Sign in to follow this  
Dr Ligle

UK Welsh Somalis 95% Unemployed. BBC Facting Report

Dr Ligle   

Somali people living in Wales are being given more support to access services such as health and education in an attempt to combat social exclusion.

The Somali community is one of Wales' oldest ethnic groups but is also one of the most economically deprived and excluded from mainstream society .

Only 5% of Cardiff Somalis are in employment , according to a report on social exclusion in Wales.

The assembly government-funded project aims to give information on services.

The idea of the all-Wales project has come from the Somali Integration Society (SIS) and was launched by Social Justice Minister Edwina Hart on Thursday.

Organisers say it is designed to improve the position of the Somali community in Wales, through the provision of practical advice, guidance, information and life skills.

The £234,000 three-year scheme is funded through the Welsh Assembly Government's ccmmunity facilities and activities programme.

Ibrahim Harbi is one of the organisers of the new scheme

It will focus on the key areas of health, employment and training, education and community safety and provide information to the Somali community on how to access the services.

Three workers will be employed to manage the project, including workers who will travel around the community offering advice.

Ibrahim Harbi, the co-ordinator of SIS, said he hoped the scheme would provide opportunities to equip people with the life skills, confidence, and information to enable them better access to key services to improve their health, education and employment prospects.

"Many Somalis in Wales have fled their homelands because of civil war and can often feel traumatised by this brutal experience, as well as feeling isolated and unable to access key public services," said Mr Harbi.

"SIS will be working with partner agencies through this project to positively change the lives of the Somali community, tackle social exclusion, improve social enterprise and let them fulfil their full potential".

Wales' Somali community is around 7,000 strong

Cardiff South and Penarth AM Lorraine Barrett said: "I am delighted to have been able to support the Somali Integration Society's new project.

"The Somali community in my Cardiff South constituency is the largest British-born Somali population in the UK and one of the oldest minority ethnic groups in Wales - yet it is also one of the most economically deprived and socially excluded communities.

"That is why this project is so crucial.

"Equipping the community with life-skills, confidence and information will help tackle social exclusion and improve the lives of the Somali community, not only in Cardiff but in all parts of Wales."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.u k/2/hi/uk_news/wales /south_east/4673846. stm

Uk people are useless, wa dad dhintay!!! uff. To make matters worse is this is the oldest community of somalis in wales who went to the u.k 100 years ago as sailors and navy-workers!!! you would think after being in the u.k for so long they would be successful community but infact they are termed the "one of the poorest community of all uk"!!!

Ibtisam   

Not helpful study, because it is based on all Somalis in Wales, rather than the number of eligible/ potential workers who are not working. For example up to 60% of the Somali population is likely to be too old (all the sailors and seamen) or too young, under 18years old. Somalis in London for example are more likely to be a lot younger (but not too young) and able to work. Unemployed also includes all the students, who despite being unemployed, are doing something worthwhile with their time. There is no point mentioning those with young children who cannot work or the disabled. But basically the study makes mass generalization.

Good project though, I heard Cardiff has lots of youngesters below 25ish who could use a little direction.

Dr Ligle   

Ibtisam, well the old-sailors have grand-children and third generation uk-somalis who should be successful people. For example italians went to australia and new zealand and even america after world war 2. They been there 60 years and are very successful community.

Look at the asian community in america from vietnam and korea in america who recently came in the 60s and 70s and they are successful community in america!!!!

This is sad report because the cardiff somalis are like 3rd and 4th generation uk born!!! they should be a successful community by now not "one of the poorest" community as the report suggest!!!

This report also included all those in "employment" as it states in the article!!! if its casual, part-time, full-time, seasonal, etc it is included because its considered "employment"!!! so really 95% of cardiff somalis are unemployed and they ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!! and don't make excuses for it because this has gone beyond excuses and need desperate fixing. The welsh government has invested 200,000 thousands pounds into workshops and projects to give life to these dead people!!! but i personally think their is no life-support that can hold this community together and need to be deported as soon as possible because they are not only negative image to the uk but also are drain on hard-working british ppl who have to pay for their single mother welfare cheques so they can sit back and watch hindi movies and go to wedding parties to enjoy themselves!!! Totally unproductive and hold no benefit for the host nation and giving all somalis a bad-name. The u.k ppl should stand up and demand the deportation of cardif somalis!!!!

Ibtisam   

^^^Dude, what I am trying to tell you is that the success of the 2nd and 3rd (they have not reach 4th generation as yet) cannot be judge now because they are still young.

Also the comparison with the other communities such as the Asians and Italians is void, because they had different economical, social and political backgrounds as well as educational levels, which allowed them to adjust much faster. You cannot compare refugees and economic migrants and expect the same level of productivity.

The rest of your rant is propaganda.

Incidentally this study is also flawed because it was carried out during recession, with highest level of unemployment across country, even in London, did you know that in every 6 households, one of them does not have a single person working. icon_razz.gif Where should we deport these people to??

This is ridiculous. 95% is pathetic. What is the methodology? This is beyond belief. Having visited cardiff numerous times, the somali people are one of the most integreated and well established somali groups in the world.

Ina_Gaweto if you are Puntland. What are you doing in Cardiff. Its a well-known fact that Cardiff is a somaliland enclave in Britain.

Soo Dhawoow sxb!

chubacka   

I was jst thinking if Marx has a script it would be this guy.

Dadka iska daa, there must be valid reasons why these somalis are not employed,and its somalis who are working to address this issue.

Dr Ligle   

Ibtisam, well the people in cardiff wales are not refugees but are indeed economic migrants. Remember these people came to the u.k 100 years ago!!! during the time of british colonialists in somalia!!!

They had excellent educational levels because colonials were ruling somalia!!! and they didn't migrate due to economic hardship in somalia but migrated because they were sailors and navy workers!!!

So i don't know where u get this idea that they are refugees due to the civil war. Infact their other reports that suggests refugees from the civil war employment wise is doing alot better then the cardiff oldest somali community!!!

So please don't attack the report because you don't like the facts that cardiff somalis are useless. You need to acknowledge their is serious problem that needs be addressed.

Lastly 1 in 6 households has 1 person not working. Lets say that is true for argument sake. the average household is 4 people. 1 in 6 families is 0.16% and then you need to divide that by 4..That is 0.4% unemployed brits. That is if what you said is true, which you failed to provide any evidence for!!!

0.4% is alot better then 95%, i am sure any reasonable person would agree, however you are not reasonable and even call it "propaganda"!!!

cajiib!!! where are your priorities for goodness sakes!! wake up cardif somalis are useless and unproductive community and they need to be deported. Where should they should be deported? well deport them back to somalia where they come from because according to university journals somalia unemployment rate is 47% which is alot better then 95% at cardiff.

You can verify that somalia unemployment level is 47% here. I'll even be nice enough and quote it for you because i think you have literacy problem also and if you are from cardiff well then that explains your level of jahiliyah and i am not suprised in the least!!!! icon_razz.gif

their average estimated total unemployment rate was 34 percent in 2007, ranging from a high of 47 percent in Somalia to a low of 18.6 percent in the West Bank

http://journal.heinz .cmu.edu/articles/ec onomics-key-reducing -worldwide-terrorism -risk/

Ibtisam   

Chubacka:

Somalis like to stand on the side and shout abuse dhee. :D

Marx, he just reminded me of when you joined SOL, must be all the !!! and over emphasis.

Hmmm yes.... I was wondering too, this Ina_G sounds just like Marx- they both ooze aggression and lack a bit of self control

"Uk people are useless, wa dad dhintay!!! uff" (Ina_Gaweto, 2009) :D

Ibtisam   

Ibtisam, well the people in cardiff wales are not refugees but are indeed economic migrants. Remember these people came to the u.k 100 years ago!!! during the time of british colonialists in somalia!!! They had excellent educational levels because colonials were ruling somalia!!! and they didn't migrate due to economic hardship in somalia but migrated because they were sailors and navy workers!!!

Again you are wrong, although Somalis landed in Cardiff as far back as 1870, they were sailors, typical male, alone who settled in these areas. Despite these colonial roots, the bulk of the community is relatively young, having arrived between 1988-1990 flee prosecution and the collapsing state. Often consisting of families joining sailors, female domestic workers, university students and political exiles. Therefore your argument that they had excellent education is a lie and not a crediable one at that, since when was a sailor educated??? And since when were families joining sailors considered as economic migrants, do I need to ask about the political exiles?? Even the university students came for a purpose.

So i don't know where u get this idea that they are refugees due to the civil war. Infact their other reports that suggests refugees from the civil war employment wise is doing alot better then the cardiff oldest somali community!!!

Are you telling me facts or you making things up again? Which study and where?

So please don't attack the report because you don't like the facts that cardiff somalis are useless. You need to acknowledge their is serious problem that needs be addressed.

I have no problems with reports, aside from it having major short comings, it can still be used for improving our community, I was objecting to your ranting.

Lastly 1 in 6 households has 1 person not working. Lets say that is true for argument sake. the average household is 4 people. 1 in 6 families is 0.16% and then you need to divide that by 4..That is 0.4% unemployed brits. That is if what you said is true, which you failed to provide any evidence for!! 0.4% is alot better then 95%, i am sure any reasonable person would agree, however you are not reasonable and even call it "propaganda"!!!!

You misunderstood, out of six households, one of them will not have a breadwinner- i.e. the whole family is unemployed.

cajiib!!! where are your priorities for goodness sakes!! wake up cardif somalis are useless and unproductive community and they need to be deported. Where should they should be deported? well deport them back to somalia where they come from because according to university journals somalia unemployment rate is 47% which is alot better then 95% at cardiff.

Again radiclous assertation and even worse suggestions :D

You can verify that somalia unemployment level is 47% here. I'll even be nice enough and quote it for you because i think you have literacy problem also and if you are from cardiff well then that explains your level of ********* and i am not suprised in the least!!!!

Farrid baad tahey, and with a little direction even smart, and yes I do have a literacy problem; I am allergic to bullshid literacy, I like academic literature though, so extra points of you quote some for me icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Ina_Gaweto:

Wales' Somali community is around 7,000 strong

The 2001 census figures were much higher than this. 95% of 7000 people means only 350 somali people in Wales have jobs.

ScarFace   

Originally posted by Ina_Gaweto:

NONESENSE all Somali's are useless(no offence :D )