Sign in to follow this  
Salma

The Red Day: I Hate the Valentine Day

Salma   

The yearly fever of the Valentine have already started. And this is one of the silliest time on the calendar 14-February makes me :mad: You just go the Market and see that all the shopping malls, restaurants, galleries,,,,, are all Red in Red :mad:

The whole city is Red, whats Next??!! Iam afraid next time they will stop the Green and Orange colour in the traffic and let the Red Light ones work only just 2 please the Valentineans :D

Now, I don't mind the westerns celebrating the Valentine and such silly things, what they celebrate is upto them, but what's wrong with our Muslims people? Specially the Girls who are so attached with these silly occasions.

Now see this:-

Girl # 1 : "Iam thinking deeply what to give my xabiibi xayaaati in V-Day?"

Girl # 2: " Naya how about Choco, or flowers or a Diving Watch or maybe a very special technical macawis, we can order it Online by Credit Card from Japan?"

Girl # 3: "A special dinner and a private romantic night is enough girls"

Girl # 4: Who was of course the most Boring and traditional person in this girly get-to-gether A.K.A Classique :D :

So galz do you know exactly Who is Saint Valentine? And who invented this Day? And why they called it "V-Day"?!! And have you ever aksed yourself "why do you have to celebrate a non-islamic day"? And do you think that by doing celebrating it you are showing love,care & modernity?!!!

long and boring silence .............

All girls looking at Moi: You are so Old-Fashioned and gloomy, books will kill you at the end. And all this information ufffff...Whoo cares aslan about who invented the Pyramids, or the Chinese Wall, or or or the computer. And who cares which came first the Chicken or the Egg...

Not Important darling, besides the whole world is celebrating the V-Day Hurrrrray,, so WHY NOT US :mad: ?

Girl #4 : Why not US? is that all what you can say "WHY not uS". the same silly answer over & over "Imitating others in everything". Damn it are they so happy with the V-Day as if its the Victory Day of all the Muslims in this Earth.

============================================

Anyway, I must confess I used to celebrate the V-Day when I was a crazy teenager and yah yah yah I used to buy flowers, chocos,candies bla bla bla, but when I'd realised the story behind it I QUIT celebrating it. Iam so thankful to my Islamic Teacher who explained the situation to us. May Allah rewards her for the golden information.

So Nomads, for those who are celebrating the V-Day:

1- Kindly stop imitating others in everything including their wrong points.

2- Check the historical/religious background of any occassion b4 celebrating it, who knows, maybe you r celebrating a paganish occassion without knowing it which is not acceptable to celebrate. Even if its not paganish and its a Christian or Jewish, its the same result: don't celebrate them or even congrat others for it. The same is applied on the Christmas, the Easter, the Birthdays, the Diwali, the Hanoukah, the Passover, the Halloween, All Saints Day, All Fools Day, the Mother Day, the Father Day,,, etc.

3- Stop spending your money on buying chocos, flowers, gifts for the celebration of the Valentine Day. You can love your beloved ones as much as you want(Your hubby/wife/friend (I said a friend not Boy Friends or Girl Frinds :D

Its good to love your beloved ones and show them this love. You can buy them gifts, take them to marvellous places and spend money (modestly and properly) to please them. But you don't have to celebrate non-islamic occasions just to show them your love,respect and happiness.

Don't let them fool you and take your Mind & Money, Valentine Day has nothing to do with LOVE.

Salam

Bess.   

this is one version of the story of the origins of valentine's day.....to my eternal shame i have never realized how christian the origins of this story was....and what it represents...but thanks to classique ....there will be no more valentine's celebrations of this nomad....thank u sis.....

ps...plz lets all remember to learn more about the events or dates that we celebrate.....and lets not be like sheep and follow the herd to oblivion...

The History of Saint Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire. In ancient Rome, February 14th was a holiday to honor Juno. Juno was the Queen of the Roman Gods and Goddesses. The Romans also knew her as the Goddess of women and marriage. The following day, February 15th, began the Feast of Lupercalia.

The lives of young boys and girls were strictly separate. However, one of the customs of the young people was name drawing. On the eve of the festival of Lupercalia the names of Roman girls were written on slips of paper and placed into jars. Each young man would draw a girl's name from the jar and would then be partners for the duration of the festival with the girl whom he chose. Sometimes the pairing of the children lasted an entire year, and often, they would fall in love and would later marry.

Under the rule of Emperor Claudius II Rome was involved in many bloody and unpopular campaigns. Claudius the Cruel was having a difficult time getting soldiers to join his military leagues. He believed that the reason was that roman men did not want to leave their loves or families. As a result, Claudius cancelled all marriages and engagements in Rome. The good Saint Valentine was a priest at Rome in the days of Claudius II. He and Saint Marius aided the Christian martyrs and secretly married couples, and for this kind deed Saint Valentine was apprehended and dragged before the Prefect of Rome, who condemned him to be beaten to death with clubs and to have his head cut off. He suffered martyrdom on the 14th day of February, about the year 270. At that time it was the custom in Rome, a very ancient custom, indeed, to celebrate in the month of February the Lupercalia, feasts in honor of a heathen god. On these occasions, amidst a variety of pagan ceremonies, the names of young women were placed in a box, from which they were drawn by the men as chance directed.

The pastors of the early Christian Church in Rome endeavored to do away with the pagan element in these feasts by substituting the names of saints for those of maidens. And as the Lupercalia began about the middle of February, the pastors appear to have chosen Saint Valentine's Day for the celebration of this new feast. So it seems that the custom of young men choosing maidens for valentines, or saints as patrons for the coming year, arose in this way.

:confused:

dawoco   

In all honesty i hadn't realised that the evil V was upon us again until i read some nomads mention it and saw this thread. Remembering dates was never my thing....

Classique, ppl never want to listen when they r being told that they arent acting as they should, maybe cos they often know it themselves but have pushed it so far down their concience that they hate any reminder of their wrong doings. But that is just human nature, isnt it?

As for Valentines day, if two individuals are in love they don't need a specific day to honour that love, they will do it constantly with kind gestures and honest actions, not materials.

I could never understand ppl who would buy one another flowers. If the person you love shows it by giving you something beautiful that will die within days, what does that say about your relationship? Talk about bad omens.

I'm going a bit off topic, so forgive me C :D

Dawaco, what are you trying to say about flowers, because I don't understand what it is that you wrote above^.

Are you comparing the life expectancy of flowers to that of a relationship? I just don't get it

To the rest of you girls, if pple decide to go on ahead and celebrate with or without having any knowledge about V-day or how it was originated, then its upto them to answer to allah come judgement day.

Let the muslim pple make the choices for themselves, without any preaching from know it all folks.

To the poster, if you are irritated by all the fuss that comes with v-day, then turn a blind eye.

No one is holding a gun over your head and demanding that you cheer up about v-day.

Originally posted by dawoco:

As for Valentines day, if two individuals are in love they don't need a specific day to honour that love, they will do it constantly with kind gestures and honest actions, not materials.

That's the most anti-capitalist thing I've ever heard.

Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day - they're all capitalist days designed for capitalizing on the wallets of dreamers, Romeo-ans and Juliet-ans. The supposed religious meaning of Valentine's Day is superficial compared to the monetary meaning and value it sits on today! And Somali people are throwing parties on Valentine's Day. Champions of Jahli-ism, no?

And Somali people are throwing parties on Valentine's Day. Champions of Jahli-ism, no?

Is capitalism only limited to chocolates and hallmark cards?

Sup wichu Bruh?

Bess.   

layziegirl.... maybe u should follow ur own advice and not preach to us....if u don't like what she has written maybe u should ignore it and move on and not make us read ur own preachy tripe....if u r so psyched to celebrate the "event" plz do so on ur own....u tell ppl not preach but u turn around and try to force feed us ur opinion..... :confused:

wareer badanaa

^^Maybe you should read carefully before you open your mouth. Wareer badanaa!!! And why do you care how or who she responds to? :rolleyes:

To the rest of you girls
, if pple decide to go on ahead and celebrate with or without having any knowledge about V-day or how it was originated, then its upto them to answer to allah come judgement day.

Let the muslim pple make the choices for themselves, without any preaching from know it all folks.

Besbaaso is a girl wouldnt you say? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

^^^Your slipping Chav. :D;)icon_razz.gif

Classique: I was surprised when I learned the origins or halloween and valentine's day in grade 9. Made it easier to accept not participating in it.... :D

Whats 'US'?

Wareer badnaa...

Lol

Spicy girl a.k.a baasto besbaaso, or whatever else you wanna call yourself, there really isn't a need for you to get worked up over nothing.

I don't preach, I just tell it like it is and lately, I've noticed the "know it all pple" constantly preaching to others on what to do and what not to do, as if the rest of the pple are children that have no mind of their own to make the right choices.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine, no one made you a spokeswoman of the "know it all" click, take it easy and peace on mother earth.

ps:

if u r so psyched to celebrate the "event" plz do so on ur own....

What I celebrate on my own private time is really non of your concern, why don't you worry about you for a change, spicy?