Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

Wedding Ring

roobleh   

Groom: Nomadisha, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love. As it encircles your finger, may it remind you always that you are surrounded by my enduring love.

Bride: I will wear it gladly. Whenever I look at it, I will remember this joyous day and the vows we've made. roobleh, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love. As it encircles your finger, may it remind you always that you are surrounded by my enduring love.

Okay, which finger does the wedding ring go on?

BallChain.jpg

roobleh   

In ancient times, wedding ring was usually worn by the bride. It was a symbol of that wife is possessed by the husband. Once ringed, she was no longer available to other men.

roobleh   

^ you sure it is not the right hand, third finger?

The following picture, third finger is the "justice finger." Physicians also rub KY-jelly and use this finger for patient check up.

InnerHeartLine.gif

Blessed   

That's the one. Somalis call it Faadumo. I don't know why. There's a sweet but silly myth that a vein from this finger reaches the heart..hence the wedding ring.

Edit

Waa goorma aroosku. Are we invited ;)

roobleh   

Waa goorma aroosku. Are we invited

BH, educating myself while still looking. smile.gif Are u available? ;)

Some people believe that the third finger has a vein or artery that is directly linked to the heart. Since, one cannot put a ring around the heart, this finger is the most suitable place to put the ring. This finger is also more sensitive to touch than other fingers.

roobleh   

Do you know that a bride marrying in the Church of England has to kiss the minister before kissing her groom. Imagine minister saying, "Now, I may kiss the bride." Mmmmwah, Mmmmwah...

And on the day of wedding, a Hindu bride arrives at the ceremony wearing clothing from her parents. After wedding, she is dressed in clothing privided by her husband.

In old Islamic custom, both the bride and groom painted each others hand with henna the night before the wedding. This was done so the bride and groom will know each other and bond.

By the way, why the bride stands on the left while the groom stands on the right?

Back to the topic, do you wear a wedding ring, and on which hand?

Ibtisam   

^^YEs Left hand Third Finger. MEn should not wear wedding rings,.... but then again nor should women....it has lost it's meaning to be honest, and ( i can say few other things about it, but i won't put you off getting your ring

p.s. how odd, the ring before the bride/ groom is located :D lol funny world

JUSTICE   

Roobleh, How is Qatar these days??? And is the big day coming???

the bride is located to the groom's left so she will be closer to his heart, I guess.

You should know that, don't you watch Egyptian drama, they always talk about weddings.

Ms DD   

No need to wear a ring. This is dhaqan we never had. Why must we follow alien culture? Wearing white dress, throwing the flower bouquet behind you, and wearing a ring and even going to honeymoon..I personally boycotted them all.

Zafir   

^Ring?? Umm acceptable, I personally feel I am suffocating when I wear one. But, honeymoon? In the good old days, Somali men used to take their new brides on their shoulders to a deserted area, build new shelters and stay there until the faramaceesi is done. Don’t be so quick to dismiss the idea of a honeymoon, its right up there with every necessities of life sustenance.

Ms DD   

lol@ faramaceesi!

Dont you think it is tad over-dramatisation to equate honeymoon with necessities of life sustenance? The story of men throwing thier brides over their shoulder and taking to deserted area is a story my grandma omitted to mention. Tell me more bal..

Zafir   

^Perhaps, the sustenance part came off as bit dramatic. But, to my defense, didn’t know how else to explain the joy of honeymoon to a young lady who dismisses the idea of it and has deprived her self of that joy. Besides, granny should have shared bits and pieces of her hey day stories with you.

roobleh   

p.s. how odd, the ring before the bride/ groom is located lol funny world.

xanthus,

Though nothing is perfect, I want to be 'ready' when the moment is right.

Roobleh, How is Qatar these days??? And is the big day coming???

the bride is located to the groom's left so she will be closer to his heart, I guess.

You should know that, don't you watch Egyptian drama, they always talk about weddings.

justice,

Qatar is getting hot, and still small.

I heard the bride stands on the left because weddings used to be like the Jerry Springer tv show where ex-boyfriends and other thugs used to rush to the stage where the bride and the groom are. And sometimes, a feuding family will bring group of 'wedding crashers' to rescue a captured bride and return to her family. Therefore, the groom stood to the right to keep his right hand free, in case he needs to fight.

zafir,

I like the idea of taking the bride to a deserted area for 'faramacesi.' ;)

DD,

Dhaqan is not stationary, it is something that evolves over time.