Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Becoming a Family

Baashi   

Becoming a Family

By Roger Scruton

I grew to immaturity in the sixties, at the moment famously, and ironically, described by Philip Larkin:

Sexual intercourse began

In nineteen sixty-three

(Which was rather late for me)—

Between the end of the Chatterley ban

And the Beatles' first LP.

Young people of my generation had no time for Larkin's irony and simply dismissed traditional sexual morality as a clutter of meaningless taboos. The old culture endured among adults, especially those who had fought in the war and learned firsthand that societies depend on sacrifice. But the fidelity of our elders to the old mores merely caused our experiments to appear romantic and sophisticated in our own eyes, marks of a singular freedom of mind.

In truth, I didn't enjoy the spectacle of permissiveness and half suspected that the old morality was right. Nevertheless, I was not going to miss out on the available freedoms and felt entitled to my share of thrills. Like many of my generation, therefore, I was reluctant to marry and did so only when I discovered that my experiment in cohabitation had ceased to be an experiment and had become a commitment instead.

My wife-to-be had been brought up as a Roman Catholic in provincial France. We had lived together through the antics of May 1968, which impressed both of us with the destructiveness and ********* of people when guided by nothing more than a desire for liberation. Marriage was to bring an end to such childish things and to imbue our life with discipline.

Here...long article but a good read

Kool_Kat   

Bismilah, war heedhe wuxu dherer badanaa...I gave up after the 3rd paragraph...It'll take me about a week to finish the article...

So I decided to skim through it, until I got to the part:

When I met Sophie, six years ago, I knew how ridiculous it was for a man of 50 to propose marriage to a girl of 22.

My thought, child molester...UFFFFFFFFF...Then I closed the link...

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

quote:

When I met Sophie, six years ago, I knew how ridiculous it was for a man of 50 to propose marriage to a girl of 22.

My thought, child molester...UFFFFFFFFF...Then I closed the link... [/QB]
That was little childish Kool

Kool_Kat   

Jacaylbaro, I don't see how that's childish...I chose to close the like...That's my choice, I guess I am entitle to that, no...

Cara.   

Kool Kat, on the contrary I didn't blink at that part (come on, this is a thread opened by Baashi icon_razz.gif ), but closed the link after:

We were introduced in the hunting field, constrained by the meticulous courtesies of which fox hunting is, in England, one of the few remaining preserves

How romantic, to come across the love of your life while out to murder small animals for sport.

Baashi   

^ Bumbing 'nd grinding...I mean... a night club would've been fine I guess! Talk about ha lagaa sheego :D

The thesis! ku gal reer dudaaye baa ku galgashay. Maasha la yiri doob dareen baa dilay :D

Kool Qallanjo I see you have a problem with a 22 years old woman making an informed decisions! (on her own) Why oh why awoowe? she is old enough to make that kinda decision, yes? I dunno I have a hunch that ya have a reason to object on Sophie's choices in life smile.gif Why oh why?

Btw where, on the age spectrum, would you make the cut: max/min -> 20/10, 10/5, 5/2.5

Cara.   

Baashi, I wouldn't care, as long as they're not bashing in the heads of baby sea lions in the night club, just for the fun of it...

LOL @ "doob dareen baa dilay". I like it.