Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Trial of failed tube bombers starts.....

N.O.R.F   

'Suicide bomb' CCTV shown to jury

_42451961_7_7_suspects_203x152.gif

A jury has been shown CCTV footage of the moment an alleged suicide bomber tried to detonate a device on a London underground train on 21 July 2005.

The pictures taken on a train near Oval station in south London have been played on the second day of the trial.

Muktar Ibrahim, Manfo Asiedu, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yahya deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Prosecutors allege the failed bid was planned before the 7 July 2005 attacks.

Woolwich Crown Court was told components for the devices started to be bought in late April or early May.

And a "bomb factory" was set up Curtis House in New Southgate, the home of Yassin Omar.

1.jpg

Components for the detonator were uncovered at the property, said prosecuting counsel Nigel Sweeney QC.

"There is a consistent picture of the purchasing of components, taken then to Curtis House, and of manufacturing taking place there," he said.

"The events with which you are concerned 14 days after are plainly not some hastily-arranged repetition of the devastating events of 7/7, plainly not some hastily-arranged copycat."

But Mr Sweeney alleged the enhanced security after the 7 July influenced the defendants' plans.

"The 7/7 bombings took place towards the end of the morning rush hour.

"These defendants had obviously decided not to risk trying to get on to the public transport system in the rush hour, given the enhanced security that was now in place.

"Instead they chose to mount their attack at lunchtime when the enhanced security was no longer in force."

The court heard Mr Omar got engaged four days before the alleged attacks.

Mr Sweeney said he went through an engagement ceremony - which some witnesses described as a marriage - on 17 July at a mosque in Finchley, north London.

Mr Omar is said to have later left London disguised as a Muslim woman wearing a burka.

The prosecution has said all of the bombers were would-be suicide bombers except for Mr Yahya, who was out of the country on 21 July 2005.

The trial continues.

bbc.co.uk

Viking   

These so called "Chapati Bombers" are the first EVER stooopid and definitely the most unsuccessful suicide bombers in history! One chickenned out and dumped his bag (Manfo Asiedu), one panicked when it failed to detonate and shouted "It's only bread!" (Ramzi Mohamed) and the others ran for their lives when their devices too failed to detonate (I thought they were not afraid of death :confused: ).

It's bad enough that they are brainwashed into killing people they don't even know, but the "recruiters" (or whoever is the mastermind) must be pissed off at the "scientist" who designed these chapati bombs.

Saddiiq   

Hussein Osman aka Bambi is Ethiopian national, I'm guessing Adaree. Mukhtar Ibrahim, is of Eritrean origin though I'm not sure what ethnic group.The one to the far right, Ramzi Mohammed is somali. Man, this was awhile ago they havnt been tried yet? :confused:

N.O.R.F   

Friend 'helped bomb plot accused'

Mr Asiedu is one of six men who deny conspiracy to murder

A friend of the alleged 21 July bombers has told a jury he helped to collect the main ingredient for their bombs, believing it was for decorating.

Matthew Dixon told Woolwich Crown Court he drove Manfo Asiedu to a hairdressing wholesalers to pick up bleach.

Mr Asiedu is alleged to have then bought 16 litres of hydrogen peroxide.

Mr Asiedu, Muktar Ibrahim, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yahya deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Mr Dixon, a product designer, was a school friend of Mr Omar and knew several of the alleged plotters, the court heard.

Volatile liquid

Among them was 33-year-old Mr Asiedu, who told Mr Dixon he needed bleach for "stripping walls in listed buildings" because the wallpaper was so thick that a stripper would not work.

The pair drove to Hairways wholesalers in Tottenham, north London, on 19 May 2005, the court heard.

A sales assistant advised them that liquid peroxide was volatile, Mr Dixon said.

He (Mr Asiedu) said I was the only person he knew with a car

Matthew Dixon

But Mr Asiedu replied: "No worries, I am a professional, I know what I am doing."

Earlier, the court heard that Mr Asiedu bought the hydrogen peroxide allegedly for use as an explosive charge to be used in a plot to bomb London's public transport system.

Mr Dixon told the court he had been reluctant to help with the shopping trip because he was busy with his Masters degree, but Mr Asiedu had been persistent.

"He said I was the only person he knew with a car," Mr Dixon said.

Painter and decorator

Mr Asiedu bought all the bottles in the shop and then the pair drove to Sally's hairdressers in Finchley where he bought more bottles, Mr Dixon told the court.

They then carried them to the ninth-floor home of Mr Omar in Curtis House, New Southgate, north London, the jury was told.

Matthew Dixon knew several of the alleged bombers

Mr Dixon said he had no idea at the time of the potential use of peroxide in explosives and believed they were to be used by Mr Asiedu in his trade as a painter and decorator.

"I had no reason to doubt what they were going to be used for," he said.

He said that, until the failed 21 July attacks, he had dismissed the shopping trip as "meaningless".

Mr Dixon also said he had visited north London's Finsbury Park Mosque with Mr Omar and Mr Yahya at the time that radical Islamic cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri was preaching there.

He said it had been his first experience of a mosque and he had found nothing "abnormal or radical" about it.

He went on to explain that he had "drifted" away from Mr Omar and Mr Yahya during the year before the alleged attacks.

THE ACCUSED

Muktar Said Ibrahim, 28, from Stoke Newington, north London

Ramzi Mohammed, 25, from North Kensington, west London

Yassin Omar, 26, from New Southgate, north London

Hussein Osman, 28, of no fixed address

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address

Adel Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham, north London

But he told the court he had called Mr Omar in the days before the attack in response to "drop-calls", when Mr Omar would ring and then hang up because he had no credit.

Then two days after 21 July, Mr Dixon said he began to grow concerned about Mr Omar's whereabouts after calls from his family.

He told the court that he had seen images in the media of the suspected bombers and thought one of them "resembled" his friend.

Marriage

Mr Dixon told the court how he went on to visit Mr Omar's home in Curtis House to ask neighbours for information, and then went to Finchley Mosque where he spoke to Mr Asiedu.

The pair, along with Mr Omar's brother-in-law, then went to visit the flat of Mr Omar's new wife, who he had married five days before the alleged attacks, Mr Dixon told the court.

It was "obvious" she was "distressed", Mr Dixon said.

"The only thing she said was 'How could he do this? We just got married' and I said to her 'Don't worry, I do not think he was involved'," Mr Dixon added.

Under cross examination by Peter Carter QC, Mr Omar's counsel, Mr Dixon said his friend Mr Omar had disagreed with the 7 July bombings and believed in promoting the good and kind aspects of Islam when encouraging people to convert to the faith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6286271.stm

N.O.R.F   

Court shown dramatic 21 July film

CCTV shows Angus Campbell confront Ramzi Mohammed

CCTV video clips

A court has seen dramatic CCTV footage of an alleged attempt to set off a bomb on a Tube train on 21 July 2005.

The film pictures Ramzi Mohammed getting on the northbound Northern Line train, and a bang taking place between Stockwell and Oval stations.

The footage, seen by Woolwich Crown Court, shows firefighter Angus Campbell remonstrating with him and Mr Mohammed running off into the crowd.

Six men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

They are Manfo Asiedu, Muktar Ibrahim, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Mr Mohammed and Adel Yahya.

Smoking debris

As well as featuring the confrontation between Mr Campbell and Mr Mohammed, the CCTV images shown to the court also show the chaotic moments after Mr Mohammed's alleged bomb failed to explode.

Mr Campbell confronted Mr Mohammed, shouting at him "What have you done? What have you done?"

Tube passengers can be seen fleeing from the train and some passengers running in pursuit of Mr Mohammed.

Earlier, Mr Campbell, 43, told the court how there was a loud explosion and he had felt "cowed".

THE ACCUSED

Muktar Said Ibrahim, 28, from Stoke Newington, north London

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address

Witnesses recall tube trip

Timeline of 'bomb plot' trial

In pictures: 'Bomb plot'

He said Mr Mohammed was screaming and shouting and there was smoke coming from behind him.

After leading a young mother Nadia Baro and her son away from the area, Mr Campbell returned to where Mr Mohammed was standing and demanded to know what a sponge-like debris lying smoking on the Tube carriage's floor was.

When told it was bread, Mr Campbell dismissed the claim, adding: "It was nonsensical, it didn't make sense to me."

He then shouted - "swearing vociferously" - at the accused: "You are scaring us, I want to help you, I can help you, but I want you to lie down."

"I needed him to be submissive to me," he said.

Mr Campbell pulled the emergency alarm lever and the train stopped at Oval station. Seconds later the doors opened and Mr Mohammed ran off.

"Perhaps I could have intercepted him," said Mr Campbell.

But Mr Justice Adrian Fulford, said: "It is not easy for you, Mr Campbell."

Mr Campbell and Ms Baro were among up to 30 passengers on the train when Mr Mohammed allegedly tried to detonate an explosive mix of hydrogen peroxide and chapatti flour.

Angus Campbell spoke of having felt "cowed"

Ms Baro, who was with her nine-month-old son at the time, told the court she was in a panic and thought she was going to die.

She said she noticed the person next to her was wearing a rucksack then she heard a bang and something came out of the bag and fell onto the floor.

Ms Baro described the substance coming from the rucksack as being like a sponge or a foam with bits of nails on it, and that she could smell something like the smell of oil.

'Too slippery'

Retired engineer George Brawley described how he grappled with Mr Mohammed who "came running up the platform like Linford Christie."

"I grabbed him by his forearms. I did not know what to do to stop him. But he broke free easily. He got past me without breaking step. I did my best but he was too slippery," said Mr Brawley.

Six men deny charges of conspiracy to murder

He pressed the stop button on the station's escalators and although Mr Mohammed stumbled he recovered and carried on.

Former soldier Arthur Burton-Garbett, 72, told the court he leapt from the train in pursuit of Mr Mohammed.

Mr Burton-Garbett said he smelt the distinctive odour of cordite, which he recognised from his time testing ammunition in the army.

He said he was about nine or 10 steps behind Mr Mohammed on the escalator but "started to run out of steam".

watch the video

N.O.R.F   

Bomb material 'as strong as TNT'

The explosive was in a container covered with nails, the jury heard

The explosive used by the alleged 21 July bombers was as powerful as TNT or gelignite, a jury has been told.

Forensics expert Claire McGavigan said that, had one of the devices exploded, lethal shrapnel would have travelled at "hundreds of metres a second".

People could have died, been seriously injured or lost limbs, she told Woolwich Crown Court.

Six men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions on London's transport network in 2005.

They are Manfo Asiedu, Muktar Ibrahim, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yahya.

Pictures of the 21/7 suspects

The jury has heard how none of the four bombs set off in three Tube trains and a bus exploded properly.

Mr Mohammed is alleged to have tried to detonate a rucksack bomb on a Northern Line train between Stockwell and Oval.

There would be serious damage to the train itself, there would be serious injuries, quite possibly death to people in the area at the time

Claire McGavigan

Ms McGavigan, a senior case officer at the Forensics Explosives Laboratory in Kent, tested samples from his bag.

"It was comparable to the gelignite and the TNT used in the same tests. These are both high explosives as well," she said.

"Any fragment travelling at that speed and possibly very hot is very dangerous and can obviously embed itself in a person and cause serious injury.

"There would be serious damage to the train itself, there would be serious injuries, quite possibly death to people in the area at the time."

On the day of the alleged attempted attacks, Ms McGavigan examined the remains of Mr Mohammed's alleged bomb on the floor of the Tube carriage.

It had a "strong chemical smell, a bit like bleach", was sticky and made her eyes sting when she tried to scoop it up, she said.

She also told the court that she thought the home-made device had not gone off because of a problem with the detonator.

"It appears that the most likely reason was that the initiator containing the TATP [triacetone triperoxide - an explosive sometimes used in detonators] wasn't actually powerful enough to set off the main charge in this particular case," she said.

Smoking and burning

The explosive was placed in a plastic container with shrapnel such as nails and screws taped to the outside, the court heard.

Earlier the jury was told that a sample of the explosive charge from Mr Mohammed's rucksack started to smoke and burn through layers of forensic packaging five days after the attempted attacks.

Ms McGavigan said she had smelt burning the moment she went into a separate building to the main laboratory on 26 July 2005, where the sample was kept.

The pale yellow gel-like mixture was being stored in special anti-static bags, placed in water and then in plastic boxes, the court heard.

She told the jury that she and the principal forensic investigator had hosed down the outside of the bag.

"Some of the material had burnt and was black and charred. It burnt through three layers of packaging and left a hole," she said.

--------------------------------------------------

Park-keeper 'found 21 July bomb'

The discarded device was left at Little Wormwood Scrubs Park, in west London.

Enlarge Image

A park-keeper has told a court he found a homemade bomb allegedly dumped by one of the men accused of plotting an attack in London on 21 July 2005.

Jackie Whitcomb told Woolwich Crown Court how he discovered the package in Little Wormwood Scrubs Park, west London, and sealed off the area.

Prosecutors claim the device was left there by Manfo Asiedu, who "lost his nerve" at the last minute.

Mr Asiedu, 33, and five others deny conspiracy to murder.

All six men also deny a charge of conspiracy to cause explosions.

They are accused of attempting to carry out suicide attacks on London's transport network.

'Viable device'

Mr Whitcomb told the jury how he was clearing litter in the park on 23 July when a white container in the shrubbery caught his eye.

"It stuck out quite a lot. I didn't realise what it was."

THE ACCUSED

Muktar Ibrahim, 29, from Stoke Newington, north London

Manfo Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address

He said he bent down and picked it up but "saw the nuts and bolts on it and slowly put it down and briskly walked away".

Colin Goodson, a police explosives officer, was called to the park shortly afterwards.

Giving evidence, he said the device was still intact when he arrived and there were wires coming out of the bottom - but he managed to dismantle it.

Mr Goodson said he ran tests on the bomb and was satisfied at the time that he was "dealing with a viable device".

Earlier, the jury watched CCTV footage said to show the moment another of the alleged conspirators tried to set off a bomb on a bus.

The prosecution say Muktar Ibrahim was caught on camera trying to detonate explosives on a number 26 bus in Shoreditch, east London

The other defendants are Hussein Osman, Ramzi Mohammed, Yassin Omar and Adel Yahya.

The trial continues.

N.O.R.F   

'Bus bomb bid' CCTV shown to jury

Mr Ibrahim and five other men deny conspiracy to murder

Surveillance footage

A jury has seen CCTV footage said to show the moment one of the men on trial over the alleged 21 July 2005 bomb plot tried to set off a device on a bus.

Muktar Ibrahim is accused of trying to detonate a homemade bomb on a number 26 bus in Shoreditch, east London.

A park-keeper also told Woolwich Crown Court how he found a bomb allegedly dumped by Manfo Asiedu.

Mr Ibrahim, 29, Mr Asiedu, 33, and four other men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

THE ACCUSED

Muktar Ibrahim, 29, from Stoke Newington, north London

Manfo Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address

The other defendants are Hussein Osman, Ramzi Mohammed, Yassin Omar and Adel Yahya.

Mr Yahya is accused of helping to plan the alleged attacks while the others are all said to have set out on 21 July 2005 to carry out suicide bombings London's transport network.

But the prosecution claimed Mr Asiedu "lost his nerve" and left his bomb in Little Wormwood Scrubs Park, west London.

'Eye contact'

Bus driver Mark Maybanks told Woolwich Crown Court he heard a "loud bang" and thought another vehicle had hit him.

The discarded device was left at Little Wormwood Scrubs Park, in west London.

Enlarge Image

Mr Maybanks said he found a rucksack on the floor on the top deck of the bus with the alleged explosive mixture of hydrogen peroxide and chapatti flour "oozing out of the sides".

"I have never smelt anything like it before," Mr Maybanks told the court. "It was definitely a tainted smell, something that is not right on a bus."

Mr Ibrahim is alleged to have tried to set off his bomb shortly after 1300 on Shoreditch High Street, near the junction with Hackney Road.

The CCTV footage played in court showed passengers on both decks of the bus suddenly turning in their seats at the sound of the bang.

The film showed the man said to be Mr Ibrahim then abandon the rucksack near his seat at the back of the top deck and climb down the stairs.

The remains of the alleged device were found on the top deck

Mr Maybanks, who had stopped the bus in the middle of the road, opened the bus doors and walked to the back to check for damage.

It was at this point that Mr Ibrahim is said to have left the vehicle and fled the scene.

After establishing there had not been collision, Mr Maybanks drove to a bus stop.

Mr Maybanks said he climbed the stairs to the top deck and noticed several screws - alleged by the prosecution to have been packed around the bomb.

Mr Maybanks said Mr Ibrahim had caught his attention when he got on the Waterloo to Hackney Wick bus near Bank station.

"It was the way he boarded the bus that makes it stick out in my mind," he said.

"This particular gentlemen was waving the bus pass in a funny kind of manner and made staring eye contact with me."

DNA match

The jury was also read a statement from a passenger who had fallen asleep on the top deck of bus.

Security officer Abu Kamara, said he was "woken by a big bang".

21 JULY 'BOMB PLOT' TRIAL

Map of London showing key locations of prosecution case

Enlarge Map

He added: "I was very shocked and didn't know what was going on. I could smell something burning.

"The bang that I heard sounded like a handful of marbles or glass being dropped from a height on the floor."

Det Con Graham Innes told the court that Mr Ibrahim's DNA was found on a battery alleged by the prosecution to have been part of the bomb.

Later, park keeper Jackie Whitcomb described how he came across one of the alleged homemade bombs in shrubbery two days after the alleged failed attacks.

Mr Whitcomb said the white top of a container "stuck out quite a lot".

"I saw the nuts and bolts on it and slowly put it down and briskly walked away," he said.

The trial was adjourned until Tuesday.

watch the cctv footage