Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Somaliland Picture Thread

Great pictures Alpha, keep em coming. You've outdone yourself sxb applause.gif

Now if only you could do a bit of investigative journalism and find out who is contructing the buildings that are under construction and for what purpose... :D

Haatu   

Alpha, it's currently Gu' season. Why don't you take advantage and go plant some trees outside the city on your weekends? You could set up a group to help you and do it on an iskaa wax u qabso basis. It pains me to see the land turn to desert slowly.

Haatu;932819 wrote:
Alpha, it's currently Gu' season. Why don't you take advantage and go plant some trees outside the city on your weekends? You could set up a group to help you and do it on an
iskaa wax u qabso
basis. It pains me to see the land turn to desert slowly.

The problem is parly also one of land ownership laws. There are very few unclaimed pieces of land left in the country and those who own the land hoard it and do nothing with it. Nobody wants you to tresspass on their out of fear you may lay claim to it in the "ku qabso ka qadi maysid ee" mindset. So all I would say is be careful where you try to plant.

Aint it funny though, the sight of Dahabshiil towering over the so-called "baanka dhexe". It speaks volumes and makes you wonder about who really holds the power.

39270_10152678158195594_306388705_n.jpg

Haatu   

OdaySomali;932823 wrote:
The problem is parly also one of land ownership laws. There are very few unclaimed pieces of land left in the country and those who own the land hoard it and do nothing with it. Nobody wants you to tresspass on their out of fear you may lay claim to it in the "ku qabso ka qadi maysid ee" mindset. So all I would say is be careful where you try to plant.

I forgot about that. But can't they make laws that all undocumented land belongs to the state? Because some of these lands are miles away from the outskirts forget the centre. Such laws should be passed. Also, the reason people cut trees is for domestic firewood. If the people are given alternatives such as gas the demand will decrease. Flood the market with those cheap two-hob gas cookers and secure a reliable supply of gas and there you go. Gas is available because they use it for the feynuus I believe.

OdaySomali;932814 wrote:
Great pictures Alpha, keep em coming. You've outdone yourself sxb
applause.gif

Now if only you could do a bit of investigative journalism and find out who is contructing the buildings that are under construction and for what purpose...
:D

LOL@You've outdone yourself sxb

inaar, this thread was started by my predecessor and Alpha's incarnate, Marxuum Maximus Powers (R.I.P), in 2009. i've merely kept the maxruum's memory and spirit alive by adding whatever i could to the thread.

this thread is dedicated to showcasing Somaliland. its not a political thread, so fadlan try to contribute less than you already are..:P. similarly, you should have done your own investigations in:1. finding out whose constructing these building and 2. the purpose for which they were constructed, since you were there..:P

thanks.

Al

Haatu;932819 wrote:
Alpha, it's currently Gu' season. Why don't you take advantage and go plant some trees outside the city on your weekends? You could set up a group to help you and do it on an
iskaa wax u qabso
basis. It pains me to see the land turn to desert slowly.

Haatu,

i completely agree. i was talking to some Ethiopians just today about such a venture.

unless than 6 years ago, the Afar region in Ethiopia was semi-arid and very dry, apparently. now, its one of most lush and fertile parts of the northern regions. my Ethiopian friends also informed me that the UN provided the Ethiopian government..$14m USD in 2006 to continue its efforts as well as to replicate this ''exemplary project worthy of emulating'' out to other regions. whats more, each child, student and all citizens of the Afar region are encouraged on an iskaa wax u qabso basis to plant as many trees as possible. this has yield enormous dividends, as i'm sure, you could imagine. also each Afari persons pays 1birr/per month to help support the workers tasked with looking after the trees. there was something about these small donations helping to fund and support a small office. = job creation.

also, they told me.....the more trees that are planted, the more its likely to rain in that area, even if its arid eg. Afar Region. i thought this was very interesting as i didn't know......as usual, and in keeping up with that classical tit-for-tat antagonism between us, the Ethiopians didn't hesitate to mock my basic grasp of biology.......... as well as alluding to the biblical importance of Abyssinia and its impressive history. we all laughed at my expense but also theirs after a few pro-Somali subtle undertones but it was worth learning something very important, ruunti. :D:p

OdaySomali;932826 wrote:
Aint it funny though, the sight of Dahabshiil towering over the so-called "baanka dhexe". It speaks volumes and makes you wonder about who really holds the power.

39270_10152678158195594_306388705_n.jpg

i agree. this is a symbolic picture that attests to the unstructured growth and power of a private sector.... which is NOT only unregulated but also free to do as it wishes. worrying times again.

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;932860 wrote:
Haatu,

i completely agree. i was talking to some Ethiopians just today about such a venture.

unless than 6 years ago, the Afar region in Ethiopia was semi-arid and very dry, apparently. now, its one of most lush and fertile parts of the northern regions. my Ethiopian friends also informed me that the UN provided the Ethiopian government..$14m USD in 2006 to continue its efforts as well as to replicate this
''exemplary project worthy of emulating''
out to other regions. whats more, each child, student and all citizens of the Afar region are encouraged on an
iskaa wax u qabso
basis to plant as many trees as possible. this has yield enormous dividends, as i'm sure, you could imagine. also each Afari persons pays
1birr/per month
to help support the workers tasked with looking after the trees. there was something about these small donations helping to fund and support a small office. = job creation.

also, they told me.....
the more trees that are planted, the more its likely to rain in that area
, even if its arid eg. Afar Region. i thought this was very interesting as i didn't know......as usual, and in keeping up with that classical tit-for-tat antagonism between us, the Ethiopians didn't hesitate to mock my basic grasp of biology.......... as well as alluding to the biblical importance of Abyssinia and its impressive history. we all laughed at my expense but also theirs after a few pro-Somali subtle undertones but it was worth learning something very important, ruunti.
:D
:p

can you provide a link or something. Sounds interesting.