ago it was.

I don't have fav Author or book, I am yet to be converted to the English reading clubs.

-Lily-   

^^You don't know what you are missing. It is about the story, don't discriminate about the language of delivery.

nuune   

^^ lol@discriminate, that is true, did I tell you I bought three books about a month ago just to break the habit of not reading books in English, wali lama akhrin sadexdii book miiska ay iska saaranyihiin :D

I will start them soon, dhibka jiro waxaa waaye, I only read the little points at the back of the cover, the mini reviews lol, intaas aa igu filan bas.

Prinz   

Nuune^

not all of them are 40 pages, for example sheekada Ayyaan Daran is avobe 172 pages, Adeegto which comes in almost 210 pages, both the original versions published in Madbacada Qaranka.

But it's true most of Somali novels circulate about Romance.